bugs

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

bugs

Postby fredlk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:55 pm

After about 4 weeks in my new home I think I've seen every reptile, bug, spider, insect and winged-creature possible. The only one I am aware of that is harmful is the red and black millipede and I've removed a couple of those already. The tree frogs seem to like my dressing-room. This morning I found the second one in there and he escaped somewhere into one of the drawers.

The only slight irritation are the minute flies, like fruit flies that seem to hover around me all the time during the day, especially around my eyebrows, my hands and my legs. Bug screens would never have helped keep them away as they travel with me like satellites and I am certain that air-conditioning wouldn't stop them either. I think they're after the minerals in my body. The only remedy for these flies is the fan which I have blowing on me when there's not much wind and that keeps them off me.

I heard 2 mosquitoes in the last 4 weeks but not once have I been bitten. Strange. I've mentioned before that I feel as if I've planted my house in the Serengeti and bees and wasps don't even notice I'm here. They fly into my study through the window and fly straight out again through the doors, taking a shortcut.
fredlk

Re: bugs

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Fredic we have a particular flower in the garden which is causing me the same problem the gnats bees
moths flies all of them visit ocasionally and more But this flower which should open soon seems to be a breeding ground for tiny black flies and if the patio door is open evenings ? (with five dogs its not worth closing it) these things come in the hundreds circulate around the flourecent light the nose dive onto the table usually dead or dying last job of the day before bed empty the ash tray sweep the corpses off the table then in the morning get the stragglers that were still hovering when the table was swept at a rough count today 26 of them
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:06 pm

geordie wrote:these things come in the hundreds circulate around the flourecent light the nose dive onto the table usually dead or dying

The ones here go to sleep in the evenings. It's the other bugs who enjoy the lights, but the frogs and geckoes seem to get them before they get me.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:02 pm

The black lights are good for attracting the night time bugs, in Homeworks they sell a small flourescent lighting fixture on an extension cord (about 250 Baht) I think they are for working under the car or other dark places. Anyway change the lamp for a UV type (about 150 Baht) and put this on at dusk and keep the house light off for a while, they seem to like this better and when they drop and die there is less mess around the house. I expect your new employees will feed on the catchings of the day (night) the next morning. I sometimes see a fire fly or two flying around after dark and have also seen a glowworm on a couple of occasssions.

Years ago I used to go up to Sisawat in Kanchanaburi and stayed at friends land and on a night there were swarms of insects if you put the lights on too early, only had a small generator at the time. Now it is a lot more developed and has permanent power and I guess the bugs get shared around equally amongst the different dwellings[*] :lol:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:14 pm

pattayapope wrote:The black lights are good for attracting the night time bugs

There aren't that many bugs here at night. I think the breeze is too much for them. At the lamps there are a few, but not enough for a meal. :wink:
Anyway I'll be paying my employees well enough for them to be able to buy seafood or meat for their dinners. :D
fredlk

Return to Life in Thailand