The Internet ... Closest friend or Big Brother?

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

The Internet ... Closest friend or Big Brother?

Postby MGV12 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Email just received from a very close friend ... who is battling against a life-threatening ailment and hence ............

Hi - you may be interested - or already know about this stuff.

What prompted me to get into this was the issue that keeps turning up today about surveilance - legal or otherwise - or privacy for that matter - of our use of the internet, emails, www - and what use our respective governments, military indudtrial complexes, private industries etc etc make of this transfer of information.
I learnt during this mini-trawl of mine through the internet which is 25 years old this year that 1) it has been an invaluable asset and that 2) it is becoming grossly misused by those same governments, MIC's and private industries - and at times in a criminal fashion. And 'we' - the private users of the internet, www and 'googlers' are becoming more and more involved - very often without giving the issue a passing thought even as senders and receivers of emails - which someone 'else' is also reading ... like this email too - which I've thought to take the precaution of using 'bcc' - HA! - as if they don't already know how to get around that. It will probably bring the message nearer the top of the list to be read. WELL, SO WHAT !!!

This email is not intended as any form of censure of these entities anyway. I was just curious to learn that it was a Brit, Sir Tim Berners Lee, who "invented" the world wide web - good on yuh mate - now see what you've gone and done ......... !!! In only 25 years, you've created a world wide problem - a " wwp " indeed.

Well, I've rambled enough. My Honey, Madame Miew, has just brought my breakfast - in bed - of brown baked loaf, with salted butter (no margarine thank you - that was developed as a fast fattener of turkey chicks and withdrawn, it killed them, so to recoup their investment - those ogres of private industry gave it a buttery yellow and sold it as a better butter substitute) - that worked for a while - but it never really caught on - and now the dietary pundits are pushing "butter is better" - in fact it is now fashionable - and safer - to eat butter .... So here goes ..... brown bread, butter, cheddar cheese and liverwurst. OK - I don't need telling that's bad nutrition - thank you - I like it !!!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: The Internet ... Closest friend or Big Brother?

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:30 pm

MGV12 wrote:
.... So here goes ..... brown bread, butter, cheddar cheese and liverwurst. OK - I don't need telling that's bad nutrition - thank you - I like it !!![/color]

The brown bread isn't great but the rest is good.

The only way to not have your mail read is to use encryption like GnuPG https://www.gnupg.org nothing else works.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 pm

There's an even better way to not have your e mail read, don't use it, make the buggers steam open all your letters. :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
MGV12 wrote:
.... So here goes ..... brown bread, butter, cheddar cheese and liverwurst. OK - I don't need telling that's bad nutrition - thank you - I like it !!![/color]

The brown bread isn't great but the rest is good.

The only way to not have your mail read is to use encryption like GnuPG https://www.gnupg.org nothing else works.

Not been easy to get decent bread here but Big C [at certain outlets] are improving that situation ... at a price!

Encryption is good but those sites draw the attention of serious hackers ... as they assume those using them have a motive other than simple privacy.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to Friendly Banter