Only in America [?]

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Only in America [?]

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:20 am

This is in no way intended as a US-bashing thread so please desist from using it as such

Due to steadfast lobbying by various factions many things are allowed in the US due to mainly [?] the perceived "Freedom" aspect of the "Constitution"

Just to lightly scratch the surface:

7 Items You Won't Believe Are Actually Legal

Drugs, artillery emplacements, napalm, prostitution - sometimes it seems like the best things in life are illegal. For some reason, the fascists who control this country don't believe in your God given right to smoke meth and man a 155-millimeter Howitzer.

Luckily for us, there are a lot of awesome things out there that Uncle Sam amazingly hasn't taken away from us yet.

Read this article, and then go and pick up one of everything while you still can!


13262.jpg

benson.jpg

flamethrower.jpg

minigun.jpg

salvia.jpg

tannerite.jpg

thermite.jpg

weaponry.jpg


Details here - http://www.cracked.com/article_17016_7- ... legal.html




And if you need to keep those pesky rabbits off your lettuce patch and the BB gun is simply not doing it :roll:


5 Dangerous Guns Sold Online

7044029509_0b4298c7bb.jpg


Details here - http://www.nationalmemo.com/the-5-deadl ... e-legally/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby sirineou » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:26 am

The second amendment to the constitution is interpreted differently, depending on your political orientation
and as you can all see is a complex issue
The Gun Nuts , read it as the right to bear arms
Image
The nudists read it as the right to Bare arms and more
Image
Hairy people think it refers to them right to bear arms
Image
Animal activists and dyslectics, read it as the right to arm bears
Image
and finally, me and rednecks read it as the right to Beer and Arms
Image
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:41 pm

I doubt it will start a trend but this thread is having a theme song ... what else but:



And sort of linked to the 'All things considered' thread:


“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:01 pm

Now if there was ever a case for copyright infringement by Brookes and Dunn for stealing a tune and murdering it with twang, then Tina Turner (Simply the Best) should sue their socks off.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:09 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Now if there was ever a case for copyright infringement by Brookes and Dunn for stealing a tune and murdering it with twang, then Tina Turner (Simply the Best) should sue their socks off.


No fan of the B&D song but as for plagiarism ... they must have released a different version of TT's 'Simply the Best' down there in that Commonwealth nether-region.

Added later: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_%28song%29

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:59 pm

sirineou wrote:The second amendment to the constitution is interpreted differently, depending on your political orientation
and as you can all see is a complex issue


Just noticed your new 'signature' ... where does "unless you are 98 years old" fit in?

Charlton Heston is a mere 90 years old ... so I am guessing maybe its the age you were feeling when you changed it :P

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:26 pm

MGV12 wrote:they must have released a different version of TT's 'Simply the Best' down there in that Commonwealth nether-region.

They sure did it was a rugby promotion song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXIzp0ok24I
It would appear Tina doesn't mind people using "her" songs for whatever purpose.
I listen to both tunes again very carefully and the second and third stanza of each are nearly identical.... but what the heck Men At Work were sued for less.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby sirineou » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:14 pm

MGV12 wrote:Just noticed your new 'signature' ... where does "unless you are 98 years old" fit in?
P

as I get older and with my recent brush with the grim reaper during my heart valve replacement, made me consider the possibility that at a certain age it might not be a good idea putting some things off for the day after tomorrow,
Unless of course these things are doing your chores and paying your bills, :lol:
If I paid my bills and then "dearly departed" I would be very pissed off :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:24 pm

sirineou wrote:If I paid my bills and then "dearly departed" I would be very pissed off

Are you suggesting us old folks max out our credit cards the whole time?
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby sirineou » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
sirineou wrote:If I paid my bills and then "dearly departed" I would be very pissed off

Are you suggesting us old folks max out our credit cards the whole time?

Haaa, now that's a great idea
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:25 am

Seeing as I think I am the oldest one on these posts at 83,maybe my input is of interest. Now everyone I know and come in contact with,think that I must be one of the fitest "Oldie" they have ever come across. I do accept that fact and realise how lucky I am to still be able to do most of the activities of a much younger man(although not for such long periods) Given that fact I still find that with old age and an obvious limited future,I get bored easily, have lost my enthusiasm for all the things that used to interest and excite me.We are talking about all those activities that begin with S like sailing /scuba diving /swimming/ skiing and of course Sex,not necessarily in that order. The only thing that seems to interest me now apart from watching T.V. and my computer and the occasional book,is any form of work in the garden or the house.(Can't wait to get over to Thailand in March) Now how anyone could hang around in old age with all those disabilities that most people end up with is beyond me. Give me a Pill for Gods sake.!! (Not just yet though)
Mike Judd
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am
Location: Church Point Sydney N.S.W. Australia. Khon Kaen

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Mike Judd wrote: Now how anyone could hang around in old age with all those disabilities that most people end up with is beyond me. Give me a Pill for Gods sake.!!


Didn't realise how popular this idea would be ... you are second on the list after Roger Ramjet.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:54 pm

MGV12 wrote:Didn't realise how popular this idea would be ... you are second on the list after Roger Ramjet.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Just an opinion?


“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Only in America [?]

Postby sirineou » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:03 pm

MGV12 wrote:Just an opinion?



The straw man affect, set up a false premise, and proceed to debunk it. :roll:
The speaker needs to be careful it looks like he is about to loose his marbles. :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Next

Return to Friendly Banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest