Do you like cheese and butter?

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Do you like cheese and butter?

Postby MGV12 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-19/new-research-shows-saturated-fat-not-linked-to-heart-disease/5330332

Extract: "Australians are sitting down and lying around so much, experts have doubled the recommended amount of exercise and say we need to get up out of our chairs"

Most especially those "Armchair Experts" on fora :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:53 am

MGV12 wrote: experts have doubled the recommended amount of exercise

It's the "experts" who worry me... the ones that say we are eating too much saturated fats and decrying all the studies that say we are not.
I also noted the comments on the bottom of the page, along with the fact the detractors are the National Heart Foundation.... a charity that has produced no peer reviewed reputable studies of their own, just pamphlets, adds on TV and in newspapers and have the dubious claim of educating doctors. I think they have passed their use by date. They have too much influence with little substance.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Why.gif

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Long linked to obesity and high cholesterol, butter is making a comeback just as a new study suggests it may not be as bad for us as we thought.

As CBS 2’s Alice Gainer reported, it’s hard to imagine eating a baked potato or corn on the cob without butter.

“Butter is better. Butter is delicious, it adds amazing flavor,” said nutritionist Nicolette Pace.

Yet despite how good it tastes, doctors have long told us that butter isn’t good for us because it contains bad fat.

“Saturated fat can increase your triglycerides and that has an association with heart disease,” said cardiologist Dr. Daniel Yadegar.

But now, new research is turning everything we’ve heard about butter on its head.

“It’s a necessary part of our diet,” Pace said.

Researchers from the University of Cambridge in England found butter and other fats like it may not be as bad for us as once thought, and may even have some health benefits, Gainer reported.

“Their conclusion was that increasing saturated fats in our diet does not incur an additional cardiovascular risk,” said Yadegar.

“It has a tremendous amount of nutrients,” Pace said.

Pace said butter is actually rich in vitamins and important fatty acids.

“The brain tissue is 60 percent fat. Without adequate supply of fat, it’s going to suffer,” Pace said. “You’ll have mood problems, you’ll have fatigue.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/07/18/ ... -benefits/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Nobody Seems to Care That Meat and Dairy Are Heating Up the Planet
Written by Katharine Martinko

Despite the fact that livestock production contributes more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transport sector, there is an appalling unwillingness to change eating habits in order to make a difference.

Stop worrying about your car, or the amount of water used to grow avocadoes, or how many whales were killed this year. These issues, as important as they may be, are not going to destroy the planet. Look instead to the contents of your refrigerator. Meat and dairy are the biggest culprits now, and to deny their devastating impact on the planet is to deny climate change.

A new study has just been released by Chatham House in Great Britain and was designed to assess the global public opinion on meat and dairy consumption. What they found is revealed in the name of the study: “Livestock – Climate Change’s Forgotten Sector.”

Researchers found that “recognition of the livestock sector as a significant contributor to climate change is markedly low.”

It is a forgotten sector largely because nobody wants to think about it. With seemingly unlimited access to products that once were considered special treats (i.e. individual Americans ate 7 pounds of cheese in 1970 but now eat 30 pounds per year on average), and easy accessibility to those products in every supermarket at inappropriately low prices, and the fact that meat and dairy products do taste delicious – to most people, at least – nobody wants to pay attention to the facts.

And yet, the facts remain horrifying to those who actually let them sink in. Greenhouse gas emissions from the livestock sector are estimated to account for 14.5 per cent of the global total, more than all emissions from the transport sector. Recent analyses have shown it is unlikely global temperature rises can be kept below two degrees Celsius without a shift in global meat and dairy consumption, but demand for meat and dairy from India and China is estimated to increase by 76 and 65 percent, respectively, by 2050, according to Chatham House.

In his summary of the report, James McWilliams gives more reasons why livestock is damaging:

“Livestock is the world’s single largest source of global methane and nitrous oxide emissions—emissions that are far more potent and enduring than carbon dioxide. Beef and dairy products deserve the lion’s share of the blame, accounting for 65 percent of the greenhouse gas emissions deriving from livestock—the emissions per unit of protein of beef are 150 times higher than that for soy… None of this even wades into the issue of water.”

McWilliams points out that even the grass-fed, pasture-raised ideals touted by food writers, locavores, and chefs don’t do anything to solve the problem. In fact, these production methods have a higher number of greenhouse gas emissions than the inhumane, intensive farming methods.

What should be a simple and straightforward solution to a very serious problem – “stop eating meat and dairy” – is made far more complicated by our societal attachment to foods as cultural traditions and our general sense of entitlement toward food. We residents of North American and Europe, in particular, assume we can eat anything we want, whenever we want it, irrespective of the staggering damage it may cause the planet.

That has to change.

Fortunately the Chatham Report found that people in developing countries such as Brazil, India, and China were far more concerned about the connection between meat, dairy, and climate change, once they were made aware of it, and indicated a greater willingness to change their eating habits. Ideally, North Americans will follow their example, although it seems unlikely.

http://www.care2.com/causes/nobody-seem ... lanet.html

http://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/files ... lesley.pdf

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:19 am

MGV12 wrote:Nobody Seems to Care That Meat and Dairy Are Heating Up the Planet

I'm impressed MGV12, Chatham House, the most exclusive, expensive PR firm in England has finally nailed the culprit in their "study"..... and they even managed to blame the fat overweight Americans in doing so and lay the blame on cheese. This is what deep thinking think tanks are all about. I bet it's just a ploy to introduce a "Cow Fart Tax" to farmers. It's the sort of stuff they do. It's a pity all their senior researchers are not scientists but mostly lawyers, politicians and journalists (speech writers).
Next, to give credibility, they'll name themselves a University or College and hand out Doctorates and Professorships.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Nobody Seems to Care That Meat and Dairy Are Heating Up the Planet

I'm impressed MGV12, Chatham House, the most exclusive, expensive PR firm in England has finally nailed the culprit in their "study"..... and they even managed to blame the fat overweight Americans in doing so and lay the blame on cheese. This is what deep thinking think tanks are all about. I bet it's just a ploy to introduce a "Cow Fart Tax" to farmers. It's the sort of stuff they do. It's a pity all their senior researchers are not scientists but mostly lawyers, politicians and journalists (speech writers).
Next, to give credibility, they'll name themselves a University or College and hand out Doctorates and Professorships.

You may be correct on the "Cow Fart Tax" as bovine exhaust emissions emerge in gigantic volumes day in day out .... but to assess the tax due they would need a fart-flow meter installed in each cow. :( :lol: If however it was introduced then farmers apparently have alternatives [other than old-fashioned grass!] to the cheap but gassy corn and soy many currently feed to their herds ... for example http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/us/05 ... wanted=all http://www.dw.de/farmers-fight-cow-fart ... a-16702813 http://www.ibtimes.com/cow-farts-have-l ... ge-1487502

Chatham House is highly rated by 'others' [ http://www.thinktankwatch.com/2014/01/2 ... sheet.html ] and I didn't notice them saying it was a peer-reviewed scientific study ... merely an investigation "designed to assess the global public opinion on meat and dairy consumption" intended to raise awareness.

Cow fart as carbon cycle model.png

On-the-other-side-of-the-climate-fence.jpg

cows_vegetarians_600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:17 pm

MGV12 wrote:You may be correct on the "Cow Fart Tax" as bovine exhaust emissions emerge in gigantic volumes day in day out .... but to assess the tax due they would need a fart-flow meter installed in each cow.

Or, there is a deeper more sinister plot by "governments" to stop grass fed beef and make them all grain fed as people find out how harmful all that margarine (soy) actually is and they think putting it through a cow will change all that.
Personally I think camels are to blame, that's why Australia exports all their camels to the "towel head" countries (can I use towel head, or should it be rag head?).
Or is this the start of a whole new industry that advertise; All our cattle produce your electricity and power your cars as a major by-product to milk, cheese and butter.
I recall a number of those "learned" think tanks were given "Lessons Learnt - Vietnam" produced by a number of DODs just after Vietnam was finally finished. Just look what happened, they advised the next lot of Presidents, Prime Ministers to do exactly the same all over again in Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq and with the same stupid mistakes. Deep thinkers indeed. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:32 pm

RR, think you should go with convention and say "rag head"
Katharine Martinko the writer is a self confessed tree hugger and vegetarian. Do you think that would cloud her judgment?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:32 am

BKKBILL wrote:Katharine Martinko the writer is a self confessed tree hugger and vegetarian. Do you think that would cloud her judgment?

Bill,
I like tree huggers and as long as vegetarians don't try and force their opinion down my throat every second day in the Bangkok Post with their so-called scientific studies and their weird lifestyles I can just tolerate them, as long as they don't wish to converse with me, because normally their range of communication is limited.
Why is it that all the crazies work for "think tanks"? I think they should rethink that.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:30 am

Food fat warnings 'should not have been introduced'

Official warnings against the consumption of saturated fats are based on flawed data and should not have been introduced, claims new research

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... duced.html

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:And still they argue: http://news.sciencemag.org/health/2014/ ... rated-fats

"By Kai Kupferschmidt
24 March 2014 3:15 pm"

No doubt they will continue to argue ... as that is what they do.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 03, 2015 3:08 pm

MGV12 wrote:No doubt they will continue to argue ... as that is what they do.

Of course you must ask the question, who pays for them to argue? And then you have to ask yourself why universities have so few ethics that a company will dictate what they want found in a study. Rather like Monsanto suing farmers after their GM product has blown onto the farmers land, claiming they stole it, and then the courts agreeing the farmers should pay for that "priviledge" of having their previously untainted crop ruined.
Or the claim, with no scientific study conclusion, that cooking food is harmful and removes all the essential viatamins and minerals. So does that mean we stop pasturising milk? Or do we eat our steaks raw? Just cut its horns off, wipe its arse and stick it on the plate. And what of potatoes, just wash them under the tap?
Next they'll want us to refuse to eat at Heston Blumenthal's or Gordon Ramsay's restaurants because they cook their food.
Me thinks they have been watching the chief boy scout's "survival" movies, but have forgotten he was caught staying at a motel overnight. He really does eat some stupid "food" at times, especially when there is an abundance of real ticker under his nose. I blame his "survival experts". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55taj3NR8WA
Roger Ramjet

Previous

Return to Friendly Banter