Mathematical Masturbation

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Mathematical Masturbation

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 am

sirineou wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Was Einstein wrong? Speed of light appears to have been broken[/size][/b]
Posted September 23, 2011 - 16:28 by Emma Woollacott

What did Prez. Clinton say regarding dated internet articles during his Gettysburg address? :mrgreen:
especially on a fast moving field such as particle physics.where three years could be alifetime

January 13, 2014
The Huffington Post
Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos? CERN Scientists Say No, Refuting Earlier Finding
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/16/faster-than-light-neutrinos-cern_n_1353973.html
Neutrino 'faster than light' scientist resigns
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17560379

Neutrino Subatomic Particles Don't Travel Faster Than Light--Einstein Was Right, Physicists Say
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/09/neutrinos-subatomic-particles-light-physicists_n_1582666.html

Sirineou wins Nobel price for contributions to this post
http://www.its-on-the-internet-so-it-must-be-right.com :lol:

Got your attention though didn't it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The time will come when faster-than-the-speed-of-light is possible .... surely Star Trek and all the other Sci-Fi stuff can't be wrong!

Eugene Wesley "Gene" Roddenberry got it right and Albert Einstein ... that well-meaning old soul ... will be proved to be wrong in his postulation ... one day :) ... maybe :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Of course you could just use the Alcubierre Drive and warp space there by keeping intact the light speed theory by Einstein.

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/ ... drive.html

and for the mathematics to stay on topic here is the formula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Elementary! Would do the calculation but have to go out and water the plants.

Using the ADM formalism of general relativity, the spacetime is described by a foliation of space-like hypersurfaces of constant coordinate time t, with the metric taking the following general form:
ds^2 = -\left(\alpha^2- \beta_i \beta^i\right)\,dt^2+2 \beta_i \,dx^i\, dt+ \gamma_{ij}\,dx^i\,dx^j :mrgreen:
Last edited by BKKBILL on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:13 pm

MGV12 wrote:The time will come when faster-than-the-speed-of-light is possible .... surely Star Trek and all the other Sci-Fi stuff can't be wrong!

Then you will go back in time and there will be a fourth dimension. The problem there is that if you could go back in time, it would have been done by now.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Elementary! Would do the calculation but have to go out and water the plants.

Using the ADM formalism of general relativity, the spacetime is described by a foliation of space-like hypersurfaces of constant coordinate time t, with the metric taking the following general form:
ds^2 = -\left(\alpha^2- \beta_i \beta^i\right)\,dt^2+2 \beta_i \,dx^i\, dt+ \gamma_{ij}\,dx^i\,dx^j

Has been totally refuted as it would not only destroy time and we know it, it would also be impossible without the creation of new elements that would destroy the periodic table..... and as I said before if it was achievable it would have happened in the future by now and the whole universe would have changed.
History cannot be rewritten........except in Thailand. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:00 pm

RR your just taking all the fun out of this but since you started it let’s kick MGV12 ‘s π thoughts down the road.

Q: How do we know that π never [b]repeats? If we find enough digits, isn’t it possible that it will eventually start repeating?[/b]

Posted on December 20, 2013 by The Physicist

Physicist: In physical sciences we catalog information gained through observation (“what’s that?”), then a model is created (“I bet it works like this!”), and then we try to disprove that model by using experiments (“if we’re right, then we should see this weird thing happening”).  In the physical sciences the aim is to disprove, because proofs are always out of reach.  There’s always the possibility that you’re missing something (it’s a big, complicated universe after all).
Mathematics is completely different.  In math (and really, only in math) we have the power to prove things.  The fact that π never repeats isn’t something that we’ve observed, and it’s not something that’s merely “likely” given that we’ve never observed a repeating pattern in the first several trillion digits we’ve seen so far.
The digits of pi never repeat because it can be proven that π is an irrational number.
If you write out the decimal expansion of any irrational number (not just π) you’ll find that it never repeats.  There’s nothing particularly special about π in that respect.  So, proving that π never repeats is just a matter of proving that it can’t be a rational number.  Rather than talking vaguely about math, the rest of this post will be a little more direct than the casual reader might normally appreciate.  For those of you who just scrolled down the page and threw up a little, here’s a very short argument (not a proof):
It turns out that .  But this string of numbers includes all of the prime numbers (other than 2) in the denominator, and since there are an infinite number of primes, there should be no common denominator.  That means that π is irrational, and that means that π never repeats.  This is an “argument”, which mathematicians use to get other mathematicians to listen for a few more minutes.  The math-blizzard below is a genuine proof. 

http://www.askamathematician.com/2013/1 ... repeating/
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:The time will come when faster-than-the-speed-of-light is possible .... surely Star Trek and all the other Sci-Fi stuff can't be wrong!

Then you will go back in time and there will be a fourth dimension. The problem there is that if you could go back in time, it would have been done by now.

Once upon a time 99.9% of the Planet's population thought the Earth was flat, 99.9% of the other 0.01% probably thought the Sun orbited around the earth.

Manned flight would never be possible ... and so on ......

Perceptions change when minds are open and able .... new 'reality' is enabled and can stretch to infinity and beyond. Nothing is infinite other than mans' imagination.

Often those who aim high crash to the ground [as with Buzz Lightyear] however once in a while someone kicks of a new reality

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:28 pm

MGV12 wrote:Once upon a time 99.9% of the planets population thought the Earth was flat, 99.9% of the other 0.01% probably thought the Sun orbited around the earth.

Where did you obtain these astounding statistics from MGV12? Or are you just guessing again? :lol:
MGV12 wrote:Perceptions change when minds are open and able ..

MGV12 it's too late, you can't go back in time and correct all the mistakes you made... think marriage, divorce, marriage, divorce :lol: Perceptions cannot change time, time as we know it is finite. I know, I know you'll rush now to disprove that, but can you imagine in the future people wanting to correct all the ills of our past, to stop the wars, to stop the famine, to stop the diseases and every other ill that has occured. If they could do that, I'm sure they'll look favourably at you and say....neuter this man :lol: just as they'll look at me and say, that man is not allowed to be born. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 pm

ok so the problem is , to draw four (4) straight lines that intersect the middle of all the stars with out taking the pencil of the paper. Each line starts where the first ends.
No cheating :)

If you don't know the answer, give it a chance on your own before you look for a solution on the internet. you will be glad you did, the answer is interesting. I will admite when I was first presented with this problem, B.I.
(before internet) i could not solve it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Once upon a time 99.9% of the planets population thought the Earth was flat, 99.9% of the other 0.01% probably thought the Sun orbited around the earth.

Where did you obtain these astounding statistics from MGV12? Or are you just guessing again? :lol:

Whether or not it's a guess ... you certainly cannot disprove it.

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Perceptions change when minds are open and able ..

MGV12 it's too late, you can't go back in time and correct all the mistakes you made... think marriage, divorce, marriage, divorce :lol: Perceptions cannot change time, time as we know it is finite. I know, I know you'll rush now to disprove that, but can you imagine in the future people wanting to correct all the ills of our past, to stop the wars, to stop the famine, to stop the diseases and every other ill that has occured. If they could do that, I'm sure they'll look favourably at you and say....neuter this man :lol: just as they'll look at me and say, that man is not allowed to be born. :lol:

You appear to have a fascination with the past RR ... those of us who are maybe younger or simply have a more positive perception look forward to the future.

The past is the past and always will be.

MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:07 am

MGV12 wrote:Whether or not it's a guess ... you certainly cannot disprove it.

we can and we will, just as soon as these new-fangled time machines of yours become available at Amazon.com :lol:

MGV12 wrote:The past is the past and always will be.

Not if you have anything to do with it :lol: :lol:
sirineou

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 am

sirineou wrote:ok so the problem is , to draw four (4) straight lines that intersect the middle of all the stars with out taking the pencil of the paper. Each line starts where the first ends.

It can't be solved the way you posted it. :D If I only had more paper and a longer ruler. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:11 am

sirineou wrote:

If I could return to the past I wouldn't change a thing.

Well maybe just two small events for the benefit of humanity as a whole ....

....I wouldn't marry either of my first two wives.

Now there's philanthropy for you! :lol:

BTW .... you are a sick puppy .... as this note from your mum confirms.

7JWyY.jpg

And just to spice the thread up a bit .... no commercial interest of course :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:04 am

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:

If I could return to the past I wouldn't change a thing.

Well maybe just two small events for the benefit of humanity as a whole ....

....I wouldn't marry either of my first two wives.

Now there's philanthropy for you! :lol:

BTW .... you are a sick puppy .... as this note from your mum confirms.

7JWyY.jpg

And just to spice the thread up a bit .... no commercial interest of course :)

Sick puppy indeed, brother you don't know the half of it.
Still laughing over the note from my Mom :lol: :lol:
Where the heck do you find these things??

No solutions to the 9 star grid puzzle yet?
you all need to stop complaining about the size of your rulers :wink:
and start thinking outside the box.
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:32 am

sirineou wrote:
No solutions to the 9 star grid puzzle yet?
you all need to stop complaining about the size of your rulers :wink:
and start thinking outside the box.

My dog solved that in about ten seconds but she's currently working on how to use a pencil so she can post an answer.

Thinking outside the box indeed ... very literal! :roll:

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:57 am

It's always 1 to 6,
it's always 15 to 20,
it's always 5,
but it's never 21,
unless it's flying.

What is it?

MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter