Box Trailers

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Box Trailers

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Anyone here have one? i feel like i have two options. Buy from Respo, made in europe or get one made to australian standards.
the respo ones have a folded metal coupling that looks anything but strong (1000kg). i am used to australian cast couplings with 2000kg rating.
seems such a simple idea that just hasnt caught on here. they would rather dangerously overload their utes.
The respo salesman seemed to think i wanted a boat trailer. dont know how a box trailer became a boat trailer in the emails, lol.
just for interest , i did have a look at what they call a boat trailer. man, they looks so stupid and clumsy compared to what we have back home!
new business venture anyone? lol
Andyfteeze

Re: Box Trailers

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:Anyone here have one? i feel like i have two options. Buy from Respo, made in europe or get one made to australian standards.
the respo ones have a folded metal coupling that looks anything but strong (1000kg). i am used to australian cast couplings with 2000kg rating.
seems such a simple idea that just hasnt caught on here. they would rather dangerously overload their utes.
The respo salesman seemed to think i wanted a boat trailer. dont know how a box trailer became a boat trailer in the emails, lol.
just for interest , i did have a look at what they call a boat trailer. man, they looks so stupid and clumsy compared to what we have back home!
new business venture anyone? lol

As far as I am aware, trailers aren't generally allowed in Thailand. Ever seen a car / truck with a tow-bar here?
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 pm

fredlk wrote:As far as I am aware, trailers aren't generally allowed in Thailand. Ever seen a car / truck with a tow-bar here?

Does this count? I think it maybe only happened the once :roll:

big.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:14 pm

MGV12 wrote:Does this count? I think it maybe only happened the once

There are special breakdown vehicles. Breakdown services put the car completely on top while the local guys lift the driving wheels off the ground and tow it.
fredlk

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:42 am

yes, but its not a trailer ! Thats a hydraulic carriage on the back of the truck.
Yes trailers are LEGAL here. They are sold with compliance plates.
Andyfteeze

Postby fredlk » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:07 am

Andyfteeze wrote:trailers are LEGAL here. They are sold with compliance plates.

Show me a photo of one and I'll believe you. :D
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:17 am

"Thank you very much for contacting us and for your interest in Respo Trailers.

Unfortunately we dont at the moment have a showroom in Chiang Mai but we do have a representative with a Respo Trailer living in Chiang Mai.

We would be happy to have him to contact with you and to present his trailer for you in case you would be interested. We also provide a home delivery from Bangkok to Chiang Mai for all of our trailer models."
"Respo Trailers is the only trailer brand in Thailand that has been approved by Thailand's Ministry of Transportation and the only brand in South-East Asia offering a 2 year warranty for its trailers."

I rest my case, lol. Or are you a doubting Thomas? Hahaha
Andyfteeze

Postby fredlk » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:57 am

Andyfteeze wrote:"Respo Trailers is the only trailer brand in Thailand that has been approved by Thailand's Ministry of Transportation

Aren't I even half right? :oops: :( :D
fredlk

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:56 am

Tinny tinny bit right. :D
I have decided to go with the flow. I asked for a price. I can modify it Thai style later. :D
I was doing what I criticise others of doing, nit picking and wanting to change Thai thinking
Let's just see what price they give me before rushing to buy a drop saw and welding gear. :lol:
Andyfteeze

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:42 am

Just got a quote from Respo.
2.5m X 1.5m box trailer, 1000kg rating
55,000b plus 2000b delivery.

Price for the tow hitch is
9500b after market
16,000b dealer

Converting to dollars, this is damn expensive for a trailer !! In Australia, a better trailer costs around $1000 (28-30,000b)
So now I am on the hunt again. I am following up some more leads.
Andyfteeze

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:45 pm

Well ok, i have exhausted all avenues. Found an aussie who used to make trailers here. Had to ring him back in oz.
He was most helpful.
Trailers are expensive here because all the parts are imported and it costs 10,000b to do all the legal compliance work and get the number plates. So on balance, 55,000 for a respo trailer will just have to do.
At least everybody now knows :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andyfteeze

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:39 am

I have also been asking around about a towbar. Boy, have i stumbled on stuff!
Chev dealer prices 15,000B hardware and 1500b for electric kit. Then I have to pay installation and leave the car for a day, " they have to drill holes"
HOLLY s**t, NO F@@N WAY :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Chev has four bolt holes with welded nuts on the sides of the chassis rails specifically for towbars!!

Respo also supply towbars. normally 10,000B but discount as I am buying trailer, 8000b. Then they send me a photo.
which shows it bolted to the underside of the chassis rails. The tow hook is removed and the two bolt holes are used ( both sides).
This worries me some what as the car is capable of towing 3000kg and its promoted as such by GM in australia. to be fare though, it will probably only ever tow up to 1500kg.

Tried another supplier who quoted 9500b but I now wonder about the wisdom of buying from a backyarder, especially one who has never seen a towbar ! :cry:
Andyfteeze

Postby Andyfteeze » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:14 am

Just read the manual, when all else fails...........
the tow hook is capable of towing 3000kg. So by using both, 1500kg per side. Looks like this may be ok.
decisions decisions decisions :roll:
It would be easy to weld a plate on bothsides and then bolt to the chassis, if i was so inclined.
Price before hassles or no hassles and pay? :roll:
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:39 am

Andyfteeze wrote:Just read the manual, when all else fails...........
the tow hook is capable of towing 3000kg. So by using both, 1500kg per side. Looks like this may be ok.

Are you talking about the tow ball?
I've used the type your talking about in your other post and the two bolts are high tensile steel and should have holes drilled and tapped for them. I used to lug 2 ton blast mats around in mine without the slightest problem I just added an extra leaf spring. Make sure they have the safety chain that goes either over the two anchor points or is locked in place with U bolts.
Roger Ramjet

Next

Return to Friendly Banter