No surprise here

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: No surprise here

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Thai govt under more pressure over rice bill

Nirmal Ghosh
The Straits Times
Publication Date : 11-02-2014

Rice farmers demanding to be paid under a subsidy scheme are adding pressure on Thailand's already beleaguered government, as it struggles to find a way to foot the massive bill for the populist rice-purchase policy that has backfired badly.

Over a thousand farmers gathered on Monday at a Ministry of Defence building that caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her Cabinet use.

The ministers work from this building after being forced to abandon their regular offices by protesters from the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), which has been holding rallies in Bangkok in its bid to force the government out of power.

The government, after being disrupted by the PDRC demonstrations for weeks, struck back on Monday for the first time by arresting one of the protest leaders.

Sonthiyarn Chuenruethai- naitham was arrested and will be held for seven days before being produced in court and charged with sedition.

He was one of 19 PDRC leaders who had arrest warrants issued for them last week, and are not allowed to leave the country.

But it is the demands of the rice farmers that have become a major problem for a government and ruling party that draws support from rural voters, amid the continuing protests by PDRC supporters.

And there is a possibility that the two separate protests may merge to add more headache to the Yingluck government.

PDRC supporters on Monday welcomed the farmers and marched through the streets of Bangkok appealing for donations to help make payments to the rice farmers.

Under the two-year-old scheme, which is a flagship policy of the ruling Puea Thai party, some of the farmers have sold rice to the government - at prices above the world market - but have yet to be paid for up to six months in some cases.

This has driven many into the clutches of loan sharks.

The protests have been emotional, with many farmers becoming increasingly desperate.

One farmers' group on Monday said it would seize rice warehouses from the government, a move that would drive the government further into a financial hole. The government is sitting on around 20 million tonnes of rice, which it can sell only at bargain basement prices.

And as leader of a caretaker government, Yingluck cannot raise the money it may need to pay the farmers - up to US$4 billion - except through borrowing from private banks. The banks are not issuing loans to a caretaker administration in the uncertain political climate.

The farmers in recent days have blocked highways in the north to demand payment. Monday's protest was the biggest yet in Bangkok.

Disillusionment with the government's rice scheme is thought to have dented the Puea Thai's showing at the polls on February 2 - the first round of a contentious general election.

As PDRC supporters marched in downtown Bangkok collecting donations, Sonthiyarn was arrested in a mall some distance away in Lad Prao.

Most PDRC leaders have been spending days and nights inside rally sites, surrounded by people and their own guards. This has made it difficult for police still under orders to show maximum restraint, which has allowed the protesters virtual free run of the city, to move in and arrest them.

In a sign of the volatility of the political stalemate, a homemade bomb exploded on Monday at a spot previously occupied by PDRC protesters, injuring several street cleaners.

It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Sadly getting worse for some before [and if] it gets better:

A Sukhothai farmer commits suicide over mounting debts

One female farmer committed suicide in Sukhothai by hanging herself because she was stressed and had no money to settle her debts, according to Mr Pichai Amnartsak, kamnan of Tambon Ban Mai Sukkasem, Kong Krailart district.

He identified the victim as Mrs Penseenee Thongchoy, a farmer in Village 3 of Tambon Ban Mai Sukkasem.

The kamnan said that farmers in his district were in deep trouble because they have no cash to settle their old debts and to invest in the new planting season. Many of them have turned to underground lenders who charged very high interest rates, yet they still don’t have enough money to sustain a living, he said, adding that some were very stressed, citing the case of Mrs Penseenee who was so desperate that she decided to commit suicide.

Mrs Kaewlum Chamnan, a farmer of Tambon Ban Mai Sukkasem, said that she had not been paid for five months since she pledged her crops from 130 rai of farmland. What she has in hand is the bai pratuan paper for 1.3 million baht which still remains unpaid so she can settle the two million baht in debt with the Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sukhot ... ing-debts/

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:40 pm

So sad :(
I had a close friend , stock broker.lost everything, with the economic downturn a few years ago. We knew things were bad, we had all lost a lot of money, I had to start again from almost nothing, but we really didn't
know how bad it was for him. I guess his whole persona was that of the successful stock broker, and after that
he had nothing to live for.
Any way , we found him hanging from the ceiling. What a shame, nice guy, had everything to live for,he just could not see it.
Five years later, we are all on top again, he would had being too.If he could only had made it through the dark times.
I often wonder what could had gone through his mind, these last few hours, so sad, that would had driven him to the point of taking his own life.
I hope the farmer lady did not have any children. :( R.I.P.
And I hope the government takes notice, BOTH SIDES, these are real people with real lives they play games with :x :x
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm

As Thaksin wrote "Thai politics is played out with cruelty and in cold blood. Please don't be cruel to me".

Thai vote official says new general election may be needed
BY AMY SAWITTA LEFEVRE
BANGKOK Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:04am EST

(Reuters) - A member of Thailand's Election Commission said it may prove impossible to complete this month's disrupted election and the whole vote may need to be re-run, implying many months more under a caretaker government with limited powers.
Action by anti-government protesters meant voting was scrapped or halted in about a fifth of constituencies, so there will not be enough lawmakers elected to convene parliament to vote in a prime minister.
"If the situation continues like this, there is no way the election will be successful and we will not get the 95 percent of parliamentary seats needed," Election Commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn told Reuters in an interview.
"We might have to sacrifice this election and call a new one ... The government will have to call a new election date and get the king's endorsement," he said.
According to Somchai's reading of the constitution, voting has to be held on the same day throughout the country, so holding fresh votes would be illegal. The government contests that and wants the five-member Commission to ensure voting in the affected constituencies goes ahead as soon as possible.
Somchai doubted that was on the cards, given the opposition of the protest group, the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), which wants political and electoral changes implemented before an election and rejected the February 2 ballot.
"I've been to 12 out of 14 provinces in the south and the PDRC down there really won't cooperate. They are really against an election," he said.

(Reporting by Amy Sawitta Lefevre; Writing by Alan Raybould; Editing by Alex Richardson)

Read more at: http://www.firstpost.com/world/for-thak ... 83917.html?
BKKBILL

Some surprise here

Postby MGV12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Havoc! As floods hit new areas, 108mph winds cause power cuts, shut motorways and force passengers off trains. Now prepare for a month's rain in two days

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hames.html

So why wasn't Thames dredged?

In case a rare mollusc was disturbed - despite the region being described as one of the most 'undefended flood plains in England'

The endangered mollusc halted calls to dredge strife-hit stretch of water
Environment Agency put welfare of 'aquatic species' before residents
EA claims the mussels were not the only reason it wasn't dredged

The Army has been called in, hundreds of families have been forced to evacuate their homes, and small businesses are wondering if they’ll ever be able to reopen.

But it’s not bad news for all the inhabitants of the Thames Valley. The river’s population of Depressed River Mussels is safe.

As residents faced an uncertain future, it emerged the Environment Agency rejected calls to dredge the flood-hit lower reaches of the Thames because of the presence of the endangered mollusc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gland.html

Mind you ... I am there when it comes to protecting endangered species but it's not as if they didn't have a little while to chat about it ... aren't the media great at biding their time?

Mussels.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 pm

How can you say "Some surprise here" just look at the little darlings.

article-2558087-0023E50900000258-68_634x397.jpg

The Army has been called in, hundreds of families have been forced to evacuate their homes, and small businesses are wondering if they’ll ever be able to reopen.
But it’s not bad news for all the inhabitants of the Thames Valley. The river’s population of Depressed River Mussels is safe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 pm

I don't think it is the river Mussel that's is the main concern, but the Ecosystem the Mussel is a part of.
People who do not like getting flooded, should not build in a flood plain. :D

PS: if I was a river Mussel and you were trying to dredge me out, I would be depressed too.
Has anyone considered offering Psychiatric services to the Mussels, maybe if they were less depressed they would move on their own, :lol:
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:13 am

sirineou wrote:Has anyone considered offering Psychiatric services to the Mussels, maybe if they were less depressed they would move on their own, :lol:

Yet another burden on the National Health Service? Wouldn't happen in America ... no insurance ... no treatment ... especially for wetbacks!

Maybe different under Mr Obama's new healthcare package of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe this guy has some ideas:

JCVD.jpg

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:41 pm

This should clear any confusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSGmVlqR24
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:48 pm

BKKBILL wrote:This should clear any confusion.

'bowt as clear as this to most viewers:

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Thai PM under siege, lengthy protests take toll on economy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... 5X20140217
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 am

BKKBILL wrote:Thai PM under siege, lengthy protests take toll on economy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... 5X20140217

I could not think of a more apropos article for the title of this thread.
The more I read and learn about Thailand. (political instability,police corruption, crime, pollution,visa challenges, property ownership, health care challenges,bureaucrats making up the rules as they go, etc. etc. ) The more I want to take all my hard earned wealth and invest it there. :wink:
Or perhaps a vacation home there , with a quick exit strategy might be a better option for me.
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:56 am

sirineou wrote: (political instability,police corruption, crime, pollution,visa challenges, property ownership, health care challenges,bureaucrats making up the rules as they go, etc. etc. ) The more I want to take all my hard earned wealth and invest it there. :wink:
Or perhaps a vacation home there , with a quick exit strategy might be a better option for me.

Now I'm confused are we talking about Thailand or America here. :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am

BKKBILL wrote:
sirineou wrote: (political instability,police corruption, crime, pollution,visa challenges, property ownership, health care challenges,bureaucrats making up the rules as they go, etc. etc. ) The more I want to take all my hard earned wealth and invest it there. :wink:

I know you are kidding, but the more I learn about Thailand the more concerned I get.
Though we might not like the direction politics take in the US, we all can agree that the system is very stable, crime ,at least in the communities I live in, is minimal, and any corruption present is not apparent on the day to day transactional level.
Pollution though present , is definitely not at the Thai level,health care is excellent, if you can afford it, and bureaucratic rules are applied equally, on a daily transactional level.
Anyway I don't know,I am very concerned with the current political climate in Thailand, and I am not sure if I am willing to bet my future on it. When I retire there, I think I will maintain a residence,in the US, in case things don't work out for me in Thailand.
Perhaps when I move to Thailand, I will find out that all these thing dont really affect me, and be happy there, but just in case, a quick exit strategy does not hurt. :)
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:11 am

sirineou wrote:
BKKBILL wrote:

I know you are kidding, but the more I learn about Thailand the more concerned I get.
Though we might not like the direction politics take in the US, we all can agree that the system is very stable, crime ,at least in the communities I live in, is minimal, and any corruption present is not apparent on the day to day transactional level.
Pollution though present , is definitely not at the Thai level,health care is excellent, if you can afford it, and bureaucratic rules are applied equally, on a daily transactional level.
Anyway I don't know,I am very concerned with the current political climate in Thailand, and I am not sure if I am willing to bet my future on it. When I retire there, I think I will maintain a residence,in the US, in case things don't work out for me in Thailand.
Perhaps when I move to Thailand, I will find out that all these thing dont really affect me, and be happy there, but just in case, a quick exit strategy does not hurt. :)

Not completely sure he was only kidding :P

exit_strategy.1.gif

Sorry ... had an Australian moment there :oops:

MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter