Woman Pulled from 20 Mile Race for Running Too Slowly

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:27 pm

Netty Edwards says that she was pulled out of the Spen 20 Race in the UK for running too slowly. At a mile and a half in, she says a race official told her that staff was not able to stick around for someone running at her pace.

My first reaction to this story was pretty emotional. I’m a slow runner myself. Edwards’ 15 minute mile is about the pace I run, even when endurance training. It was easy to put myself in her shoes. How embarrassing to be told that you’re too slow during a 20 mile race! I know how much training it takes to get to that distance, and I can empathize with the heartbreak she must have felt.

I wasn’t alone. Hal Higdon shared the initial story about Edwards on his Facebook page, and it got a huge reaction. Many runners were on Edwards’ side, but many also sided with the race officials. And after reading the the Guardian story and a follow-up Athletcis Weekly interview with the official that spoke to Edwards, I’m inclined to agree with the latter. As much as I wish she could have finished.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/woman- ... lowly.html

If you are entering into a race should you not be believing you are a 'competitor' and be willing to abide by the race criteria of the race you are entering in? Isn't 'race' the operative word here? If you don't want to ... or unable to ... compete at a level that would make you competitive should you not be entering in a 'fast-walking' or simply 'walking' race?

And this happened in the UK ... which saddens me even more :( :( :(

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Woman Pulled from 20 Mile Race for Running Too Slowly

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 pm

MGV12 wrote:Edwards’ 15 minute mile is about the pace I run, even when endurance training.

That's the pace you stroll at, not run at. Not only should she be banned from "racing" she should be made to apologise to the organisers.
I have no sympathy for her at all, people train for months to go in races or runs, they don't want some idiot who probably never trained in her life buggering it up for the real runners. The next thing she'll demand is for an ambulance to follow her the whole way and to have rest stops manned by people being paid to "look after her" along the way.
Just to put it in perspective a soldier has to complete a 20 mile run in 3 hours and 10 minutes. He doesn't run in shorts and sand shoes, he carries a 50 kilo back pack and carries another 15 kilos in his webbing along with wearing his boots, camo greens and carrying a rifle and when he arrives at the other end his gear is weighed just to make sure he didn't "drop something" along the way. If he misses the mark or weighs in under the limit he gets one more chance and then is returned to his original unit with a nasty note to his CO. He can never take the race/test again, which is what should happen to Netty Edwards.
Roger Ramjet

Return to Friendly Banter