animal life at my house in Sattahip

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: animal life at my house in Sattahip

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:05 pm

geordie wrote:dogs are genrally a lot better cared for here and not even flea,s

Not only is the care better, but the climate is friendlier to animals. There is danger around every corner here.
There was a cobra in the garden under some corrugated iron and I think that Patsy being so small would be fair game.
geordie wrote:my little monster will eat anything including chilli as long as he watches it go into your mouth

The instructions here are that the dogs are to never receive any food that any human eats because I don't want them begging while I eat or confusing my food with theirs.
I had 2 cats that I ruined in this way and my new regime is starting to work with Song. She is ignored at dinnertime and so after a short while she gives up.
fredlk

Postby otis-a » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:41 pm

seems like u did well to get such nice poochies if there r many snakes around. Nice pics of u new family addition(s)! Also good move to get a pair so they amuse themselves. How fare u shoes?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 am

fredlk wrote:The instructions here are that the dogs are to never receive any food that any human eats because I don't want them begging while I eat or confusing my food with theirs.
I had 2 cats that I ruined in this way and my new regime is starting to work with Song. She is ignored at dinnertime and so after a short while she gives up.

good policy or leave the scraps till way after you have finished unfortunately i have a wife who got them into bad habits :roll: but to be fair at the mum in laws no scraps means no dinner for the dogs they get a bowl of rice and whatever is left after the meal if you gave them dog food they wood think you were trying to poison them she is also the one who taught them to steal my bed when i was working nights she took them upstairs for protection / company

fredlk wrote:Not only is the care better, but the climate is friendlier to animals. There is danger around every corner here.
There was a cobra in the garden under some corrugated iron and I think that Patsy being so small would be fair game.
yes she would my worry here has always been foxes taking the pups so they were never allowed in the garden alone sam the old boy is great just tell him foxes do you job and he patrols the perimiter several times then sits at the door watching unlike ; pussy boy (benson) ther,s not a bird yet that he has shown fear too except a couple of crows and one rather large wood pigeon the rest he has chased off
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:17 am

otis-a wrote:Also good move to get a pair so they amuse themselves.

I would always get a pair of animals for when I myself get bored with entertaining them. This way there is always someone on hand to play with.
otis-a wrote:How fare u shoes?

They have enough other things to keep them entertained, but one pair of leather sandals Patsy likes to nibble sometimes. I am doing my best to wean her off them.
Song had a bad habit of stealing everyone's rubber sandals whenever she didn't get food or was punished or was generally unhappy.
She has done it twice since the puppies arrived, but now it's when she's jealous. She was punished and so I think / hope / dream that she's learning not to do it.
geordie wrote: at the mum in laws no scraps means no dinner for the dogs they get a bowl of rice and whatever is left after the meal

Song used to get (only) scraps, but because the alcoholic Ae and Nan were already eating scraps themselves and not much real food, the poor dog got next to nothing.
geordie wrote: if you gave them dog food they wood think you were trying to poison them

Song is the talk of the neighbourhood getting a can of food for each meal priced at between 35 and 55 Baht. Amnuay looked her in the eye and said "You're a lucky dog". She is looking all the better for it and being well-fed on her own types of food she also doesn't seem that interested in the puppy's food anymore.

A question for you experts: the vet says that puppy food should be given till 12 months old and I think till 6 months old. What's the general opinion?
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Fredic not one of mine would eat puppy food after mum stopped lactating roughly
4-5 weeks she would get her food and give it to them although we did give them up to 12 weeks puppy milk and puppy food was put down for them no interest was shown given that if in the wild after weaning they would eat whatever was available6-12 months ??????? i would laugh at certainly 12 weeks old should be enough for normal food any more than that and you will risk brand loyalty they will want the same puppy food for ever instead of dog food but the easy answer is either or
put some normal dog food down with the puppy food and let them decide once a week we give ours a couple of cooked chickens :) or pork chops :) or their favorite beef stew :roll: and ocasionally rump steak
My wife will not have anything to do with beef eating cooking or procesing it :arrow: unless its for the mutts and on the odd ocasion she has (recently)bought steak it gets destroyed in the cooking and fed too the dogs
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:56 pm

geordie wrote:put some normal dog food down with the puppy food and let them decide

I did that the other day and they went crazy for the adult food. The vet says that it doesn't contain enough nutrition for them at that age.
geordie wrote:My wife will not have anything to do with beef eating cooking or procesing it

I know many Thai like that. They think it's dirty. Beef used to be on all the menus as a choice alongside the chicken, pork and shrimp. It disappeared some years ago.

It's another scorching hot day. 34 degrees and "feels like 41" according to the reports. I decided to buy a dedicated bath for the puppies this morning and this afternoon I thought I'd put it out as a swimming pool just in case they were interested. After an hour or so, Eddy decided to have a go and once he was in, Patsy had to join him. They didn't sit down, but cooled their paws. I was a little envious. Tomorrow at sunset I think I'll take them and me down to the beach.
IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:17 pm

I find the nutrition story hard to beleive fred when you consider the diet of the average thai dog however as i said we used to give them puppy milk as a supplement;
even thirty years ago unless you were well off the dogs got the scraps
and little else
The problem is you do not know what is in the puppy food as oposed to the adult food you can see what they claim :!: :!: but that may have no bearing on whats in there i would let them change over as and when they choose especially if they wolfed the adult food it may well show the puppy food is not nutritious enough and they were hungry ? We have dry food and biccy,s out all day for them but they are well behaved with it and don,t pig out i think it,s a comfort thing because they know its there if they are pekish They just chew when they want
my mate had one jack we called the beer keg because of begging and too much food at 7 years it collapsed and died not good for the dog and not good for him but he would not force the dog to diet
we have only one pig the monster he is just over a year and has to have something in his mouth not to eat but to wind up the other dogs but the vet when she sees them alway compliments us on what good shape they are in (just before the bill :? ) so the methodology may not suit all but the dogs are happy and we are happy
We worked out last night the old boy is around 80 in human terms still goes for a walk every day can still spot the foxes perfectly has superb hearing and still loves to jump almost a mtr onto the window cill so he can look out he is also the choirmaster when the barking starts he is usually first to bark and last to bark
Nice of you to give them a paddling pool but more water :lol: :lol:
And of course more pictures :D :D
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:47 pm

geordie wrote:i would let them change over as and when they choose

I will most probably do that.
geordie wrote:We have dry food and biccy,s out all day for them but they are well behaved with it and don,t pig out

So do I, Royal Canine puppy food and I also have some Pedigree for puppies. They eat little bits the whole day and in between they get snacks of canned food.
They eat a can-full now in just over 2 days between the 2 of them.
geordie wrote:Nice of you to give them a paddling pool but more water

They will get more water when they can:
a. swim;
b. dry themselves;
c. get in and out of there without my help.
I'm not sure if / when all those criteria will be met. :lol:
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:01 pm

So they get the water now then :D
fredlk wrote:a. swim;
b. dry themselves;
c. get in and out of there without my help.
I'm not sure if / when all those criteria will be met. :lol:

A They swim naturally you just have to introduce them to it slowly so as not to frighten them but throw them into water they will make their way out i was muckin about with my mate on a jetski and sam would not swim out to me untill the ski pulled in beside me he swam past me and climbed onto the jetski he loved it

B they will shake out the surplus water and then drip dry or sunbathe

C You will soon regret that statement they are very agile
geordie

Postby Nawty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 am

We had wild elephants in our front yard a coupla months ago....beat that.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Nawty,
See, I told you, what else did the Border Collie bring home?
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:05 am

Yesterday we went down the road to the beach. Neither of them wanted to travel in the back seat so the front seat it was.
They weren't too impressed. It's just sand and water I heard them thinking.
Patsy spent her time digging until she reached wet sand and then lay in it and Eddy spent his time chewing on someone's chicken stick.
They seem to enjoy the large garden here more with its many and varied entertainments.

"I'm not impressed":
IMG_3952.jpg

"Me neither":
IMG_3960.jpg

"Is that a food stall up there?":
IMG_3955.jpg

"I've had enough, take me home":
IMG_3956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:17 am

About 10 days of having puppies and I'm quite exhausted. They're not doing number 2's in the house anymore, but for some reason they do still like to take a leak indoors at night. Patsy goes down the steps now to do her business and comes back up again on her own.

We fetched Song from the vet today after her 4 day hospitalisation. The poor dog shed loads of hair from stress and was wearing one of those horrible plastic funnel collars. She came home and the first thing we did was remove the collar, brush her, feed her and water her. She walked all over the grounds peeing and leaving her mark because Eddy had been doing that in her absence.

Eddy was really pleased to see her, but she isn't too interested just yet. Food and property seem to be her priorities.

I asked the vet mgv12 about the tick and flea injection. I think she said it's called Ivermectin or Iverectin and it kills the ticks.
She said that there is also Fipronil which you put as a spot on the neck and I think she said once a month.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:37 pm

fredlk wrote:
I asked the vet mgv12 about the tick and flea injection. I think she said it's called Ivermectin or Iverectin and it kills the ticks.
She said that there is also Fipronil which you put as a spot on the neck and I think she said once a month.

Thanks for that ... I had a problem findng the Revolution here but apparently Frontline Plus also kills ticks so am going with that for the time being. Daily grooming with a fine-tooth metal comb has helped a great deal and I am only finding the odd one now ... it's the [now very rare] odd male one crawling across the sofa that draws the most attention here!!!!! The females are slow and easy to catch but the small male ones are quick and good at hiding. Do ticks have a positive purpose in life? Don't think so!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:07 pm

MGV12 wrote:Do ticks have a positive purpose in life? Don't think so!

I think that they might be re-incarnated real-estate agents.
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand