No surprise here

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: No surprise here

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:31 pm

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away"

A statin a day keeps the doctor away: comparative proverb assessment modelling study

Introduction

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” a public health message delivered by parents and teachers since the 19th century,1 is an example of how concise, clear, and accurate Victorian health promotion can truly stand the test of time, whereas other Victorian practices—such as the use of leeches in primary care—have fallen away.

For those who don't want the 'stuff' in between:

Conclusions

The comparison of a medicalised approach to chronic disease prevention with that of a lifestyle one has been previously estimated (polypill versus polymeal), although, in our view, not with any realistic hope of changing population behaviour, despite the suggestion to employ out of work cardiologists as chefs.31 We offer a simplified version of this: our study suggests that both nutritional and pharmaceutical population approaches to primary prevention of vascular disease have the potential to have a significant effect on population mortality. We find that a 150 year old proverb is able to match modern medicine and is likely to have fewer side effects. Now to model the effect of inquisitiveness on feline mortality rates.

For those who do: http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f7267

Unless of course the apple is from China and therefore may be full of chemicals! :roll:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 pm

I will admite that I did not read the whole report, way too many words, some of them big, and not enough pictures :lol:
I assume that By "statin" they mean the Medication approach, and by "Apple" they mean alterations in lifestyle.
Though there is no doubt that changes in lifestyle can certainly have beneficial outcomes, for many people the affliction is not the result of lifestyle choices but the outcome of genetic predisposition, or other influences beyond our control.I am for all intensive purposes, a vegetarian, not for any philosophical reasons, but because I like vegetables, no problem eating the occasional stake or hamburger,
But I have high Cholesterol. :( No possible changes in my lifestyle could/would ever change that. I am sure that there are many many others in similar situations.
So I don't see the point of this report, unless of course there was something I missed. But since I have never missed anything else before in my life, :mrgreen: I Don't see who this could be possible.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Well if there are way too many words with some of them big and not enough pictures I will also skip the read. But pray tell what was meant by "leeches in primary care—have fallen away" hogwash I say and to back it up here is a little piece from the BBC about the USA.

The humble leech's medical magic
By Melissa Jackson
BBC News Online health staff

Leeches
Leeches have a long medical pedigree
The latest endorsement for using blood-sucking leeches for medical purposes has come from the US government.
In a world where medical advances are dominated by developments in drugs and surgery it seems that in certain fields these humble creatures cannot be beaten.

They are highly prized as a tool for healing skin grafts or restoring circulation, especially in reconstructive surgery.

Now the US Food and Drug Administration has approved an application from French firm Ricarimpex SAS to market leeches for medicinal purposes.

For the rest:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3858087.stm
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Now I did read the "study" out of interest. I also read his other reports and his research into carbon tax "models" on behalf of the UKG, which is where he goes off the rails with "estimates" or approximations. In one line he claims it is 10% and the next sentence he "estimates" it could be as high as 30%. He then goes on to make some serious guesses and some serious hypothesising about how the UKG should raise certain taxes to offset his proposed model for a new carbon tax and in doing so destroys any credibility he might have conducted into any research.
The fact that he postulates statin daily (even for people who don't need it) beggars belief. I would now have been taking statin for over 15 years without needing it, which is stupid.
You cannot guesstimate with a study, it either finds "more significant than not" or it doesn't find at all and his study didn't find at all.
That's all I need, another drug to kill me.
sirineou wrote:no problem eating the occasional stake or hamburger,

I take it you eat stakes for the roughage value, however I couldn't imagine eating a whole eucaliptus stake. :D :D I much prefer steak. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:03 am

BKKBILL wrote:Well if there are way too many words with some of them big and not enough pictures I will also skip the read. But pray tell what was meant by "leeches in primary care—have fallen away" hogwash I say and to back it up here is a little piece from the BBC about the USA.

Ohhh , they are talking about the actual leeches.
When the talked about leeches in primary care I though they were talking about private health care insurance companies and lawyers. :lol:
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:44 am

On another subject as a matter of interest, I have been reading the life story of a General Leon Degrelle who was a popular Belgium national politician who went on to become a highly decorated soldier in Hitlers S.S. throughout the war, who ended up living in Spain where he died some where in the 90's . I was wondering how true his version of his life was and his take on how he found Hitler whom he met many times throughout his career. As one who was just a child in the war and always led to believe that Hitler was nothing more than a complete monster, it was interesting to read an alternative version from someone who's only mistake was to fight on the wrong and losing side. No one ever accused him of any particular crime but he and his family were hounded quite a bit for years after. Although it's probably a bit before most of our members to remember personally, maybe there's a negative side to the man who comes over as too good to be true.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 am

"It does exactly what it says on the tin" is an advertising slogan well known to those in the UK; used by Ronseal to promote their wood-stain product. Containers marked with the word Pesticide contain a substance that does what it says on the label ... it kills [-cide from the Latin for 'killer' 'act of killing']. These products are designed to kill 'pests' but nobody really knows what else they are killing ... however ... the following research throws some light on the affects they are having in the human body. Much other research is being carried out and in due course the news is unlikely to be good news IMO ... an example http://www.beyondpesticides.org/infoser ... throid.php

A 30% decline in sperm count doesn't appear to have affected abilities to reproduce the species in France, so far, as birth rate statistics show in fact a slight increase since the turn of the century [ http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?v=25&c=fr&l=en] and some would say that any means of controlling world population increases is no bad thing anyway. For sure I am not one of those .... With the amount of -cides used in Thailand [many of dubious origin and content] you might expect a severe decline in birth rate here and .. unlike in France ... there has been a significant drop in the same period http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?v=25&c=th&l=en. Taken against a backdrop of improving health and declining levels of poverty this is perhaps a better indicator of the trend. Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos mirror the trend downwards and I doubt any of this is due to better family planning education!

Pesticides Linked to 30% Decline in French Men’s Sperm Count

(Beyond Pesticides, March 13, 2014) Part deux of a 2012 study finding that sperm counts in French men had decreased 30% over the past 16 years came to a second startling conclusion in a 2014 analysis: the cause for those dramatic decreases may be pesticides.

2012 Sperm-Count Study

Published in the scientific journal Human Reproduction, the landmark 2012 study showed an alarming 30 percent decrease in sperm counts across France between 1989 and 2005. Because the data for the 2012 study were drawn from Fivnat —a French assisted reproduction technology database— researches made sure to limit analysis to 26,600 sperm samples from otherwise virile 35-year-old men whose partners’ fallopian tubes were either blocked or missing. This control was added to ensure that the each couple’s infertility was due to these latter problems and not a problem with the man’s sperm. Broken down, the 2012 studies identified a 1.9 percent continued annual dip in sperm concentration and also found that there was a significant 33.4% decrease in the percentage of normally formed sperm over the entire 16-year period.

At the time of release, the 2012 study’s authors wrote: “To our knowledge, it is the first study concluding a severe and general decrease in sperm concentration and morphology at the scale of a whole country over a substantial period. This constitutes a serious public health warning. The link with the environment particularly needs to be determined.”

Missing from the 2012 study was the reason for the decline. While researchers made adjustments for variables that could affect the results, such as men’s age, the season, the location where sperm samples were collected, and differing in vitro techniques, 2012 study controls were unable to address socioeconomic factors, including smoking and weight.

Joëlle Le Moal, Ph.D., lead scientist for both studies, speculated in 2012 that environmental factors, such as exposure to endocrine-disruptors, could be the cause of the decline but had not analyzed data to confirm that suspicion.

2014 Sperm-Count Study

Now it looks like the suspicion was correct. Using the same 2012 data and again led by Dr. Joëlle Le Moal, researchers went one step further and looked at which geographic regions had the steepest decline in sperm count rates over the same 16-year period. In Semen quality trends in French regions are consistent with a global change in environmental exposure, researchers conclude that while most regions demonstrate the overall trend of decline in sperm counts and quality, the strongest decreases and lowest values are consistently observed in the regions of Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées, and Burgundy —densely populated and highly agricultural regions.

This time, Dr. Moal and her team were able to discount alcohol and cigarettes as possible causes, because the most affected areas are not those where the consumption of tobacco and alcohol are highest, and said genetic factors could not explain the rapid rate of decline.

Instead, exposure to pesticides used throughout these regions where agriculture provides substantial portions of the local economy and are some of the largest agricultural regions for the entire country of France, are the likely culprit.

A Problem for All Men

We suggest U.S. men (and all nationalities) take heed as recent scientific literature reviews came to similar conclusions regardless of where a man calls home.

In a U.S. review, researchers counted semen quality according to concentration of sperm over an area, their motility and ability to move, as well as their shapes. Researchers targeted studies on DDT, HCH, and abamectin, grouping pyrethroids and organophosphates by class. What they found was striking: almost all the studies reported a decrease in sperm concentration; decreased motility was also reported though less frequently; and, while morphological changes were not strongly associated in studies—only two indicated any changes to sperm shape.

The French findings build on the now growing body of evidence that pesticide exposure at environmental or occupational levels diminishes sperm health. For many, the connection is an obvious one: endocrine disruption. Sperm production is regulated by the endocrine system, a highly sensitive form of hormone regulators. Pesticides in both high and low doses are potent endocrine-disruptors, meaning that they disturb the highly-sensitive endocrine system that regulates many other bodily systems.

While the endocrine-disrupting effects of many pesticides have been documented, U.S. regulators have been extremely slow to move forward with the statutorily-mandated review of pesticides for the previously unevaluated risk of potential endocrine disruption. Yet, findings like Dr. Moal’s studies and many others highlight the importance of generating strong pesticide regulations that take into consideration endocrine disrupting effects when evaluating safety standards for worker protection and human health impact.

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/?p=12926

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:23 am

30% less sperm? no problem, just have 30% more sex,
just do the math, everybody wins :mrgreen:
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:47 am

sirineou wrote:30% less sperm? no problem, just have 30% more sex,

You are obviously not very good at math :roll:

An Idiots Guide to Math: Example 100 - 30% = 70 + 30% = 91 :wink:

MGV12

Postby sirineou » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:39 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:30% less sperm? no problem, just have 30% more sex,

You are obviously not very good at math :roll:

An Idiots Guide to Math: Example 100 - 30% = 70 + 30% = 91 :wink:

Sorry to disappoint now days 30% more sex is all I can muster, :(
what with being busy with my calculator during sex :lol: :lol:
I see your mistake tough, you incorrectly assumed that originally I was operating at 100%, but me being the superior human being that we all know and love, have always operated at well above 100%
100%+30%=130% more sex, producing 30% more fissile material, minus 30% lazy bastards ,
Still working at 100% capasity :D

and when I get the Lazy bastards to do some work, like tripping and mugging the stupid eager beavers who have no business than to make more nuclear material, of which I don,'t need any more as I am running out of storage facilites,
So much the better :P .
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:15 pm

sirineou wrote:Sorry to disappoint now days 30% more sex is all I can muster, :(
what with being busy with my calculator during sex :lol: :lol:
I see your mistake tough, you incorrectly assumed that originally I was operating at 100%, but me being the superior human being that we all know and love, have always operated at well above 100%
100%+30%=130% more sex, producing 30% more fissile material, minus 30% lazy bastards ,
Still working at 100% capasity :D

and when I get the Lazy bastards to do some work, like tripping and mugging the stupid eager beavers who have no business than to make more nuclear material, of which I don,'t need any more as I am running out of storage facilites,
So much the better :P .

You gotta be taking on board some strong shyte these days :shock:

I get the beaver reference
Beaver
another word for vagina or pussy
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beaver

but WTF does

have to do with it?

Maybe you need to simply get your 'workers' to do the American thing:

Oh and BTW ... still crap in the math dept as 130% - 30% does not equal 100%. :roll:

Without doubt you will be able to learn something from this lookalike [you all look the same to us!] American buddy:

Made I laff :lol: :lol: :lol:

MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 am

There is no pulling the wool over your eyes,
my math might not be entirely correct but they are not entirely incorrect also. The "entirely incorrect" part canceling out the the "entirely correct part' of the equation
not entirely incorrect/entirely correct=not (correct or incorrect something like Schrodinger Cat.)
But I would not expect you to understand the complexity of the above mathematical expression, not many do,including me.
But I don't need to understand such things, I'm American, and American exceptionalism excludes me from such erudite requirements.
eager beavers: a person or entity who is enthusiastic about doing something
But I like where you were going with it better :lol:
I don't know why I wrote nuclear, I wanted to write fissile , but then again I invoke the above , universally recognized "American exceptionalisn" clause .
I like your SpeRambo video, where do you find these things? :lol: :lol: . That's the eager beaver behavior I am trying to discourage,
and that's why after having seen some of the younger generation I have decided to we need stronger pesticides, a 30% sperm reduction is entirely insufficient.
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:38 am

sirineou wrote:There is no pulling the wool over your eyes,
my math might not be entirely correct but they are not entirely incorrect also. The "entirely incorrect" part canceling out the the "entirely correct part' of the equation
not entirely incorrect/entirely correct=not (correct or incorrect something like Schrodinger Cat.)
But I would not expect you to understand the complexity of the above mathematical expression, not many do,including me.
But I don't need to understand such things, I'm American, and American exceptionalism excludes me from such erudite requirements.
eager beavers: a person or entity who is enthusiastic about doing something
But I like where you were going with it better :lol:
I don't know why I wrote nuclear, I wanted to write fissile , but then again I invoke the above , universally recognized "American exceptionalisn" clause .
I like your SpeRambo video, where do you find these things? :lol: :lol: . That's the eager beaver behavior I am trying to discourage,
and that's why after having seen some of the younger generation I have decided to we need stronger pesticides, a 30% sperm reduction is entirely insufficient.

Okay ... the video is convincing evidence that your family members are good at reproduction ... even though incest will continue to weaken the Gene pool :( What I don't get is why you included the two with a high IQ in the video :? some sort of mathematical comparison maybe :?: Instead of practicing American Exceptionalism I would suggest that maybe perfecting contraceptionism would be more appropriate. :)

"Ronald Reagan often implied that America was uniquely blessed by God, citing a World War II-era quote from the Pope that "into the hands of America, God has placed the destinies of afflicted humanity." His vice president, George H. W. Bush, put it less eloquently when he said, "I will never apologize for the United States of America, ever. I don't care what the facts are.""

US ‘Exceptionalism’ Boomerangs
March 20, 2014

Official Washington thinks “American exceptionalism” means the U.S. government can ignore international law when intervening in other countries. But that hypocrisy is now coming back to bite the U.S. with Russia’s annexation of Crimea, as ex-CIA analyst Paul R. Pillar explains.

http://consortiumnews.com/2014/03/20/us ... oomerangs/

Is that “American Exceptionalism” thingy connected to the "American Dream" thingy in any way? As that didn't work out too well now did it! Subtitles to assist in maybe getting it right next time :lol:

Added later while you were sleeping:

sirineou wrote:my math might not be entirely correct but they are not entirely incorrect also. The "entirely incorrect" part canceling out the the "entirely correct part' of the equation
not entirely incorrect/entirely correct=not

Preponderance is not necessarily a precursor to excellence in performance and therefore your original claim is possibly/probably/definitely a terminological inexactitude ... therefore anything that follows is inadmissible 8)

MGV12

Previous

Return to Friendly Banter