How well does your brain function?

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:29 pm

sirineou wrote:
Yes but cars can not be used as concealed weapons,


I would suggest that a car that suddenly swerves off the road into a bus queue is very much a concealed weapon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

A person gets drunk or drugged-up and walks up to a queue of persons waiting for a bus, where they stab some to death with a knife or shoot them with a gun. Another person, in the same condition, drives a vehicle into that bus queue and kills the same number of innocent folk. VERY different outcome in the Court of Law ... why should that be the case?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:
Yes but cars can not be used as concealed weapons,


I would suggest that a car that suddenly swerves off the road into a bus queue is very much a concealed weapon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

A person gets drunk or drugged-up and walks up to a queue of persons waiting for a bus, where they stab some to death with a knife or shoot them with a gun. Another person, in the same condition, drives a vehicle into that bus queue and kills the same number of innocent folk. VERY different outcome in the Court of Law ... why should that be the case?


Why would you not want to talk about my bright cigarette packaging Idea , or my universal warning labeling suggestion, and want to compare cars to guns?

Guns are manufactured for the express purpose of killing, where cars are manufactured for the purpose of transportation.
Any one committing murder , using anything as a weapon, regardless if it is a gun a knife, a car, or a hit over the head with a bawling trophy , should be prosecuted for the crime, and not the choice of the weapon.
In any prosecution there are mitigating circumstances,
I will leave it up to you to decide what those might be in the instance of getting drunk and killing some people with your car as opposed to buying a gun a committing premeditated murder.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 pm

sirineou wrote:
MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:
Yes but cars can not be used as concealed weapons,


I would suggest that a car that suddenly swerves off the road into a bus queue is very much a concealed weapon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_homicide

A person gets drunk or drugged-up and walks up to a queue of persons waiting for a bus, where they stab some to death with a knife or shoot them with a gun. Another person, in the same condition, drives a vehicle into that bus queue and kills the same number of innocent folk. VERY different outcome in the Court of Law ... why should that be the case?


Why would you not want to talk about my bright cigarette packaging Idea , or my universal warning labeling suggestion, and want to compare cars to guns?

Guns are manufactured for the express purpose of killing, where cars are manufactured for the purpose of transportation.
Any one committing murder , using anything as a weapon, regardless if it is a gun a knife, a car, or a hit over the head with a bawling trophy , should be prosecuted for the crime, and not the choice of the weapon.
In any prosecution there are mitigating circumstances,
I will leave it up to you to decide what those might be in the instance of getting drunk and killing some people with your car as opposed to buying a gun a committing premeditated murder.


Ah now ... premeditation does make a difference. Should we differentiate between conscious and subconscious premeditation? If you are drunk or under the influence of drugs are you any less responsible ... if when not so affected you know that driving a car into a bus queue is not socially acceptable? Indeed could anyone who decides to kill another be classed as of diminished responsibility ... as it's well known to be against the law[s].

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:52 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Ah now ... premeditation does make a difference. Should we differentiate between conscious and subconscious premeditation? If you are drunk or under the influence of drugs are you any less responsible ... if when not so affected you know that driving a car into a bus queue is not socially acceptable? Indeed could anyone who decides to kill another be classed as of diminished responsibility ... as it's well known to be against the law[s].


I don't believe there is such a thing as subconscious premeditation, these are two diametrically opposed terms.(in order that you premeditate first you need to meditate) something that I can't believe can be done subconsciously.
If you are drunk or under the influence of drugs are you any less responsible

Less responsible than what?
clearly there are situations where you actions are less responsible while under the influence than when clear minded.
Indeed could anyone who decides to kill another be classed as of diminished responsibility

The operative word here is "decides"
.. as it's well known to be against the law

well known while sober, while under the influence one can claim diminished capacity.While that might not excuse the action, it might decrease the degree of culpability.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby payebacs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 am

Back on the subject of evolution if I may the thing to remember RR, sirineou etc is that humans mostly live very long these days.. okay smoking kills many but only later in life once they've had kids already. In fact humans have designed society in such as way as to protect the weak. And there are plenty of women to go around. There's not one male in each village who won't allow other males to mate. Okay there'll always be competition in the bar and in the work place where one good looking smart funny idiot might fancy his chances at reproduction the most but he doesn't come swinging down from the ceiling on honeymoon night to disturb some computer geek who met his match in an equally computer geekish woman. They are reproducing just as fast. We've got the police for that. Our weak are protected and rushed to hospital in fact by the strong to receive at times life saving treatment sometimes from childless genuises. And this while many of our 'strongest' specimens are walking the earth as soldiers being lost to landmines and so forth so our evolution is not selectively killing off anyone in particular. And all but the very severly impaired are finding it hard to reproduce or to survive. Humans have evolved to stand up straight that's about it and will aparantly one day have longer fingers due to needing to type on computer keyboards or so I'm told but this, if it does remain important, won't be due to people with shorter fingers dying off. They will all still be here short fingers and long fingers, but their kids and their kids and their kids will start to have longer fingers due to 'the comfort' of it. It's not a requisite for life. Just as, if it turns out to be more convenient to walk on all fours one day, in a cramped up space ship say, we'll just start doing that again, over time. And not because the standing up gene will have died off, but because we can think and choose how we would like to behave and then over time adapt out bodies in a manner most conducive to that behaviour. So I would say and I'm not an authority on the subject of course but I would say that our evolution is more to do with culture and fashion, the industrial revolution, IT, electronics, gadgets, whatever, pop music, swearing. Genetics? Well, I think there'll be the same mix and match of people on earth in a thousand years time as there are now unless of course there's a flood and only the very best of swimmers with web type feet can survive which will in all liklihood not boil down to swimming and to genetics at all but now to at this advanced stage of our evolution to learnt skills like 'boat building' and to 'having friends' with a nuclear fallout fascility clearance pass should the need arise for example. And to money although that might count for less in such an extreme situation. Things like that. And then we're going to be talking about a major cull all at once not evolution-like in dribs and drabs over time. And the survivors in such an instance would probably amount to just as much a mix and match of body types as we have now unless of course a special nuclear holocast survival group is designed by someone like hitler in which case it''ll be all about blonde hair and blue eyes. Not exactly E.T.
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
User avatar
payebacs
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:51 am

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:51 am

payebacs wrote:Back on the subject of evolution if I may the thing to remember RR, sirineou etc is that humans mostly live very long these days.. okay smoking kills many but only later in life once they've had kids already. In fact humans have designed society in such as way as to protect the weak.

I made a similar point when I posted the clip from the very funny movie IDIOCRACY where the intelligent have small families where the stupid breed like rabbits.

And there are plenty of women to go around.

speak for your self, :lol: but seriously, there might be plenty of women around to reproduce with, but we have all seen the not very attractive guy walking around with some hideous overweight creature and wondered, "how, in the world is he hitting that" .
It can't be by choice. you cant mean that he had his choice of women, and he chose that.
In reproduction it takes two to tango, and when you compromise you choice of mate, you also compromise your genetic outcome.


There's not one male in each village who won't allow other males to mate.

you obviously have not met my cousin Bob :lol:

I get your point,
If I understand you correctly, natural selection is no longer the only driving factor in evolution
. Let's say if there is an increase of UV rays will we develop thicker skin over time, or will we manufacture a protective cream or underground habitation?
But there are things in nature that we cant control such as viruses, so we see some classic examples of natural selection in humans involve genetic variants that increase resistance to malaria, such as sickle-cell anemia. etc.
So for humans, evolution has become a much more complicated process than in lesser animals, Natural selection is not the only driving factor. Social factors also play a large part.
If you would do a search on Google "does nature still drive human evolution?" you will get a number of interesting articles on the subject.

The question now is:is the increased load of information and multitasking rewiring our brain , and is such a rewiring the next step in human evolution.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:57 am

sirineou and payebacs,
Perhaps we are looking in the wrong direction, because what I found is that scientists seem to disagree with each other on what will happen and they cannot even agree on a "model". I looked at "evolution, the next step" and it looked like a bun fight.
sirineou wrote:I made a similar point when I posted the clip from the very funny movie IDIOCRACY where the intelligent have small families where the stupid breed like rabbits.

There is a problem with that theory. Were the geeks from a Bubba family? You see people don't get to pick their parents.
I think it's far more complex than we think and I don't think the outer body will change much. I think the brain will change its functions and the body will adapt to certain diseases and develop its own anti bodies, as it has slowly over the years and in later years with the help of drugs.
If you recall we are always being warned that the body becomes resistant to certain drugs, I think that is where the body will change; by becoming resistant to not only certain drugs, but also diseases. Which it has been doing rather rapidly in the last 50 years.
The functions of the brain will change as well, but as scientists and doctors know so little about the functions of the brain I think it will take hundreds of years.
If you look into the night's sky at all the stars, then join them all together, it will give you an idea on the scope of the human brain. Don't forget all the stars you can't see either.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5250
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:37 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:sirineou and payebacs,
Perhaps we are looking in the wrong direction, because what I found is that scientists seem to disagree with each other on what will happen and they cannot even agree on a "model". I looked at "evolution, the next step" and it looked like a bun fight.
sirineou wrote:I made a similar point when I posted the clip from the very funny movie IDIOCRACY where the intelligent have small families where the stupid breed like rabbits.

There is a problem with that theory. Were the geeks from a Bubba family? You see people don't get to pick their parents.
I think it's far more complex than we think and I don't think the outer body will change much. I think the brain will change its functions and the body will adapt to certain diseases and develop its own anti bodies, as it has slowly over the years and in later years with the help of drugs.
If you recall we are always being warned that the body becomes resistant to certain drugs, I think that is where the body will change; by becoming resistant to not only certain drugs, but also diseases. Which it has been doing rather rapidly in the last 50 years.
The functions of the brain will change as well, but as scientists and doctors know so little about the functions of the brain I think it will take hundreds of years.
If you look into the night's sky at all the stars, then join them all together, it will give you an idea on the scope of the human brain. Don't forget all the stars you can't see either.

I agree we are much greater than the sum of our components, and as I said before human evolution is much more complex than in the lower animals.We are not only subject to natural selection we bring our own variable to the table.
it is a case of Nature and nurture.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 am

geordie wrote:Thailand take some beating on health warnings the pictures are disgusting they put on their packets of cigarettes

Seems Australia like them so much they have made some for those over taxed individuals still buying the carcinogens.

More @

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/30 ... lain-packs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am

sirineou wrote:
I don't believe there is such a thing as subconscious premeditation


So who programmes your subconscious mind then ... Aliens?

Did the Anal Probe make your eyes water?


“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:
I don't believe there is such a thing as subconscious premeditation


So who programmes your subconscious mind then ... Aliens?

In your case, Yes!! Obviously
.. not me though , I am not stupid, 8)
I even wear my aluminum foil hat in bed, because anyone who knows anything knows that , that's where the Aliens do most of their subconscious mind programming,and anal probing. More on my butt plug, protective devise in an other post. :mrgreen:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:33 pm

sirineou wrote:In your case, Yes!! Obviously .


Never been one for seconds so I will refrain from the 'up yours' comment.

I understand that a significant [or is that insignificant] percentage of Americans claim to have been abducted by aliens ... do you have the figures?

Never heard of anyone from Thailand, or China, or Ireland [well maybe Ireland], or Norway, or Japan [well maybe Japan] or New Zealand ... yawn ... claiming to have been abducted by Aliens ... wonder why that is.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:In your case, Yes!! Obviously .


Never been one for seconds so I will refrain from the 'up yours' comment.

I understand that a significant [or is that insignificant] percentage of Americans claim to have been abducted by aliens ... do you have the figures?

Never heard of anyone from Thailand, or China, or Ireland [well maybe Ireland], or Norway, or Japan [well maybe Japan] or New Zealand ... yawn ... claiming to have been abducted by Aliens ... wonder why that is.

It's a perceptual problem,
being American we can only assume that any violation to our anal area had to be done by aliens, where the rest of the world would autocratically blame the Americans. :(
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:59 pm

sirineou wrote:being American we can only assume that any violation to our anal area had to be done by aliens(


Even those living in LA?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: How well does your brain function?

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:13 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:being American we can only assume that any violation to our anal area had to be done by aliens(


Even those living in LA?

Really did you have to ask.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest