All Things considered

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: All Things considered

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Yes this is making light of a very serious situation and made up by someone ... it does however indicate how complex this situation can be seen by some:

Source: "a highly restricted briefing document on Syria...."

President Assad (who is bad ) is a nasty guy who got so nasty his people
rebelled and the Rebels ( who are good ) started winning (hurrah!).
But then some of the rebels turned a bit nasty and are now called Islamic
State ( who are definitely bad!) and some continued to support democracy
(who are still good.)
So the Americans ( who are good ) started bombing Islamic State ( who are
bad ) and giving arms to the Syrian Rebels ( who are good ) so they could
fight Assad ( who is still bad ) which was good.
By the way, there is a breakaway state in the north run by the Kurds who
want to fight IS ( which is a good thing ) but the Turkish authorities think
they are bad, so we have to say they are bad whilst secretly thinking
they're good and giving them guns to fight IS (which is good) but that is
another matter.
Getting back to Syria.
So President Putin ( who is bad, because he invaded Crimea and the Ukraine
and killed lots of folks including that nice Russian man in London with
polonium poisoned sushi ) has decided to back Assad ( who is still bad ) by
attacking ISIS ( who are also bad ) which is sort of a good thing?
But Putin ( still bad ) thinks the Syrian Rebels ( who are good ) are also
bad, and so he bombs them too, much to the annoyance of the Americans ( who
are good ) who are busy backing and arming the rebels ( who are also good).
Now Iran ( who used to be bad, but now they have agreed not to build any
nuclear weapons and bomb Israel are now good ) are going to provide ground
troops to support Assad ( still bad ) as are the Russians ( bad ) who now
have ground troops and aircraft in Syria.
So a Coalition of Assad ( still bad ), Putin ( extra bad ), and the Iranians
(good, but in a bad sort of way ) are going to attack IS ( who are bad )
which is a good thing, but also the Syrian Rebels ( who are good ) which is
bad.
Now the British ( obviously good, except that nice Mr Corbyn in the corduroy
jacket, who is probably bad ) and the Americans ( also good ) cannot attack
Assad ( still bad) for fear of upsetting Putin ( bad ) and Iran ( good /bad)
and now they have to accept that Assad might not be that bad after all
compared to IS ( who are super bad).
So Assad ( bad ) is now probably good, being better than IS ( but let's face
it, drinking your own wee is better than IS so no real choice there ) and
since Putin and Iran are also fighting IS that may now make them Good.
America ( still Good ) will find it hard to arm a group of rebels being
attacked by the Russians for fear of upsetting Mr Putin ( now good ) and
that nice mad Ayatollah in Iran ( also Good ) and so they may be forced to
say that the Rebels are now Bad, or at the very least abandon them to their
fate. This will lead most of them to flee to Turkey and on to Europe or join
IS ( still the only constantly bad group).
To Sunni Muslims, an attack by Shia Muslims ( Assad and Iran ) backed by
Russians will be seen as something of a Holy War, and the ranks of IS will
now be seen by the Sunnis as the only Jihadis fighting in the Holy War and
hence many Muslims will now see IS as Good ( Doh!.)
Sunni Muslims will also see the lack of action by Britain and America in
support of their Sunni rebel brothers as something of a betrayal ( mmm.might
have a point.) and hence we will be seen as Bad.
So now we have America ( now bad ) and Britain ( also bad ) providing
limited support to Sunni Rebels ( bad ) many of whom are looking to IS (Good
/ bad ) for support against Assad ( now good ) who, along with Iran (also
Good) and Putin ( also, now, unbelievably, Good ) are attempting to retake
the country Assad used to run before all this started?

I hope this summary professionally muddies this this all up for you ?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:55 pm

MGV12 wrote:it does however indicate how complex this situation can be seen by some:

It sounds like a briefing given by a defense attache to soldiers newly arrived in country and wondering just why they are training the (bad or good) guys. It would have to rank with one of the best briefings on the situation except they left out the CIA (bad) is backing the Kurds and someone forgot to add the following good or bad players: Afghanistan, Israel, Jordan, Hezbollar, Palestine, Saudi Arabia (bad) and all the other "players" in the game and the roles each play.
My question is where is all the money coming from? Why not just bomb the crap out of Saudi Arabia and cut off their source of funding?
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:23 am

So now coffee is good .. or less bad ... or something. Until the next study comes out probably.

More Happy Coffee News, This Time From Massive Cohort Studies

BOSTON, MA — People with a moderately increased intake of coffee—caffeinated, decaffeinated, or overall—have a significantly lower mortality risk than coffee nondrinkers, according to a pooled analysis of three large well-known cohort studies[1].

The inverse association between coffee intake and mortality applied not only to all-cause mortality, but mortality from cardiovascular or neurologic causes specifically. Notably in the analysis, the association was more pronounced among people who had never smoked.

Based on about 200,000 participants and 20 to 30 years of follow-up, "we were able to provide solid evidence for the association between coffee drinking and the risk of mortality, and the large sample size allowed us to conduct analysis among never-smokers to strip out the confounding factor of smoking," Dr Ming Ding (Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA) told heartwire from Medscape in an email.

That said, observed Ding, who is lead author on the study's November 16, 2015 publication in Circulation, the evidence is from an observational analysis and so any coffee-mortality relationships are only hypothesis-generating until they are confirmed in more definitive studies.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/854654

The actual study:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/ear ... 3ca2ec8c9d

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:35 pm

MGV12 wrote:That said, observed Ding, who is lead author on the study's November 16, 2015 publication in Circulation, the evidence is from an observational analysis and so any coffee-mortality relationships are only hypothesis-generating until they are confirmed in more definitive studies.

All that money and they couldn't even get a "reasonable hypothesis", let alone a "more likely than not". I notice they didn't include us tea drinkers in the study. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Paris attacks: Andrew Neil’s entire message to ‘Islamist Scumbags’

“Evening all, welcome to this week. A week in which a bunch of loser jihadists slaughtered 132 innocents in Paris to prove the future belongs to them, rather than a civilisation like France. I can’t say I fancy their chances."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 43071.html

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Most [if not all] of the games/sports that most of us grew up with can no longer be reasonably classified as such .... now it's simply business; the play-thing of the rich.
Fan allegiance to a particular club means little when the success they achieve is dependant on the wealth of the owner and shareholder dividends.

Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour sells 13% stake in club to Chinese investors for £265m... six years after he bought the whole business for the same price

Manchester City's owners have sold a 13 per cent stake in the club's parent company to Chinese investors.

The City Football Group (CFG), parent company of the former Barclays Premier League champions, has sold the stake to a consortium of CMC (China Media Capital) and investment company CITIC Capital.

The investment of £265million, which is subject to regulatory approval in some territories, follows six months of talks and is aimed at expanding CFG's interests in the Chinese football industry.

CFG runs under parent company the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG) and recorded a revenue of over £300m last year.

Under Sheik Mansour's leadership, City have won the FA Cup, Capital One Cup, two Premier League titles and the Community Shield.

Incredibly, Sheikh Mansour originally paid around £265m to purchase full ownership of the club in 2009 and just six years later has sold a small portion of CFG for the same price.

The huge investment brings City closer to rivals Manchester United on the New York stock exchange where the Etihad club are now valued at $3billion compared to United's valuation of $3.05bn.

The deal sees new shares issued in CFG in addition to those owned by the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG), the investment and development company privately owned by Sheikh Mansour of the Abu Dhabi royal family.

Prior to the investment ADUG was the sole shareholder of CFG which owns Manchester City, New York City FC, Melbourne City FC and is a minority shareholder in Yokohama F. Marinos.

CMC chairman Ruigang Li will represent the consortium at CFG by becoming its seventh board member.

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, chairman of CFG, said: 'Football is the most loved, played and watched sport in the world and in China, the exponential growth pathway for the game is both unique and hugely exciting.

'We have therefore worked hard to find the right partners and to create the right deal structure to leverage the incredible potential that exists in China, both for CFG and for football at large.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -265m.html

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:05 pm

The monies in the bank.
MGV12 wrote:Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour sells 13% stake in club to Chinese investors for £265m.

Before Mansour starts counting his money, he should read this. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-01/c ... on/6991790
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:12 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6r3-sQr58
Just watch it.

You do realise that this is a non-commercial site and advertising is not permitted :wink:

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:34 pm

MGV12 wrote:You do realise that this is a non-commercial site and advertising is not permitted

I don't believe they charged the public for the enjoyment they gave. And I don't believe the little girl begrudged them the penny she gave either. If that's advertising, then it was cheap and you can debit (your Visa card number ___ ____ ____ ____ please insert) and CTH can get the proceeds. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:24 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:You do realise that this is a non-commercial site and advertising is not permitted

I don't believe they charged the public for the enjoyment they gave. And I don't believe the little girl begrudged them the penny she gave either. If that's advertising, then it was cheap and you can debit (your Visa card number ___ ____ ____ ____ please insert) and CTH can get the proceeds. :lol:

It is a rare thing to catch you out RR .... you said "just watch it" and I did ... including the credits. Don't blame the meds :wink:

https://www.sabadellbank.com/cs/Satelli ... 021009/en/

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 pm

MGV12 wrote:It is a rare thing to catch you out RR .... you said "just watch it" and I did ... including the credits. Don't blame the meds

Funny you should mention that MGV12, but strange as it may seem, each time you link direct to Youtube, someone gets paid and gets free advertising.
I actually think they deserve every credit they get and it was a really smart way to advertise they were putting on a show in that town that week... I would have gone too.
Something I miss so dearly is the theatricals over here. I can recall even in the smallest town in Australia there would be a theatrical society and the education department used to organise visits by orchestras (Peter and the Wolf) and other plays (Sweeney Todd), whilst the theatrical society would do the major productions like The Pirates of Penzance, Trial by Jury and other operettas and dramas. The best I've seen here was Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo and the largest male performer issued a very stern warning to the Thais about just where they would stick their cell phones if they even saw one. Very impressive performance au point.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Doubt they come much more stupid than this guy .. not even a sensible idea at the best of times but beyond belief with relations as they are

US student Otto Warmbier given hard labour in North Korea

US student Otto Warmbier has been given 15 years hard labour in North Korea for crimes against the state.

NK.jpg

Warmbier, 21, was arrested for trying to steal a propaganda sign from a hotel while visiting North Korea in January.
He later appeared on state TV apparently confessing and saying a church group had asked him to bring back a "trophy" from his trip.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35818581
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:20 am

Earth is made up of two planets fused together, new research suggests

Collision_web_1024.jpg

Astronomers investigating how the Moon formed have found evidence that it was produced after a small planet smashed headfirst into Earth around 4.5 billion years ago. And research suggests that this collision was so violent that the 'planetary embryo' that hit us, called Theia, ended up fusing with both Earth and the Moon as a result.

The idea that the Moon was formed as part of a Solar System crash isn't new, but scientists in the past have proposed that Theia simply side-swiped Earth, blasting the Moon into orbit and then continuing off into space. Now new research by a team at the University of California, Los Angeles, suggests that Theia actually never left us.

http://www.sciencealert.com/earth-is-ma ... h-suggests
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12 pm

Someone else with an opinion on The New York Times RR

"And now it's all right. It's OK.
And you may look the other way.
We can try to understand
The New York Times' effect on man."

December 1977

MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter