animal life at my house in Sattahip

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: animal life at my house in Sattahip

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:33 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:MGV12,
I take the dog for a walk in the early morning and at night, he manages to collect more, even in the concrete jungle we live in at the present. Even when I had cattle and sheep dogs that would cover miles everyday in Australia I never had this acute problem as I do in Thailand

Good warning on that one (ticks) we have them over here and they are becoming an issue but only since burning off the stubble became taboo before that it was not a major problem although i have to say i have never seen one i do know a lady who got bitten by ticks caught some disease and nearly died if you pull them off wrong they leave bits inside the skin ??? very very bad for you
We have the dogs to the vets anually for an injection and health check ears are not a problem the dogs service each other taking turns to clean ears The injection is suposed to prevent half a dozen diseases including rabies which is not that common here The one i hate is whe the mutt starts dragging its butt across the floor it means its glands are blocked and a trip to the poodle parlour/vets where they sqeeze the gland ??? The guy at the poodle parlour does it with a shampoo and nail trim for £25 the vet £35 aparently simple to do the poodle parlour has offered to show me but not being at all keen on sticking my finger up the dogs butt i declined his offer and nearly throw up at the thought of it Worms we buy tablets 3-4 months give it to them with a treat so far so good no fleas so five fairly hyper active and fit jack russels who walk at least 1 hour a day courtesey of the wife Go for regular trips out in the car which they love and are admittedly spoiled rotten and a bit naughty
(amusingly) and all without having to buy THE BOOK :?:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 am

Last night they almost managed an accident-free night. Eddy went outside to do his business through the gap in the front door, but Patsy thought the bedspread she was on was also the toilet. This morning they woke me by barking when they were already outside playing with Song. Yesterday Eddy made it down the easier stairs I made for them, but promptly fell into a pile-hole so he won't go there unaccompanied just yet.
MGV12 wrote: use tick shampoos and powders regularly.

At Lotus yesterday I saw an anti-tick & flea shampoo so I bought it. This morning Song was tied to a post by her leash and she was washed and shampooed. She has a phobia about water, maybe having been sprayed or punished by the builders, but with a massage and shampoo to go with it and being spoken to gently, she almost seemed to enjoy it. She got a doggy-bone as a treat.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:21 am

:lol: the old boy used to love a bath and now hates it Jasmine tolerates a bath benson enjoy,s the fuss once he is in there popcorn is indifident but monster dog will steal any bath left unattended for more than two minuites
the water in my house is tuned to lukewarm because of him he will jump in with the water still running and sits laughing because he beat you to it for twenty years the door to my workshop/tools has been open(unlocked)
now its locked he steals tools the brush off the dustpan he has laid claim to as a toy and gets the hump following the wife around if she is trying to use it and strangely he is the only one who hate,s the car twenty mins - half an hour he throws up Fred you have so much to look forward to :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 am

geordie wrote:Fred you have so much to look forward to

I know. :D I have always been aware of how much work dogs can be and that is why I only have them now when I have a large enough piece of land to not have to take them walkies many times a day. I hate dog walking if it's compulsory. The beauty of here is that they can run free and get more than enough excercise and at the same time are safe from most dangers like roads and strange dogs. By the time they're a few months old they should have adopted the whole area as their own together with Song and I doubt if any animal will venture near here.
geordie wrote: he steals tools the brush off the dustpan

They love the broom here too, maybe because it reminds them of their mothers.
geordie wrote:he is the only one who hate,s the car twenty mins - half an hour he throws up

Today we're going to the vet, a 4 kilometre journey and they will be together in their carrying case. I do not expect any throwing up.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 pm

It's darn hot today. Beautiful and sunny, not a breeze and 32.4 degrees according to my thermometer. Too hot for much romping about.

Some "oh-cute!" puppy photos:
IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Today was the day at the vet. The puppies in the car, at first in the carrying-box, was unpleasant for them and so they were let out and lay quietly on the back seat. At the clinic - where there are 18 vets in attendance - they were carried and taken care of and inspected. Inside Patsy's ear they found parasites which under a microscope look a little like ticks. Horrible creatures. Her ears were cleaned and drops were given to both dogs and they have to have drops in their ears for the next 7 days. Also in the ear was a tick. Both dogs received tick-and-flea injections and Patsy received her first general vaccination. Next week she goes back for a booster and the week after Eddy gets his shots which we are doing not knowing what the so-called shots were he received before we got him. Both have a medical passport and today's procedures cost 1,600 Baht. I'll take them there every month or so for a general check-up. The vet estimates the ages as two and a half months for Eddy and 2 months and a week for Patsy going by their teeth.

They were brought home and with the smell of them in the car, Song decided she would trust me and get inside. She arrived at the clinic and was a little scared, but okay because she had me with her. 2 large male dogs thought she was a likely lay and charged at her, but she escaped under my chair. She was inspected and injected and blood was taken to determine her blood group in preparation for her operation tomorrow. She will spend the night there because taking her back home will mean she will never ever get in the car again. After the operation she will stay there for 4 days. The operation plus hospitalisation will cost 2,700 baht. Food is extra and I chose a medium grade at 55 Baht a can for each meal. In the 4 days there her wound will be treated and she will receive antibiotics.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Fred ... when you go there tomorrow would you enquire for me as to what the name of the "tick-and-flea" injection serum is and what it does? Does it make them drop off ... or sterilise them ... or kill them? I assume it didn't cause the puppies any distress otherwise you would have mentioned it. As I posted previously ... my dog literally climbed the wall when given a tick injection which was supposed to kill them; it wasn't that effective either! Thanks

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 pm

MGV12 wrote:Fred ... when you go there tomorrow would you enquire for me as to what the name of the "tick-and-flea" injection serum is and what it does? Does it make them drop off ... or sterilise them ... or kill them? I assume it didn't cause the puppies any distress otherwise you would have mentioned it. As I posted previously ... my dog literally climbed the wall when given a tick injection which was supposed to kill them; it wasn't that effective either! Thanks

There was no distress although now, 4 or 5 hours later they're still sleeping. :( It was injected into the skin at the neck. I'm not sure if it was a puppy-dose, but this is what it has on the itemised bill:

antiparasitic 40 Baht;
Revolution 190 Baht;
Dexoryl 280 Baht;
Quantum Vaccine 280 Baht;
ear cleaning 80 Baht;
medicine - eardrops and pills for boosting immune system 320 Baht;
ear wax examination 100 Baht.

It was either the antiparasitic or the Revolution. When I collect Song in a few days time I will ask if it's again a vet who speaks English.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Fred

Where is the clinic you used having 18 vets in attendance seems an awful lot, cost seems very reasonable though obviously don't take after the Bangkok Pattaya hospital. Do they also do grooming services our little house dog needs a trim sometime soon I guess. My friend uses a product called Frontline which is supposed to be very good but quite expensive at about 400 baht a shot
pattayapope

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:30 pm

fredlk wrote:
It was either the antiparasitic or the Revolution. When I collect Song in a few days time I will ask if it's again a vet who speaks English.

It was the Revolution - http://www.1800petmeds.com/Revolution-prod10265.html - thanks ... worth a try as it claims to do a lot of things.

Pattayapope ... I have used Frontline and Advantage before for fleas and they seem to do the job. Advantix is the tick version but it only claims to stop the females that have fed on the dog from laying fertile eggs ... but as the habit of ticks is to come and go you can get one that has fed elsewhere and then comes and lays it's fertile eggs on your dog or indeed in your house. Better one that kills them as long as it's safe for the dog; side effects and allergies in dogs as in humans.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:33 pm

pattayapope wrote:Where is the clinic you used having 18 vets in attendance seems an awful lot, cost seems very reasonable though obviously don't take after the Bangkok Pattaya hospital. Do they also do grooming services our little house dog needs a trim sometime soon I guess.

Sattahip is full of vets. In between all these practices is the Animal Clinic which is just opposite Tesco Lotus at 'Kilo soon' (kilometre-post zero). I presume that all the vets also practise there and that is why there are 18 names listed. I think they are open 24 hours a day and it was clean and bright and had no smell whatsoever unlike a vet's-practice in Holland. In attendance were a couple of vets, a couple of receptionists and a few nurses and handlers. I'm sure they would do grooming, but apart from all the vets there seem to be as many pet shops and the pet shop where I got the puppies is about half a kilometre before the clinic and they wash and groom and trim. I'm sure they will be cheap as most of the people in Sattahip are Thai and the prices are not adjusted for Farang as they might be down your way. The pet shop is about 20 metres before the pedestrian bridge and about 200 metres before the Sukhumvit does a left turn.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Fred as the post is animal life at your house i have a request i found some pictures of a dog i used to have an old english sheepdog he was fantastic when he wanted to be highly trained highly inteligent but he became a bit of an embarrasment behavior wise then he took off ??

IT will put to bed certain comments that i need to buy a certain book and read it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 pm

geordie wrote: i have a request i found some pictures of a dog i used to have an old english sheepdog

If the request is to post the photos, send them to me by email.
geordie wrote:an old english sheepdog

Beautiful and very gentle dogs, but would have a hard time in this climate.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:58 pm

As I am the resident faeces-disposal person, before this evening's removal I spotted huge worms in them. That vet has already earned my loyalty.
Eddy has found his way down the stairs and into the garden and was trying to eat the baby pumpkin that has just started to grow. He barks and loves the sound of his own voice and so he barks some more. Patsy followed him into the garden, but she first made sure that I was close by. She was more interested in the flowers. :)
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46 pm

My lot have a ringleader 1 barks all join in to the chorus the problem is at 3-30
when the kids walk past on the way from school = sing song postman = sing song
mum taking child to school = sing song boy delivers newspaper = sing song man with leaflet sing song fox in the street = major sing song anyone near the house results in a chorus but a cat in the garden is real sport with five dogs trying their best to climb a two mtr fence we have been lucky i supose as dogs are genrally a lot better cared for here and not even flea,s we do give them worm tablets but to date nothing soon you will find your three cleaning each others ears my little monster will eat anything including chilli as long as he watches it go into your mouth first he loves sour apples ? and pork scratchings are another favorite but they are good for behavior he will walk around guarding them for up to six hours
and with them in his mouth he cannot bark :roll:
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand