animal life at my house in Sattahip

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: animal life at my house in Sattahip

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:56 pm

otis-a wrote:good on u dog story. Think u will find em pretty easy to house train. Once they know ur hse = they hse is very simple: dog's #1 rule - never poo in u own house. They usually will wimper or lick u face or stand by door to inform u of the appointed time. Is much quicker process if u take them on regular walkabouts on u land. There they gladly mark their territory to warn other dogs no-go.

The plan is to take them down the 3 stairs into the garden and the designated toilet area, but on their own they can't go down those stairs or come back up again. Their legs are far too small. They already go outside of the house to do something, but with the garden training I'll have to wait a couple of weeks. The other dog already uses it and so will most probably teach them before I can. She has already tried to pick them up by the neck, but they resisted so she gave up. They've only known each other for about 8 hours and so it can only get better. Tonight I'll leave the door open for them to come and go as they like. They've already explored most of the house and patio area.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:08 pm

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:07 pm

The first garden expedition. It lasted 10 minutes for Patsy and she had to be carried back to the house for water and food. Eddy managed very well.

Now son, we call this grass. If all else fails it's food and often better than his leftovers:
IMG_3898.JPG

Girl girl, what are you doing? You'll fall in if you don't watch out:
IMG_3899.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:38 pm

its Lovely .....
Sunpax

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Sunpax wrote:its Lovely .....

And to think I never had dogs, never wanted dogs and now I have 3!
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:31 am

C,mon Fred they are just so cute how could anyone fail to fall in love with them ?
Its got me wanting more puppie,s and i have too many dogs already with 5 of them
We used to build little ramps for the pups with bits of wood to get them over hurdle,s including taking a cusion off the sofa so they could get up there and play king of the castle now they are like little acrobats with the climbing antic,s the favourite position is the window sill guarding the street? any movement in it is followed by a chorus
The back/top of the sofa or armchair is a good vantage point to study the territory and decide who to attack (monster dog and his dad both do it) then pounce like cats on each other
Putting a lead on jasmine get,s an instant response popcorn and monster grab the lead an drag the poor cow around the living room and have even manage to get her into the garden then stood guard over the door barking at mum ? because she was going walkies first
You will be suprised at how entertaining they can be Fred some evenings i do not bother to turn on the tv
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:36 am

geordie wrote:C,mon Fred they are just so cute how could anyone fail to fall in love with them ?

I knew beforehand that when I went to look at them i would want them. They are so cute.
geordie wrote:We used to build little ramps for the pups

Last night they were inside because Song was a little grumpy and was outside. They got onto the bed with my help, but unfortunately couldn't get off when it was time to pee. :roll:
I have to do something about this. The other stuff they did elsewhere and this morning outside.
geordie wrote:then pounce like cats on each other

Eddy and Patsy have discovered each other as playmates now and they do the same and they growl in turns and then Patsy bites Eddy's ear.
If I'm in the way I get the teeth on my toe or whatever's at hand.

The weather's cool(ish) and rainy, but today I want them to be outside the whole day if possible, under cover of course if it's raining.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:44 am

fredlk wrote:
The weather's cool(ish) and rainy, but today I want them to be outside the whole day if possible, under cover of course if it's raining.

They should be fine outside fred song will keep them amused put their bed out with them they need a lot of sleep also some food and water which song will
steal of course but when they start whinging for food she will start to leave it alone usually a couple of day,s strangely enough the dad will take food to them
normally where as the mother will show them where it is and let them fend for themselves

fredlk wrote:
Eddy and Patsy have discovered each other as playmates now and they do the same and they growl in turns and then Patsy bites Eddy's ear.
If I'm in the way I get the teeth on my toe or whatever's at hand.

Teeth like little sewing needle,s can be quite painful :cry: :o :o tell them off as soon as they do it otherwise it can become habit forming the same as jumping up and nipping your hand as a greeting which they will do but not deliberatly its how they greet each other

fredlk wrote: They got onto the bed with my help, but unfortunately couldn't get off when it was time to pee. :roll:
I have to do something about this. The other stuff they did elsewhere and this morning outside.
fred they have a nice bed let them use it till they learn some manners
put it up against your bed so they can see hear and smell you;
talking to them should settle them down also putting an old t shirt on for the day and chucking that on their bed might make them more relaxed
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:36 am

geordie wrote:some food and water which song will steal of course

That's been the problem till now, but she's slowly learning. It's only been a day so things are going well.
geordie wrote:they have a nice bed let them use it till they learn some manners
put it up against your bed so they can see hear and smell you;

It was next to the bed but for frolicking they got onto the bed and then went to the toilet. :lol:
I've changed the bedclothes and those ones unwashed will go into the entrance corridor for them to sleep on tonight.

Patsy is learning a lot from Eddy. She has just done her first pee outside. She went there especially. They're both eating and drinking well so it's all good news.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:54 am

"I love you."
IMG_3905.JPG

"I know we've only been together 36 hours, but I will love you forever."
IMG_3908.JPG
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:53 am

Things are going well. Last night was their first night out of the bedroom and at about 1:30 a.m. they cried for me and so I went and played with them until they were tired again. They had unfortunately relieved themselves, but this time only on the 2 mats that were there. They somehow didn't make it out of the opening in the front door that I'd left them. I woke them when I got up this morning and I put them outside. Both did their business and then they got breakfast. The tinned food is not as delicious it seems as the dried stuff they have to eat at all times.

Patsy is more Dachshund than Jack Russell we think. She's strong and she's the boss. She tells him off when she's had enough. In a tug of war she wins hands down. Her body is a little elongated compared to his although her face seems to have some Jack Russell. I bet the people who managed to sell her to us are really happy that they could get rid of this mongrel. :lol: Yesterday the poor girl backed off the patio and fell down the 2 metres. She was a little shaken, but soon recovered. They loved playing in the soft grass and Eddy and Song enjoyed running around.

Song is okay and starts to see the difference between her food and theirs and so in a couple of weeks / months ? / years ?? all will be hunky dory. Song and Eddy play a lot, but Patsy prefers playing with someone her own size or being with me, either in my arms or at my feet.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:48 am

Fred,
Just a cautionary note; you now own three dogs and all should be treated the same with no favours either way. The pups need a lot of things like vaccinations, a lot of them and be warned, they are susceptible to intestinal diseases in Thailand. They are small dogs, so they are more susceptible than most. They need regular heart worm tablets, as does the Thai dog. They need rabies shots... all of them.... and most of all they need a pack leader... someone to say no and chastise them. The most important thing is walking the dogs for an hour a day to show them you are the boss and looking after them. You don't need to worry about the pups at this stage, but you must put the Thai dog on a leash and walk her.
If you can get "The Dog Whisperer" with Caesar Milan, on Discovery and National Geographic channels, watch it, it's an education all by itself.
And don't forget to have all the dogs injected monthly for flees and ticks which can kill the dogs very quickly. You also need to clean their ears once a month at the least.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:09 am

Roger Ramjet wrote: injected monthly for flees and ticks which can kill the dogs very quickly.

Roger

I had my dog injected for the ticks one time here and she literally screamed with the pain ... she can take a lot of pain and usually doesn't even flinch with injections ... I said never again. The vet had said it was painful but that was ridiculous. We do however have an ongoing problem with the Brown Dog Ticks as we have a lot of 'jungle' around us and I currently de-tick her twice a day and use tick shampoos and powders regularly.

Does the serum your vet uses for injections kill the ticks or just make them infertile as with Advantix [spot treatment] and the like? If it kills them please would you find out the name of it.

Many thanks

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:14 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:you now own three dogs and all should be treated the same with no favours either way

That's what I'm trying to do, but Song needs some re-education. She needs to know that her food is not their food and vice versa. She's now allowed onto the house as are the puppies and they play together here. Soon the puppies will only be allowed outside and not inside during the day and so they'll be equal. Song is still a puppy and needs to learn that although she's the most important of the 3 she won't be allowed to bully. So far their play is quite gentle.
Roger Ramjet wrote:The pups need a lot of things like vaccinations, a lot of them

Tomorrow all 3 dogs will be going to the vet for a check-up and a health-plan and to set up 'maintenance'. I know to check the skin and ears and eyes and nose, but we'll go regularly to one of the many vets down the road or to the animal clinic nearby.
Roger Ramjet wrote:The most important thing is walking the dogs for an hour a day to show them you are the boss and looking after them.

Every afternoon we all go for a walk. Song sometimes on a lead so that she can get used to it. Eddy manages a 100 metres and then needs carrying. Patsy manages 20 metres and needs a rest. It's our daily recreation and bonding time. Soon they will all go to the beach, but their legs need to be a little stronger for that. Maybe in about 2 weeks or so.
Roger Ramjet wrote:If you can get "The Dog Whisperer" with Caesar Milan

Amongst many other books and videos I have Cesar Millan's book "How to Raise the Perfect Dog".
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:47 pm

MGV12,
I'll ask the vet the next time what they inject and let you know what it's called. I'm not sure if it kills them or causes the fleas and ticks to drop off. I do know they were putting something along his back and he hated it, but now they inject it.
The fleas and ticks we find on our dog are a major problem, we need to be constantly vigilant. I do know that each time I take the dog for a walk in the early morning and at night, he manages to collect more, even in the concrete jungle we live in at the present. Even when I had cattle and sheep dogs that would cover miles everyday in Australia I never had this acute problem as I do in Thailand.

Fred,
I'm pleased you have the book, I was worried there for a while, now don't forget to read it. I see Geordie doesn't have the book, or he's forgotten to read it, it would appear his dogs are the "pack leaders" and he doesn't realise it.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand