Only in America [?]

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 pm

Shastadad wrote:John Denver isn't going to be singing anytime soon since he died in a airplane accident in 1997 while flying his homemade aircraft.

I was just testing MGV12's knowledge of Rocky Mountain High to see if he thought it was about mary jane (marijuana), after all he thought Peter Paul and Mary's Puff the Magic Dragon was about that. Don't ask me how he came to that conclusion but he would have been a great ASIS or ASIO officer because that's what they thought as well..... which, because I owned Peter, Paul and Mary's In Concert LP made me a number one suspect to lose a top secret security clearance. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:11 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Shastadad wrote:John Denver isn't going to be singing anytime soon since he died in a airplane accident in 1997 while flying his homemade aircraft.

I was just testing MGV12's knowledge of Rocky Mountain High to see if he thought it was about mary jane (marijuana), after all he thought Peter Paul and Mary's Puff the Magic Dragon was about that. Don't ask me how he came to that conclusion but he would have been a great ASIS or ASIO officer because that's what they thought as well..... which, because I owned Peter, Paul and Mary's In Concert LP made me a number one suspect to lose a top secret security clearance. :lol:

There you go spreading shiit around again :roll:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Those very quiet neighbours also have some strange ways:

'If you have a spare toe, we need one': Patron swallows amputated toe in cocktail bar ON PURPOSE -
- and pays $500 for the privilege

article-2404293-1B802A46000005DC-344_634x371.jpg

Most people would have to be paid large sums of money to even consider swallowing an amputated human toe.

But one customer at the Downtown Hotel in Dawson City threw down $500 for the privilege before gulping one down.

The incident took place at the famous saloon in Yukon Territory, Canada, on Saturday night and staff there said it's not the first time it has happened, but the first time it was done deliberately.

Many sources but naturally went for the ever-popular Daily Mail version ..... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-500.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:43 pm

MGV12 wrote:The incident took place at the famous saloon in Yukon Territory, Canada, on Saturday night

Shouldn't this go under only in Canada.
Probably Bill's big toe, donated for the "event". :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:07 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:The incident took place at the famous saloon in Yukon Territory, Canada, on Saturday night

Shouldn't this go under only in Canada.
Probably Bill's big toe, donated for the "event". :lol:

Was wondering why I had a limp.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Maybe Donald Trump does have a better chance than many give him credit for :wink: :P

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:20 pm

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Bit of a setback from those northerly neighbours!

Citing Climate Change, Obama Rejects Construction of Keystone XL Oil Pipeline

WASHINGTON — President Obama announced on Friday that he had rejected the request from a Canadian company to build the Keystone XL oil pipeline, ending a seven-year review that had become a symbol of the debate over his climate policies.

Mr. Obama’s denial of the proposed 1,179-mile pipeline, which would have carried 800,000 barrels a day of carbon-heavy petroleum from the Canadian oil sands to the Gulf Coast, comes as he seeks to build an ambitious legacy on climate change.

“America is now a global leader when it comes to taking serious action to fight climate change,” Mr. Obama said in remarks from the White House. “And, frankly, approving this project would have undercut that global leadership.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/us/ob ... 31730&_r=1

Meanwhile in China there are differing priorities:

Hidden in an unknown corner of Inner Mongolia is a toxic, nightmarish lake created by our thirst for smartphones, consumer gadgets and green tech, discovers Tim Maughan.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015040 ... e-on-earth

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:51 am

Only in America? More likely the way of the world in nanny-state [so-called] developed countries:

Navy veteran whose house was demolished while he recovered from surgery will sue town for leaving him with just 'two suitcases' of belongings to his name

A New York Navy veteran who was left devastated when he returned from a surgery to find his house had been demolished is now suing the town where he has lived since he was six months old.

Philip Williams left his two-story Long Island home and traveled to Florida for a knee replacement in December 2014, eventually staying for six months while he recovered from complications.

But when Williams, 69, returned in August the cream-colored cottage with a red door in West Hempstead was gone. All that was left was an empty lot.

Zombie1.jpg

Zombie2.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rgery.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Petition to ban Trump from UK passes 300K, could be debated in Parliament

London (CNN)A petition calling for Donald Trump to be banned from entering the UK has attracted more than a quarter of a million signatures -- more than enough for a committee to consider sending the motion for parliamentary debate.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/09/polit ... -petition/

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:20 pm

Guns have killed more Americans than every war the country has ever fought, from the American Revolution to the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Now you can get a cell phone gun the ultimate in concealed carry.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/30 ... 73898.html
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:25 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Guns have killed more Americans than every war the country has ever fought, from the American Revolution to the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Only from Huffington Post Canada could you get those headlines. Why not substitute heart attacks, cancer or even Canadians. As the NRA says, guns don't kill, people kill. I carried a pistol (.38 Police Special) the whole time in America and never even got to take it out of the holster, except to clean.
I'd like to know how you're going to get that cell phone on an air plane, without being arrested? As for the pepper/capsicum spray, it's hard enough taking a selfie with a camera, let alone being a deadly shot with it..... it too would set off every alarm in an airport.
Why is it that Canada has few problems with guns, yet America has massive problems. Perhaps Canadians are more afraid of the bears shitting in the woods than the Americans, or is it a Mexican factor? :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:01 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Guns have killed more Americans than every war the country has ever fought, from the American Revolution to the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Now you can get a cell phone gun the ultimate in concealed carry.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/30 ... 73898.html

When this idea was originally aired [ http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/ ... 5cb06355e2 ] it seemed to be unlikely .... not in America! https://www.inverse.com/article/13565-i ... al-quickly ... it's not on a street near you yet but soon may be!

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Why is it that Canada has few problems with guns, yet America has massive problems. Perhaps Canadians are more afraid of the bears shitting in the woods than the Americans, or is it a Mexican factor? :lol: :lol:

RR this may or not explain why those Americans have such a problem with their lethal guns. :roll:

As for Canadians with fewer problems with guns think you will find every country in this world has fewer problems with guns. Where else would there be 112 guns for 100 residents?

Guns per 100 Residents.jpg

United States number 1
Canada number 12
Australia number 26 with a note gun ownership higher in rural areas
United Kingdom Number 82
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of ... 052015.png

Overall, Americans are almost 70 per cent more likely to die at the end of a gun — shot by someone else, by themselves, by accident — than Canadians are to die in a car accident.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:42 pm

BKKBILL wrote:As for Canadians with fewer problems with guns think you will find every country in this world has fewer problems with guns. Where else would there be 112 guns for 100 residents?

Bill,
I'd be a hypocrite if I said the number of guns a person owns makes them more twisted. When I was shooting both pistol and rifle (competition marksmanship and hunting) I had over 8 pistols and 6 rifles with calibres from .17 (air pistol), .22 (3) all for different types of target competitions, .38 or 9mm for centre fire and a .357 for draw and shoot. The rifles were mostly hand built but two favourites were a Remington 700 in .22.250 and a .303 necked down to 303/25 that was a left over from WW2 and cost over $2,000 to build. All the pistols were locked in safes bolted to the floor and certified by the police, the rifles were all chained, which didn't stop a thief from ripping out half the wall to take all but two of them. The reason he didn't get the other two was because one was a Ruger Mini 14 with Kahels 9-12 variable scope that was illegal and the other was a South Australian made Sportco .22 that had a silencer attached (both were hidden in the roof). I was not impressed I might add, but as the police arrested the thief when he tried to hock them and I had already been paid the insurance money and the insurance company wanted more money for them than it had cost me to build them, I left them with the insurance company to dispose of.
I even had a safe in the boot of my car, just in case I was going to the range.
My mate in America used to have them laying around the house and anyone could have taken one and he wouldn't have known.... but as he had a pistol range at the back of his house it was convenient to just grab the first one that came to hand in our mad competitions to beat each other at marksmanship.
As I said earlier it's not the rifle or pistol, it's the person who has it.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter