Only in America [?]

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby MGV12 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:39 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:since I was reminded that Sherlock Holmes never actually uttered the phrase "Elementary, my dear Watson"

Ah but he did say that. During an investigation into the sudden death of young boy killed by the hound of the Baskervilles Watson asked Holmes. "What type of school did this boy attend"? And Holmes replied. "Elementary, my dear Watson".
Is this on topic? I thought the scenes were set in London, England, not the US. Just wondering. :D

:roll: :wink: :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 am

OIA ... but maybe coming to a city near you soon :) emphasis on the maybe :roll:

Former Governor of Virginia Sentenced to 2 Years for Corruption

Bob McDonnell, the former governor of Virginia who was convicted in September on corruption charges, was sentenced to 24 months in prison on Tuesday in one of the most spectacular falls of a statewide elected official in the history of the commonwealth.
Mr. McDonnell, 60, was given the sentence by Judge James R. Spencer of Federal District Court. He was found guilty of trading favors in return for $177,000 in loans, vacations and gifts from a wealthy family friend who was trying to promote his vitamin supplement business.
Mr. McDonnell, a Republican who was once considered a possible contender for the White House, initially faced the prospect of up to 20 years in prison, but The A.P. reported that Judge Spencer lowered that range to six-and-a-half to eight years during the hearing. His lawyers, citing what they described as years of good work and commitment to public service, had argued that a sentence of community service should suffice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/us/bo ... 31730&_r=0

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:11 am

Not sure where to post this but as it's American ....

fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:30 am

fredlk wrote:Not sure where to post this but as it's American ....

Or you can simply place your curved-screen TV in an oven for twenty minutes at 180C/350F/Gas Mark or au Francais scale 4 ... it will then revert to the original and sensible flat screen. :lol:

3D TV ... where are you now?

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:28 am

Always look of the bright side of life? Cue the song .......

This Housing Chart Destroys The Arguments Of The Economic Optimists

By Michael Snyder of The Economic Collapse
Monday, February 2, 2015 3:31 AM EST

Did you know that the rate of homeownership in the United States has fallen to a 20 year low? Did you know that it has been falling consistently for an entire decade? For the past couple of years, the economic optimists have been telling us that the economy has been getting better. Well, if the economy really has been getting better, why does the homeownership rate keep going down? Yes, the ultra-wealthy have received a temporary financial windfall thanks to the reckless money printing the Federal Reserve has been doing, but for most Americans economic conditions have not been improving.

This is clearly demonstrated by the housing chart that I am about to share with you. If the economy really was healthy, more people would be getting good jobs and thus would be able to buy homes. But instead, the homeownership rate has continued to plummet throughout the entire “Obama recovery”. I think that this chart speaks for itself…

Homeownership-Rate-2015.png

http://www.talkmarkets.com/content/us-m ... post=57890
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby Shastadad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:17 am

You want charts, I give you some charts that are a bit more relevant to those who live in Thailand

EUR.png

GBP.png

AUD.png

USD.png

source: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... B&view=2Y#
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shastadad

Postby fredlk » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:28 am

Shastadad wrote:You want charts, I give you some charts

images.jpeg
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:47 am

Shastadad wrote:You want charts, I give you some charts that are a bit more relevant to those who live in Thailand

Most who build a house in Thailand to retire here do so with funds derived from their home country.

The true economic situation in that country is very relevant ... causal in the exchange rate fluctuations shown in those charts.

As for Fred's post ... I think that's his BP chart when taking the hounds for a walk. :lol:

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 am

What do American Pie's lyrics mean?

Don.jpg

"But now at long, long last his inspirations behind "The Song of the Century" are to be revealed, as McLean [is?] puts his original manuscript up for auction on Tuesday."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32196117

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:32 am

MGV12 wrote:What do American Pie's lyrics mean?

The question is, will the new owner share the side notes or will some rich bastard lock them away in his private vault for his own consumption and his alone.
If so, will Don McLean reveal what he was writing/thinking about at the time, or will he just say it was about the 50's 60's and 70's in America and the rock and roll scene.
I could be like all the other guessers out there and make stabs in the dark, wild justifications etc etc, but it would be like the intelligence agencies hauling in all Top Secret cleared personnel who like the sound of Peter, Paul and Mary singing Puff the Magic Dragon and accusing/asking them if they were aware the song was about drugs (Mary J or marijuana, cannibis) and that their security clearance might be revoked if they listened to it again...sheesh.. when in actual fact it was about a little boy's imagination as he grew up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puff,_the_Magic_Dragon
There you go MGV12, that dispells that myth started by some idiot guessing what the lyrics meant in a fairly respected right wing magazine at the time and should leave all those idiot "intelligence agencies" with something to ponder on where and how they gather "intelligence" in the future. Flower power man, flower power. :lol: :lol:
I do recall reading that Don McLean would always start his concerts with American Pie and say "Let's get this out of the road now, so we can concentrate on more serious music". That should give someone, somewhere, serious thought to make some more wild guesses. :D
Roger Ramjet

Re: Not only in America

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:37 am

Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation as Russians Pressed for Control of Uranium Company

The headline in Pravda trumpeted President Vladimir V. Putin’s latest coup, its nationalistic fervor recalling an era when the newspaper served as the official mouthpiece of the Kremlin: “Russian Nuclear Energy Conquers the World.”

The article, in January 2013, detailed how the Russian atomic energy agency, Rosatom, had taken over a Canadian company with uranium-mining stakes stretching from Central Asia to the American West. The deal made Rosatom one of the world’s largest uranium producers and brought Mr. Putin closer to his goal of controlling much of the global uranium supply chain.

But the untold story behind that story is one that involves not just the Russian president, but also a former American president and a woman who would like to be the next one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/ca ... d=57831730

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:49 pm

How the Colorado Supreme Court just confused every employer in America about marijuana

151955716.jpg

This week’s court ruling suggests to other U.S. states that until a law is passed, marijuana — medical or otherwise — remains illegal.

Earlier this week, the Colorado Supreme Court unanimously confirmed that although medical marijuana is legal, employers have the power to fire workers if they fail company-sponsored drug tests. Monday’s ruling is the latest in a series of decisions around the country denying job protection to state-sanctioned medical marijuana users who medicate off-duty. More than that, the decision is significant in that it sends a message to employers across other states wrangling with adopting laws to a nascent industry that is illegal under federal law.

Under federal law, marijuana is listed as a Schedule I drug—a drug with no acceptable medical use in treatment and a high potential for abuse. The U.S. Control Substance Act preempts any provision of state law that conflicts with the federal law. In the Colorado case, Brandon Coats used marijuana to help control his seizures associated with his quadriplegia. He had worked at Dish Network DISH -0.81% for three years before he was fired for testing positive for marijuana, although he said he never medicated at work.

The Court said that because marijuana is illegal under federal law, it cannot be considered a “lawful activity” under Colorado’s lawful activities statute. What’s more, although many state medical marijuana laws create an affirmative defense against criminal prosecution, they do not give patients an affirmative right to use marijuana. These inconsistencies are a recipe for confusion among employers and employees.

Of the 23 states with medical marijuana statutes, eight address discrimination against employees who medicate. In some of the eight states, employers are prohibited from discriminating against employees because they are licensed to use medical marijuana in accordance with their state’s law. Other states go further. Arizona prohibits employers from discriminating against a registered user who has failed a drug test for marijuana — with two important exceptions. First, employers can act on the failed drug test if the employee used, possessed, or was under the influence of marijuana while at work. Second, they can act on the failed test if not doing so would jeopardize their status for federal funding or licensure.

The question now is what does the Colorado Supreme Court decision mean for employers in a state thinking about legalizing medical marijuana? Until a law is passed, marijuana, medical or otherwise, remains illegal. If the state passes a law giving some protection to employees who are licensed to use marijuana, employers would have to carefully understand the requirements of the law and review their internal policies to ensure compliance.

If a state passes a law that does not provide any employment protections for employees who medicate, employers are free to decide on their own on how to proceed. Large employers in states contemplating medical marijuana laws may be reluctant to wade into the difficult task of making exceptions to well-established management policies, even for top-performing employees, and therefore decide to follow the same strategy as Dish Network, which has 19,000 employees.

Smaller companies however, may be willing to be more flexible because they attract less public scrutiny. Also, due to the higher relative costs of replacing employees, smaller businesses might be more willing to implement management policies that account for off-duty use of medical marijuana while also factoring in whether it affects an employee’s job performance or whether the business could reasonably accommodate the employee’s use.

Whether efforts like these adequately and appropriately address the very real and sometimes conflicting concerns for employers about employee retention and drug use remains an open question. But one thing is certain: employers will have to decide what to do on a piecemeal basis and with little guidance from the law.

https://fortune.com/2015/06/17/how-the- ... marijuana/

Of course there is also sanity in the land of the free .......

Bacon gun.jpg

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:50 pm

I have two questions MGV12, which I'm sure you'll be delighted in answering, the first concerns the "Bacon Gun" . Why is the barrel bent?
The second, will John Denver be allowed to sing "Rocky mountain high" ever again or will the Colorado Supreme Court rule that Colorado is not allowed to get high, unless for medicinal purposes?
Only in America. Why test employees anyway? Why not just give a warning or on the spot fine? Or for that matter why bother at all.
I know, I know, that's more than the original two questions. :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I have two questions MGV12, which I'm sure you'll be delighted in answering, the first concerns the "Bacon Gun" . Why is the barrel bent?
The second, will John Denver be allowed to sing "Rocky mountain high" ever again or will the Colorado Supreme Court rule that Colorado is not allowed to get high, unless for medicinal purposes?
Only in America. Why test employees anyway? Why not just give a warning or on the spot fine? Or for that matter why bother at all.
I know, I know, that's more than the original two questions. :D :D

"Why is the barrel is bent?" ... maybe it was made from bent pigs ... this woman might have an opinion http://www.mediaite.com/online/feed-the ... epartment/

Doubt John Denver will ever sing again but if he could he would just fly to another state.

American friends tell me that the drug-testing fiasco has been going on for many years. You could turn up for work drunk but if they found a trace of weed you smoked two days before you could lose your job. How can a 'State' say that something is legal and yet the 'Federal Government' rate it as a Class 1 narcotic ... higher classification than H or C.

MGV12

Postby Shastadad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:58 pm

John Denver isn't going to be singing anytime soon since he died in a airplane accident in 1997 while flying his homemade aircraft. There were suspicions that he was drunk at the time, which eventually were disproved

source: http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jun/23/news/mn-62708
Shastadad

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter