Rugby League

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Rugby League

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:02 am

"Go the Bunnies", in what should be a great match with Manly out to get revenge for it's last two losses to South's. Can't wait for tonight's T.V. !
Mike Judd

Re: Rugby League

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Mike Judd wrote:"Go the Bunnies", in what should be a great match with Manly out to get revenge for it's last two losses to South's. Can't wait for tonight's T.V. !

I'm going to keep my mouth shut! A pom who follows the wabbits and Queensland. Just where are the loyalties?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:04 pm

As a Pom who has lived in OZ for over 55yrs altogether, first time 1952 for 2yrs, I have always followed the North Sydney Bears until their demise after the Super League debacle . Then the Bears became South's feeder team,so naturally I started to barrack for them. As mentioned before Queensland always had a sprinkling of Bears in the team ,so that was a natural choice. You have never indicated your choice R.R. ? or are you a Aerial Ping Pong fan, A.F.L.?
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Mike Judd wrote:You have never indicated your choice R.R. ? or are you a Aerial Ping Pong fan, A.F.L.?

I played both rugby (union and league) and Aussie rules at school. I also played both in the army. As I was posted all over Australia I had to stay with my first choice of club when I was a nipper, which for the AFL was always Essendon - many a keg won and lost over that in the finals - against Richmond mostly, and also a frosty reception received from both parents when they lived in Carlton and dad and I would run around the Carlton footy oval at night (when I was on leave) with me winning and yelling "up the Bombers". My father was also a Carlton club board member, which was like rubbing salt into a chainsaw wound. :D
As for rugby (union and league) I have always followed Queensland (even though they were losing 25% to 75% to NSW) since I was mostly posted there, and being raised in the NT, prior to being posted to Ingleburn, North Shore and later Victoria Barracks and Holsworthy, so I could never make up my mind which team I should support in either League or Union, but as the army mostly played union, I supported the unit team I got roped into playing for. And they were bloody affairs in the Military Police because many army members had been booked by them previously. In one match there were three broken arms, a broken leg and about 10 head high tackles along with an assortment of other minor injuries involving stitches, but luckily it was against 2 Camp Hospital so there were plenty of medics on hand. The referee stopped the game after the first 15 minutes and walked off because he was told he couldn't send off our captain and coach (Captain Father Daddy Tinker the RC Padre) for swearing and bad "behavior" (fights) which eventually got us black balled, but we did win all the fights in that match. So I just followed the Wallabies and State of Origin.
There was never a debacle in why the Super League was started, it was a matter of choice. ARF saw the writing on the wall years before them and spread its wings to encompass all of Australia's massive depth of talent in sports. The RL at the time was losing supporters to both the AFL and RU because of their mismanagement. It took people with foresight like Russell Crowe and others to see the writing on the wall and throw out all the old fuddy duddies. You just can't tell a person raised in Penrith, or where ever, that he has to barrack and play for Penrith or where ever. Aussies do not like being told what they must do.
Even when my two boys were playing for the Group 16 RL on the Far South Coast the mindset was so entrenched that I used to drive them to Canberra. That caused a stir because Cooma is between both, but the Group 16 RL couldn't get their small minds around the fact that Canberra was closer than the Far South Coast. So both changed to ARF.
The changes the new ARL have introduced have opened the game up a lot with far less injuries and in doing so have bought back the followers. Tina Turner would be happy. http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?v ... 4d16e9f1bb
To be honest I'll also be following the Wappits even though I worked at Long Bay for 9 years....work that one out. I wonder who'll win the fights?
Does that answer the question? Time to take the dogs for a walk and start warming up!
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:51 pm

It appears that sea eagles like having rabbit for breakfast lunch and tea. Manly too strong in the forwards and Jamie Lyon (c) too good a playmaker and an even better kicker. Russell Crowe put on his Gladiator face the second half. Really bad handling errors from both sides but excellent refereeing the whole way through. Next year then?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:16 am

Thanks for that R.R. although I don't think I have ever been so disappointed at the result last night ,God knows how the players feel. After that start you would have thought they had it in the bag, but Manly were just too good on the day. I will have to try and not get my expectations up so much next year, it's only a game.! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:10 am

What a great start to the season, Bunnies 28 Roosters 8 and then Melbourne beat Manly by a field goal 23 -22 Now comes another big one next friday, Souths vis Manly, that will be the last one I will get to see on T.V. for 2 months. I'll have to try and find someone over in Khon Kaen that has Satellite T.V. The R.L. at the week-end is the best part of the week for me.
Mike Judd

Return to Friendly Banter