Understanding [or misunderstanding] Australians

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Understanding [or misunderstanding] Australians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 15, 2016 5:30 pm

MGV12 wrote:The UK are obliged to make an entry but British singers with talent do all they can to avoid being picked! The only people in the UK who know who 'Joe & Jake' are would be their family

So you say, but when were you last living in England (as a citizen). Bit like the ginger nut snap taking over Top Gear, nobody had heard or seen him before that either. You could have at least deported Clarkson, Hammond and May to Australia, we like them, they have talent, even though Clarkson is a bit of a larrikin at times and May can't hold his liquor and Hammond doesn't like the outback or camping.
But then that's the bloody Poms for you.........no wonder you left. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:The UK are obliged to make an entry but British singers with talent do all they can to avoid being picked! The only people in the UK who know who 'Joe & Jake' are would be their family

So you say, but when were you last living in England (as a citizen). Bit like the ginger nut snap taking over Top Gear, nobody had heard or seen him before that either. You could have at least deported Clarkson, Hammond and May to Australia, we like them, they have talent, even though Clarkson is a bit of a larrikin at times and May can't hold his liquor and Hammond doesn't like the outback or camping.
But then that's the bloody Poms for you.........no wonder you left. :lol: :lol:

You ever heard Clarkson sing?

Australia has turned out some very good singers [not just from the casts of soaps] but the following list dries up a bit quick when they get to Russell Crowe. Russell Crowe? Very good actor but .....

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid ... an+singers

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 15, 2016 7:59 pm

MGV12 wrote:You ever heard Clarkson sing?

Australia has turned out some very good singers [not just from the casts of soaps] but the following list dries up a bit quick when they get to Russell Crowe. Russell Crowe? Very good actor but .....

Not the best reference you could find, they left out John Schumann from Redgum and Slim Dusty, but they did put in some oldies as well J O'Keefe and a few more.
No, I have not heard Clarkson sing, but by all accounts the band they have is a bit third rate until they get a few tinnies under their belt, and look at their audience, a bloody BBC film crew. But Clarkson has other talents, like being the best car presenter in the world, bar Hammond and May.
I never knew Russell Crowe could sing, unless it was Men of Harlech during Zulu, but I thought he was a Gladiator and I don't recall him in Zulu at all.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 pm

What happened to girl power?

Australia's national women's soccer team the Matildas lose 7-0 to an under FIFTEENS boys' side

Sad.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rm-up.html

Smile RR ... it can only get better ... maybe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 26, 2016 10:07 pm

MGV12 wrote:Smile RR ... it can only get better ... maybe

If you can just caste your mind back a few months ago, the Matildas were just a part time unpaid soccer team struggling with Soccer Australia to pay them, let them train full time and get that all important practice they needed in. Some of it happened, some of it didn't. I'm disappointed in the Institute of Sport in Canberra for not laying the law down. It took some not too well known Aussie companies to come to the rescue, but way too late.
I still have the utmost respect for the Matildas and think they will bounce back. Try not being paid for 6 months and see how enthusiastic you become.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:58 pm

World ranking in cricket is a farce ... as it is in many other sports:

Sri Lanka are currently two places above England.

The English pitches may not suit the Sri Lankan team but this series has all the makings of an England team facing a 'celebrity' eleven.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKP90206

Neither does history appear to justify their superior ranking:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/slveng/cont ... 45271.html

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 29, 2016 8:11 pm

MGV12 wrote:World ranking in cricket is a farce ... as it is in many other sports:

I think you have placed this in the wrong thread. Australia understands all too well the world ranking.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sun May 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:World ranking in cricket is a farce ... as it is in many other sports:

I think you have placed this in the wrong thread. Australia understands all too well the world ranking.

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:47 pm

The tongue-in-cheek figure of speech is used to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun May 29, 2016 10:01 pm

MGV12 wrote:The tongue-in-cheek figure of speech is used to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value.

You won't find one Australian to disagree with you there, regarding the Pom's cricket team. It is rather a poor joke at the moment.....along with its pitches. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Cartoon: Planet of Forbidden Prime Ministers

On a far-off planet that's very much like Australia, strange creatures engage in a brutal battle for political domination, in this satirical cartoon from illustrator Laurent Sanguinetti.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36680838

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:09 pm

This guy could almost be Australian:

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:12 am

Australian man kills friend while posing with shotgun

An Australian man who fatally shot his friend with a sawn-off shotgun as they posed for a photograph in a motel room has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36971995

MGV12

Postby Ians » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:07 pm

MGV12 wrote:Australian man kills friend while posing with shotgun

An Australian man who fatally shot his friend with a sawn-off shotgun as they posed for a photograph in a motel room has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

Aussie, don't think so seeing as how he was trying to hightail it to Macedonia.
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Ians wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Australian man kills friend while posing with shotgun

Aussie, don't think so seeing as how he was trying to hightail it to Macedonia.

Apologies ... briefly forgetting that all current-day Australians are indigenous people. :wink:

MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter