How well does your brain function?

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:being American we can only assume that any violation to our anal area had to be done by aliens(

Even those living in LA?

are you referring to the ordinary garden variety aliens or the space faring ones. :wink:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 pm

sirineou wrote:
MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:being American we can only assume that any violation to our anal area had to be done by aliens(

Even those living in LA?

are you referring to the ordinary garden variety aliens or the space faring ones. :wink:

Please enlighten those of us who are not acquainted with the difference.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Could be a beneficial implant for some ...

IBM produces first 'brain chips'

IBM has developed a microprocessor which it claims comes closer than ever to replicating the human brain.

The system is capable of "rewiring" its connections as it encounters new information, similar to the way biological synapses work.

Researchers believe that by replicating that feature, the technology could start to learn.

Cognitive computers may eventually be used for understanding human behaviour as well as environmental monitoring.

Dharmendra Modha, IBM's project leader, explained that they were trying to recreate aspects of the mind such as emotion, perception, sensation and cognition by "reverse engineering the brain."

The SyNAPSE system uses two prototype "neurosynaptic computing chips". Both have 256 computational cores, which the scientists described as the electronic equivalent of neurons.

One chip has 262,144 programmable synapses, while the other contains 65,536 learning synapses.

Man machine

In humans and animals, synaptic connections between brain cells physically connect themselves depending on our experience of the world. The process of learning is essentially the forming and strengthening of connections.

A machine cannot solder and de-solder its electrical tracks. However, it can simulate such a system by "turning up the volume" on important input signals, and paying less attention to others.

IBM has not released exact details of how its SyNAPSE processor works, but Dr Richard Cooper, a reader in cognitive science at Birkbeck, University of London said that it likely replicated physical connections using a "virtual machine".

Instead of stronger and weaker links, such a system would simply remember how much "attention" to pay to each signal and alter that depending on new experiences.
Artist impression of neurons connecting IBM's processor replicates the synaptic connections between neurons found in the brain

"Part of the trick is the learning algorithm - how should you turn those volumes up and down," said Dr Cooper.

"There's a a whole bunch of tasks that can be done just with a relatively simple system like that such as associative memory. When we see a cat we might think of a mouse."

Some future-gazers in the cognitive computing world have speculated that the technology will reach a tipping point where machine consciousness is possible.

However, Dr Mark Bishop, professor of cognitive computing at Goldsmiths, was more cautious.

"[I] understand cognition to be something over and above a process simulated by the execution of mere computations, [and] see such claims as verging on the magical," he said.

IBM's work on the SyNAPSE project continues and the company, along with its academic partners, has just been awarded $21m (£12.7m) by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-14574747

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:33 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Please enlighten those of us who are not acquainted with the difference.

Ordinary garden variety ones work as gardeners and such, and tend not to engage in mind control or anal probing much.
where the other type does not. and does.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Two Berries Delay Brain Aging Two-and-a-Half Years

Berries.jpg

A Harvard study published in the Annals of Neurology indicates that eating a diet high in blueberries and strawberries can slow brain aging and cognitive decline by up to two and a half years.

Dr. Elizabeth Devore and her team of researchers at Harvard Medical School analyzed data from the lengthy Nurses’ Health Study in 1976. Questionnaires were completed every four years since 1980 to assess the frequency of berry intake and the intake of 31 different phytonutrients called flavonoids. In 16,010 participants over the age of 70 between 1995 and 2001, cognitive function was tested every two years.

The researchers found that those participants who consumed a high amount of blueberries or strawberries had slower decline in cognitive function test scores during the follow-up period than those whose intake of these fruits was lower. The results were an average delay in cognitive decline due to aging of up to 2-and-a-half years.

Both blueberries and strawberries are excellent sources of flavonoids, which reduce inflammation. This is possibly the mechanism that is causing the positive brain health effects. The same study also found that a high intake of anthocyanidins and total flavonoids were also linked to the beneficial cognitive effects.

Anthocyanidins are a type of flavonoids responsible for the red, blue, or purple colors in berries and other foods. While the effect of consumption of other anthocyanidin and flavonoid-rich foods was not assessed as part of this study, it is likely that they will have similar brain protective effects. Other sources of anthocyanidins and flavonoids include: blueberries, cherries, cranberries, grapes, raspberries, and strawberries and to a lesser extent in almonds, apples, cocoa, and peanuts.

Other research shows that they decrease free radical activity in and between brain cells. They also inhibit the production of histamine, making them a natural anti-histamine without the drowsy side effects of many pharmaceuticals. Numerous studies show that anthocyanidins have anticancer and antitumor activity, and one study concluded that anthocyanidins may demonstrate chemotherapeutic activity against breast cancer.

When it comes to heart disease, anthocyanidins help reduce high blood pressure and improve the body’s ability to metabolize fat. In tests on rabbits, anthocyanidins demonstrated significant reduction in the development of atherosclerosis. They also appeared to protect against heart attacks linked to certain asthma drugs. They even have stronger antioxidant properties than either vitamins C or E.

Copyright Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/two-be ... tml?page=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby otis-a » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:37 pm

Does anyone know what a ,,brainfart,, is?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm

otis-a wrote:Does anyone know what a ,,brainfart,, is?

I suggest you don't go too near the brainfarter just in case it's really smelly. You have been warned.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:42 pm

Otis,
otis-a wrote:Does anyone know what a ,,brainfart,, is?

A brainfart is when the brain almost craps itself, but not quite and is caused by pressure on the regulators in the brain. In other words the brain shuts itself down before it regurgitates or spews forth crap. Brainfarting is commonplace all over the world and at times contagious. IE Harry said the earth is square, but I know it's oblong. In both cases the brain farted.
There are even worse symptoms where people believe in things that have never been proven: IE John knows all about medicine, he's a homeopath. In this case the brain again farted, because John knows little about medicine because he is a homeopath.
Brainfarts do not smell, instead they dissipate to the gut where they eventually go through the small and large intestine and come out of the anus. Hence the saying "George is an idiot, his farts are the most intelligent thing about him. And an old army axiom goes that officers talk s**t, or in this case when they fart, all the sergeants and corporals yell "Keep calling Sir, we'll find you".
This is an alternative explanation.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:There are even worse symptoms where people believe in things that have never been proven: IE John knows all about medicine, he's a homeopath. In this case the brain again farted, because John knows little about medicine because he is a homeopath.

Wikipedia [or more accurately those who posted this explanation] put forward a different opinion:

"A brain fart (may be jocularly derived from "brain infarction")[1] is slang for a special kind of abnormal brain activity which results in human error while performing a repetitive task,[2][3] or more generally denoting a degree of mental laxity or any task-related forgetfulness, such as forgetting how to hold a fork. Tom Eichele, a neuroscientist at the University of Bergen in Norway, was part of an international team of researchers who identified activity detectable in brain scans up to 30 seconds before a mistake, which could be referred to as a brain fart, occurs. The researchers suspect the abnormal behavior is the result of the brain attempting to save effort on a task by entering a more restful state'. The scientists detailed their findings on 21 April 2008 online in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The scientific term they gave the phenomenon is "maladaptive brain activity change."[4]

The term is typically employed in the United States[5] to indicate a regrettable and poorly thought out choice of action. According to Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Denis Gauthier a brain fart occurs when one "momentarily loses his sense of logic…and does something 'dumb'."[6]

A further clarification comes from investigative journalist Louie Pierson, who proffers that while accidents are preventable, "brain farts are unpredictable, unpreventable and universal", and advances the theory that Mother Nature had "added the unfathomable minor irritant of the brain fart as a failsafe backup."[7]

The derivation of the term may be related to the term "brain infarction," however a more likely etiology is the direct comparison of the episode of forgetfulness escaping one's brain without check to the accidental production of flatus"

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Well well, I have just learned something and I feel some flatulence coming on.

Flatulence:
Noun 1. Yes, we all know that one
Noun 2. pompously embellished language
turgidity, turgidness
long-windedness, prolixity, prolixness, wordiness, windiness - boring verbosity
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 pm

What better place to post this snippet: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/318235/defence-minister-aims-to-curb-rising-number-of-generals
I wonder if there's an ex bookmaker here who will offer odds on 1. A coup 2. An assassination 3. Another coup 4. Both/all of these.

<Link activated - mod>
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:18 am

"Although we think we’re doing several things at once, multitasking, this is a powerful and diabolical illusion. Earl Miller, a neuroscientist at MIT and one of the world experts on divided attention, says that our brains are “not wired to multitask well… When people think they’re multitasking, they’re actually just switching from one task to another very rapidly. And every time they do, there’s a cognitive cost in doing so.” So we’re not actually keeping a lot of balls in the air like an expert juggler; we’re more like a bad amateur plate spinner, frantically switching from one task to another, ignoring the one that is not right in front of us but worried it will come crashing down any minute. Even though we think we’re getting a lot done, ironically, multitasking makes us demonstrably less efficient."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015 ... n-overload

Women are allegedly good at multitasking but why do they feel the need to?
Is it because .... if you do several things at the same time you might do one correctly? :wink:

Erroneously-related addendum:

My wife was preparing lunch today when she asked, "Sweetheart, where's the cheese grater?"

"Some would say France, others would say England," I replied.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm not going to comment about this one otherwise I might be considered an enemy of the state. http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... ypecate=06 :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I'm not going to comment about this one otherwise I might be considered an enemy of the state. http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.ph ... ypecate=06 :lol: :lol:

Would you think a westerner could pull-off the same trick next time they get stopped for a breath test -- Nah! - don't think that would work out successfully.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Ians wrote:Would you think a westerner could pull-off the same trick next time they get stopped for a breath test --

I couldn't believe anyone would be that stupid to try even.
I can imagine the NSW Police Commissioner refusing to take a breath test to a Highway Patrol officer and finding his stupid arse in gaol. Words like dumb bastard and even worse came to mind. But if it were me I'd get out of the car and brace them up, correct their salutes, shake their hands with a 1,000 baht note and drive off.....what I wouldn't do is tell them I was the Police Chief, refuse to obey the law, then castigate them in the morning.......I bet he was drunk as well. TIT.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter