animal life at my house in Sattahip

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: animal life at my house in Sattahip

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:27 am

No doubt on them being allie,s the pack instinct is very strong my lot demonstrate it every day trying to kill each other :lol: :lol: :lol: but then a strange dog apears suddenly they are best freinds again as soon as the threat has gone its back to the buisness of killing each other
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 am

Originally it was only Eddy who did the catching and exterminating and Patsy would assist, but she has become a 1st class exterminator in her own right.
This morning 2 toads down, hundreds still to go:
IMG_5163.JPG

IMG_5161.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:42 am

This morning Eddy refused to come home with us after our walk and insisted on staying in the fields to sniff out the squirrels. When he did return alone he was not quite the same white dog:
after walkies.png

Then, after I'd calmed down we went for our morning drive. As we passed a field with cows and storks I slowed down. My mistake. Eddy launched himself out through the window and ran to see what these big dogs smelled like. I stopped the car, got out and after a while managed to catch him, but by the time he was back in the car and the windows shut, Patsy was running about barking at the cows. The storks had fled, one cow bolted breaking it's tether and after what must have been more than 5 minutes I cornered her and threw her in the car. What a start to the day!

Anybody want 2 Jack Russells? They come as a package together with a selfish, stupid, brainless idiot of a soi dog.

Rant over. I'll love them to bits again later in the day ..... and I'll even give the big black one a pat, maybe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby elgato » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 am

Your pasture story would've made a great video :lol:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby fredlk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 am

elgato wrote:Your pasture story would've made a great video :lol:

I have some chase videos - dogs chasing dogs - and some other action videos, but during that chase I was much too agitated to do any filming.
I'd almost forgotten that disastrous morning. We're back to loving each other completely and utterly. What I'm not too fond of is when they have a late-night encounter with a toad, get covered in gunk and then sand and then come to bed. The main reason for my dislike is that both of them sleep with their noses touching mine if they can and smelling toad all night gives me bad dreams.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:04 am

Soft touch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i am hoping they will teach my lot what come natural to them or i get the feeling they will not live long out there
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 am

geordie wrote:i am hoping they will teach my lot what come natural to them or i get the feeling they will not live long out there

When they visit, if they are humble enough to let the young'uns demonstrate their skills, they might learn that it's enjoyable to hunt.
Of course you will have to let them out more and have a walled garden or other place for them to practice in for when they get back home.
Luckily most of the bugs and animals are not deadly, even when toxic. The toad for example is toxic and emits the toxin through the skin.
Eddy knew instinctively never to bite one while Patsy did it once by mistake and soon after ate grass madly to throw up the stuff she'd swallowed.
Even the snake venom just harms not kills and if you can get to a vet within a couple of hours, there's no lasting damage.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:04 am

We have a walled garden in Bkk but i am hoping not too much in the way of snakes or toads :roll: The other problem is that the monster and his sister bolt when off the lead and refuse to come back :mrgreen: i am limited as to pursuit so have to be very careful although i do want them to be able to run around free to a degree the house we had was larger with a reasonable sized garden and a big park two mins away which they loved unfortunately the temporary hovel has a garden the size of a handkercheif and the house is tiny they hate it so other than the trauma of the flight they should be happy to have somewhere a bit bigger to run around the sad part of all this is the old boy who has been a most loyal freind is being picked up on wedensday by my mate he will be well cared for and he love,s Richard to bits so he will be ok and i will see him in a couple of months anyway
maybe have him back for a couple of weeks but then will he find it strange without his pack
around i have no idea whats best for him really but if the other enjoy life as much as yours seem too :D :D :D i will be happy
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:40 am

fredlk wrote:
BKKBILL wrote:Those little dogs are eating well.

Not only 2 small dogs, but 1 large one lives here as well.

1 item of fresh pork or chicken per day at 40 to 50 Baht.
1 can of Tesco brand dog food at 28 Baht or Pedigree at 48 Baht per day.
Dry food at various prices, a negligible amount on a daily basis.
The odd can of mackerel at a few Baht and doggy treats as well as doggy sweets.

The bits of people-food don't count because they generally prefer their own menu.

Breakfast of pork bones. I cut off the meat which they eat first, but nothing beats the enjoyment of a good fresh bone:
IMG_5190.jpg
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:40 am

My lot go mad for pork ribs and of course chicken / steak / liver / duck we do give them dog food as well :) what they really enjoy are hyde chews about the size of a pencil so she is worried they will miss them :wink: made in thailand so unlikely
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:55 am

geordie wrote:My lot go mad for pork ribs and of course chicken / steak / liver / duck we do give them dog food as well :) what they really enjoy are hyde chews about the size of a pencil so she is worried they will miss them :wink: made in thailand so unlikely

They prefer those to the Jekyll chews then?

Chews of all shapes and sizes available by the truckload here so no worries.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby payebacs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:40 am

Gee, in the photo above I can actually see that black dog is quite big! Before, somehow thought you were just exagerating cos the other one's are so small. Did he come with the land?
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby fredlk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:05 am

payebacs wrote:Gee, in the photo above I can actually see that black dog is quite big! Before, somehow thought you were just exagerating cos the other one's are so small. Did he come with the land?

The builders who were living here at the time had a son and he adopted 2 soi dog puppies. One had died by the time I moved in and then they moved out and didn't take the dog.
The dog only knew this place as her home and as I fed her she stayed and became a protector. She's a bit dim-witted after generations of inbreeding, but she's a playmate for the other 2.

She (Song) barks at the approach of cars or people.
Patsy barks at the approach of dogs.
Eddy barks when spotting prey - toads, frogs, squirrels, mice, snakes, ......

Nothing and nobody gets near here unnoticed. :D
fredlk

Postby payebacs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:23 am

Brilliant. All you need now is Stevie Wonder side by side on my piano keyboard oh lord why don't we! :lol: What harmony.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby fredlk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:41 pm

MGV12 wrote:
fredlk wrote:On my morning doggy-drive

I have concerns about your latest post Fred and the major one is "morning doggy-DRIVE"! :roll: Tell us it isn't so ....

Unfortunately - for you - it is so. :lol:

I get up at about 5 a.m., but as it starts to dawn at around 6 the dogs are sitting waiting and agitating for us to go hunting which we do. We walk for about an hour or so through the fields mostly hunting squirrels. I'm just a spectator in case you're wondering about that too.

We get home, breakfast is served and then we all get washed and changed (me, that is - they don't have any clothes to change) and by 7:30 or 8 at the latest the dogs are waiting and agitating for us to go driving. The moment I get the car keys all hell breaks loose and I'm almost dragged to the car. They jump in, each to their favourite window, Patsy right and Eddy left and then we do a 10 kilometre tour of the surroundings. They bark when barked at but most of the dogs in the neighbourhood are by now used to the Audi with 2 wing-mirrors shaped like jack Russells.

Anyhow, I enjoy it, they do too and tell me, what else can I do with my time?
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand