Box Trailers

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Box Trailers

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:45 pm

TOWBAR MOUNT, not towball. Towball on the hitch is ok. Its were the towbar is mounted to chassis that worries me.
Its a cab on chassis constructed SUV. Two rails front to back.
The tow hitch usually has a safety chain back to the trailer as a secondary safety measure. Thats not what i am talking about. The photo shows one side of towbar with two vertically assembled bolts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:TOWBAR MOUNT, not towball.

I've never seen that type before all of mine were factory made to go with the vehicle.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:22 pm

image.jpg
This photo shows what it looks like out of the box. The previous photo is a side on look at the mounting.
Roger , are you saying, you never looked under the car to see where it all hangs? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:17 am

Andyfteeze wrote:Roger , are you saying, you never looked under the car to see where it all hangs?

Most, if not all the car's I've owned have all had factory fitted tow bars that either bolted inside the rear bumper (Chrysler Regal), or onto the chassis. All of them had mounting holes drilled and tapped already. Looking at the photo it looks okay except the photo being so small it's hard to tell. I used to make roo bars and fit them in my workshop along with a lot of other stuff. At one stage there were three qualified mechanics courting two of my daughters along with two welders. I had to just ask and it was made in seconds.... if I could get into my own bloody workshop.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:53 am

My concern is that if its mounted to the underside of the chassis rail, it wont carry the load without self destructing as there are only two bolt holes.
The side of the chassis rail has 4 bolt holes.
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:My concern is that if its mounted to the underside of the chassis rail, it wont carry the load without self destructing as there are only two bolt holes.
The side of the chassis rail has 4 bolt holes.

Stick a piece of chalk in the two empty bolt holes and then bolt it up loosely. It will give you two marks on the top of the mounting bracket when it's unbolted, enough to make precise measurements and then punch-hole it, drill it and get out the tap and die set and tap it. There you go, four holes that all align and now all you need are the extra high tensile bolts. :D :D
You could always get two extra holes drilled and then use two high tensile bolts to anchor it in place, don't forget the spring washers.
Make the damned box trailer company earn their money, make them add the two extra bolt holes each side.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks, :roll: remind me never to use your services :lol:
Know the difference between tensile strength and shear strength? :lol:
In my opinion, the shear strentgh of four bolts is much larger than the tensile strength of two. One relies on the strenth of the bolt thread and the other the 1/2" of bolt !
I can see where your coming from, but no, no cigars today! Totally missunderstood the dilema, never mind. :D
I have found another company that uses 5 bolts per side. Two under chassis rail and three across the chassis rail. This is more to my liking. The stresses imposed are distributed more evenly around the chassis rail. Happy to spend an extra 2000b to get a better product from Easy Tow .
Lesson learnt: Check all the details, dont assume Thais know what you are talking about, they dont. And its silly to assume they should too as they have different life experiences to us Falang.
Andyfteeze

Previous

Return to Friendly Banter