No surprise here

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: No surprise here

Postby fredlk » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Mike Judd wrote: But luckily ,I have never been grumpy

And you call yourself a man? :lol:
(For the uninitiated: this is a joke.)
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Since "No Surprise here" is now screwed here is a little joke that could help your ailment Mike.

A teacher is teaching a class and she sees that Johnny isn't paying attention, so she asks him, "If there are three ducks sitting on a fence, and you shoot one, how many are left?" Johnny says, "None." The teacher asks, "Why?" Johnny says, "Because the shot scared them all off." The teacher says, "No, two, but I like how you're thinking." Johnny asks the teacher, "If you see three women walking out of an ice cream parlor, one is licking her ice cream, one is sucking her ice cream, and one is biting her ice cream, which one is married?" The teacher says, "The one sucking her ice cream." Johnny says, "No, the one with the wedding ring, but I like how you're thinking!"

OK don't like that one how about;

A man calls 911 and says, "I think my wife is dead." The operator says, "How do you know?" The man says, "The sex is about the same, but the ironing is piling up!"
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Since there is really no hope left lets have a few more,

As an airplane is about to crash, a female passenger jumps up frantically and announces, "If I'm going to die, I want to die feeling like a woman." She removes all her clothing and asks, "Is there someone on this plane who is man enough to make me feel like a woman?" A man stands up, removes his shirt and says, "Here, iron this!".

Then there is the one I like

Did you hear they finally made a device that makes cars run 95% quieter? Yeah, it fits right over her mouth.

and

Reaching the end of a job interview, the Human Resources Officer asks a young engineer fresh out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, "And what starting salary are you looking for?" The engineer replies, "In the region of $125,000 a year, depending on the benefits package." The interviewer inquires, "Well, what would you say to a package of five weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, company matching retirement fund to 50% of salary, and a company car leased every two years, say, a red Corvette?" The engineer sits up straight and says, "Wow! Are you kidding?" The interviewer replies, "Yeah, but you started it."

Next time might post a funny one.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Yoga and Sex Scandals: No Surprise Here
By WILLIAM J. BROAD

gta_5_yoga.jpg

The wholesome image of yoga took a hit in the past few weeks as a rising star of the discipline came tumbling back to earth. After accusations of sexual impropriety with female students, John Friend, the founder of Anusara, one of the world’s fastest-growing styles, told followers that he was stepping down for an indefinite period of “self-reflection, therapy and personal retreat.”

Mr. Friend preached a gospel of gentle poses mixed with openness aimed at fostering love and happiness. But Elena Brower, a former confidante, has said that insiders knew of his “penchant for women” and his love of “partying and fun.”

Few had any idea about his sexual indiscretions, she added. The apparent hypocrisy has upset many followers.

“Those folks are devastated,” Ms. Brower wrote in The Huffington Post. “They’re understandably disappointed to hear that he cheated on his girlfriends repeatedly” and “lied to so many.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/healt ... d=all&_r=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Unlikely to be appreciated by the majority:

Never was one for conforming to the majority ........

These people are voted in to represent 'us' ... our needs .. our desires ... our dreams ... our wishes?

Less than a minute on Youtube:

Apologies Sirineou [not really :lol: ] but your lot had to be in there:

Lighten up and just get on with your own life :D

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:06 pm

DEMOCRACY: Democracy and Churchill

Kurt Gaubatz recalls Churchill's famous dictum: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." (from a House of Commons speech on Nov. 11, 1947)

RH:
The timing of this famous remark is significant. Churchill won the war, but in the election of July 1945, he was defeated. At the time I thought the public showed gross ingratitude, but I am willing to accept the interpretation that Churchill was not the man to organize the peace.

When the news came out, Churchill was taking a bath (was there ever a statesman who spent more time in the bath?) He remarked "They have a perfect right to kick me out. That is democracy". When he was offered the Order of the Garter, he asked "Why should I accept the Order of the Garter, when the British people have just given me the Order of the Boot?".

He returned to power in 1951. The remark about democracy was made when he had lost power and had every reason to be bitter. Fortunately he kept his sense of humor even in the most trying circumstances.
Ronald Hilton - 09.05.03
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks for popping up there BKKBILL as I had forgotten that Canada is 'sort of' independent these days and has a 'sort of' democratic parliament:

For those who have nothing better to do ... this is a reminder of who the boss really is :P :

No wonder you chose to live in Thailand ... where the politics are so much clearer.

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Lets have some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:38 am

All these quotes warn against the "Tyranny of the majority" , and the attempt of the few to usurp the process. That is why most successful democratic systems have a strong constitution, and a strong,independent, Judiciary to ensure adherence to the constitution.
Any deviations from that constitution as we now see in many countries , in their alleged war against terrorism, will have disastrous results, as witnessed in other countries that abandon their constitution in the quest for expediency and politics.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:54 am

After watching those videos I think we would be better off having the Goons running all those countries, at least they are /were funnier, if we forget the tragedy of it all for us.Then when you think of the vast amounts of money it cost us all, surely there has to be a better way.? While on the subject , does anyone out there have the knowledge of how Swiss politics work. Although blessed with a small country to manage, they do seem to have stayed out of trouble through the years and reasonably prosperous. The only thing that I have gathered about their politics is that they do have a lot of referendums on any changes, right or wrong. ?
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:57 am

Here's my contribution to the joke department.

A recent article in the Dominion Post reported that a woman, Anne Maynard, has sued Wellington Hospital, saying that after her husband had surgery there, he lost all interest in sex.

A hospital spokesman replied:

"Mr. Maynard was admitted for cataract surgery. All we did was correct his eyesight.
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Populist policies to get elected alway seem to come back and bite and this is just one of them.

flagship rice buying policy turns sour
By AP News Feb 06, 2014 4:34PM UTC

BANGKOK (AP) — An ambitious rice buying program that Thailand’s ruling party hoped would uplift millions of its poor rural supporters may end up helping to bring down the increasingly cornered government.

Hundreds of farmers from more than 10 provinces converged Thursday on the capital Bangkok to demand rice payments now overdue for several months after the policy caused ruinous losses. Some have blocked three main highways in the north and the west, while a few hundred in the ruling party’s northeastern heartland protested at a provincial government hall.

With the help of populist policies such as the rice pledging scheme, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s party won a landslide election victory in 2011. But it suffered a self-inflicted and crushing setback late last year by attempting to amnesty Yingluck’s elder brother Thaksin Shinwawatra so he could return to the kingdom without serving prison time for a corruption conviction. Ousted as prime minister in a 2006 coup, Thaksin is a polarizing figure, beloved in the countryside and loathed in the capital where military, palace and old money cliques have traditionally held sway over the nation.

The rice crisis could not have come at a worse time for the government, which is reduced to a caretaker administration after street protests sparked by the amnesty law forced new elections. Official results of the Feb. 2 vote may not be announced for months after protesters in Bangkok prevented some polling places from functioning, requiring by-elections. The government is also assailed by numerous court cases and investigations that could result in it being deposed judicially.
Now the ruling party faces the risk that the bedrock of its support, farmers, will turn against it.

“We are going on the streets because we’re facing a dead-end,” said Sombat Roek-anan, a farmer from Ayutthaya province, a stronghold of the ruling Pheu Thai party. “The farmers used to be 100 percent behind the government before the rice scheme, but now it’s 50-50.”

The rest is at

http://asiancorrespondent.com/119320/th ... urns-sour/
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:12 am

Mike Judd wrote:While on the subject , does anyone out there have the knowledge of how Swiss politics work. Although blessed with a small country to manage, they do seem to have stayed out of trouble through the years and reasonably prosperous. The only thing that I have gathered about their politics is that they do have a lot of referendums on any changes, right or wrong. ?

My brother-in-law from my first attempt at marriage moved his family to Geneva and they still live there; as they love the place and the way the country is run. However a current friend is Swiss and says just like everywhere else it has its good and bad points ... much more altruistic attempt at true democracy though and far less self-interest and corruption amongst the 'servants of the people'.

Don't let me get you wound up and into trouble again but they also appear concerned about 'certain matters' as this speaker in the parliament passionately demonstrates.

MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:09 am

Don't worry, I'am not going to be sucked into anything to do with so called Racism when venturing an opinion on any of the many Races of the world. I firmly believe that all humans are born the same as far as having limbs/organs /heart and a brain of some sort, also the right to live in freedom , but there is where it all ends, there are vast differences between us . It's probably best to stick to that old saying "When in Rome". After watching those Videos though can anyone honestly say that the Indian parliamentary style is one of the things we should welcome as part of multiculturalism that we are all suppose to embrace. "Sod it" I did get sucked in.!
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:47 am

Mike Judd wrote:"Sod it" I did get sucked in.!

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter