Mathematical Masturbation

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Mathematical Masturbation

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:49 am

sirineou wrote:No solutions to the 9 star grid puzzle yet?
you all need to stop complaining about the size of your rulers
and start thinking outside the box.

I solved it back where I posted what I did, purely by reading into it and the word "intersect" and putting it on a larger size peice of paper and using a longer ruler. I wrote what I did so I wouldn't spoil it and to give a hint. Here's another.....extended triangle......
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:59 pm

While Roger is lamenting the size of his ruler, and MGV is trying to teach his dog human speech so that his dog could explain to him how to solve the puzzle, I taught my dog how to use windows paint. At first all I could get him to draw was bones and female poodles , but finally I convinced him to draw me the solution.
Now that's what I mean thinking out of the box :D
PS: back in college when I was first presented with this puzzle in class, out of 20 or so people in the class, no one could solve it, and we had big rulers back then. :D we were all trying to stay in he grid.
It is a natural instinct to want to stay in the box, all out life everything is contained with in neat little boxes.
Thinking outside the box is a very difficult thing to do,
I know I am not always successful in that respect. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:24 pm

sirineou wrote:While Roger is lamenting the size of his ruler, and MGV is trying to teach his dog human speech so that his dog could explain to him how to solve the puzzle, I taught my dog how to use windows paint. At first all I could get him to draw was bones and female poodles , but finally I convinced him to draw me the solution.
Now that's what I mean thinking out of the box :D
PS: back in college when I was first presented with this puzzle in class, out of 20 or so people in the class, no one could solve it, and we had big rulers back then. :D we were all trying to stay in he grid.
It is a natural instinct to want to stay in the box, all out life everything is contained with in neat little boxes.
Thinking outside the box is a very difficult thing to do,
I know I am not always successful in that respect. :(

After posting this thread ... with that title ... you are telling us that you and your dog have together come to a solution. :shock:

Maybe that appears less deviant for those who speak a corrupt form of English. :lol:

Anyway:

It's always 1 to 6,
it's always 15 to 20,
it's always 5,
but it's never 21,
unless it's flying.

What is it?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:52 pm

MGV12 wrote:Anyway:

It's always 1 to 6,
it's always 15 to 20,
it's always 5,
but it's never 21,
unless it's flying.

What is it?

It's the English cricket team. They should have "die"d long ago.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Anyway:

It's always 1 to 6,
it's always 15 to 20,
it's always 5,
but it's never 21,
unless it's flying.

What is it?

It's the English cricket team. They should have "die"d long ago.

:lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:58 pm

MGV12 wrote:After posting this thread ... with that title ... you are telling us that you and your dog have together come to a solution. :shock:

Maybe that appears less deviant for those who speak a corrupt form of English. :lol:

I dont beat my dog much, he is more helpful to me that way,perhaps if you beat your dog less he would help you more also :mrgreen:

It's always 1 to 6,
it's always 15 to 20,
it's always 5,
but it's never 21,
unless it's flying.

Not being a gambling man,I will admite, I had no idea what it was
So I google it.
Isn't google a strange thing?I cant decide whether it is a good thing or a bad,
All this information available instantly, with little effort, I wonder if it will not create a mentally lazy generation
can you imagine the implications,
could the time come when we think of a question, a device reads the electrical signature of that thought, searched the data base and provides the answer.
could such day be long off?
But would such system provide useless information?
could it actually make as less smart?
because getting the answers would be so easy, we might not bother learning all these things for our selves,
and if we dont have that information in our brains, then it is not available to as in our decision making.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby thailazer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Here is a bit of trivia you should probably forget right away, or if not, you could use it for birth control.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thailazer

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:52 pm

sirineou wrote:All this information available instantly, with little effort, I wonder if it will not create a mentally lazy generation

Not really true at all. I have sat for hours with my daughter working on her assignments, so much so I can run a hotel. :D It's not what you find it's how you use it and how you can innovate and add to it. Her latest assignment is to draw-up a business model to present to a bank for a loan on a fictional hotel/restaurant and is it fun. We started our own limited partnership, purchased land with money we had and developed a complete business plan with surveys from weary travellers sick to death with substandard accomodation, poor service, badly mannered staff etc etc etc. We have graphs showing occupancy rates, projected new customers, new tourists etc etc. So far its taken about 40 hours and we have at least that to go to finish it. My daughter has done most of the work, whilst I have played a customer, devil's advocate, a banker, etc etc etc. In my day it would have taken many trips to the library and I still might not get it right. Now it's done at home with most of the information readily available.
In the old days I would have gotten bored and started reading a book or gone fishing, now I don't get bored at all, neither does my daughter. Our only problem now is with imagination and where do we stop. We might even go from the sublime to the riduculous, but my daughter will have achieved a working knowledge of how to start and run a business. The knowledge out there is huge, but you have to go through it and weed out what is not useful or doesn't fit the ficticious business proposul. I believe it's teaching the children to think a lot more.
Roger Ramjet

Postby thailazer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
sirineou wrote:All this information available instantly, with little effort, I wonder if it will not create a mentally lazy generation

Not really true at all. I have sat for hours with my daughter working on her assignments, so much so I can run a hotel. :D It's not what you find it's how you use it and how you can innovate and add to it. Her latest assignment is to draw-up a business model to present to a bank for a loan on a fictional hotel/restaurant and is it fun. We started our own limited partnership, purchased land with money we had and developed a complete business plan with surveys from weary travellers sick to death with substandard accomodation, poor service, badly mannered staff etc etc etc. We have graphs showing occupancy rates, projected new customers, new tourists etc etc. So far its taken about 40 hours and we have at least that to go to finish it. My daughter has done most of the work, whilst I have played a customer, devil's advocate, a banker, etc etc etc. In my day it would have taken many trips to the library and I still might not get it right. Now it's done at home with most of the information readily available.
In the old days I would have gotten bored and started reading a book or gone fishing, now I don't get bored at all, neither does my daughter. Our only problem now is with imagination and where do we stop. We might even go from the sublime to the riduculous, but my daughter will have achieved a working knowledge of how to start and run a business. The knowledge out there is huge, but you have to go through it and weed out what is not useful or doesn't fit the ficticious business proposul. I believe it's teaching the children to think a lot more.

Time well spent RR.
thailazer

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I believe it's teaching the children to think a lot more.

I agree that the Internet is a boon for those who are willing and able to absorb the additional information ... I have certainly broadened my knowledge by having easy access to such a vast array of information. Students who merely use it to 'cheat' by plagiarism will gain little benefit as I suggest that competent teachers/tutors make allowance for such deception ... some students don't even massage the copy>paste to try and disguise it. Copy and paste anything into Google and it will usually reveal from whence it came. Just like [probably :) ] puzzles posted on this thread.

The trouble is that large swathes of the population have neither a computer not Internet access .... hardly helping to give those who have not the better opportunities to have ... more like a widening gulf.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:54 pm

MGV12 wrote:The trouble is that large swathes of the population have neither a computer not Internet access .... hardly helping to give those who have not the better opportunities to have ... more like a widening gulf.

Totally agree MGV12 and I believe it's intentional here in Thailand, they would prefer to promote soap operas, "social" media and superstition rather than give access to all the internet so the kids can make-up their own mind: minus of course all those 2 odd million web pages that either the minister, department or official sencor says the children can't look at, even though they forgot the court orders for them. And all those academic books on Thai history that are banned really should be read by students, just like the banned web pages.... but according to the "powers that be" that would "corrupt" children's minds.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:45 am

Well I have to agree with both of you there, as obviously a fairly late starter in computers,it's not only given me a new lease in life as the physical side slows down,but opened me up to a wealth of information ( although lots have to be authenticated before accepting.) That said I do believe the Internet is the greatest tool for spreading information around the whole world that counters all the "Bull" that governments (Including our own) like to feed us.
The hard part is going to be keeping the control out of their hands although I don't think they have given up just yet.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 am

As an after thought, wouldn't it be great if all the developed countries including Russia and China switched over from manufacturing military hardware, (that they fall over themselves suppling to Africa and other Third world countries) and got into the computer business instead. Sell them lap tops instead of guns.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:48 am

Mike Judd wrote:As an after thought, wouldn't it be great if all the developed countries including Russia and China switched over from manufacturing military hardware, (that they fall over themselves suppling to Africa and other Third world countries) and got into the computer business instead. Sell them lap tops instead of guns.

Nice dream Mike but unfortunately they didn't "Beat their swords into ploughshares" and they're not going to give up on the military machine anytime soon.

"The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists" Ernest Hemingway

One among many that portend the continuance

http://prudentinvestornewsletters.blogs ... nding.html

You could indeed buy a lot of computers for 1,753 $ Bn

MGV12

Previous

Return to Friendly Banter