Understanding [or misunderstanding] Australians

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Understanding [or misunderstanding] Australians

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:26 am

Awright cobber?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Understanding Australians

Postby Nawty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Nothing to understand....common sense really.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby sirineou » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:53 am

I am beginning to worry my self , cause I understood every word.
and what's worst I agree
especially the "stephaan" part
and if you don't like it
Harden the F#@% Up :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:21 pm

And then there are those Aussie girls. :shock: :roll: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... train.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:33 pm

BKKBILL wrote:And then there are those Aussie girls. :shock: :roll: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... train.html

Looks like they've overdone it with the sherry again mate ... will those Aussies never learn? :P

Bet her mum would be real proud though :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:34 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Looks like they've overdone it with the sherry again mate ...

Got to get me one of those tea shirts? :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 am

Trying to emulate his pal Skippy no doubt:

Bouncing scooter thief caught in mid-air after crash

Updated Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:01pm AEDT
Map: Geraldton 6530

A teenager was caught in mid-air after he jumped over a fence to escape pursuing police and landed on a trampoline.

Police in the Western Australia city of Geraldton say the lucky catch came after the 17-year-old stole a scooter.

The scooter crashed as he tried to mount a kerb.

Police say the teenager then fled, jumped a fence and landed on the trampoline on the other side.

Sergeant Grant Rosman says the boy bounced back into the air, where police were able to catch him and pull him back over the fence.

"I think it was one of those situations where you probably couldn't repeat if you tried to," he said.

"It was just fortunate for the police - but not for him.

"Everyone was positioned correctly there and he bounced straight back into their arms."

The 17-year-old has been charged with seven offences, including drink driving and not wearing a helmet.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-14/s ... section=wa

"Everyone was positioned correctly there and he bounced straight back into their arms." Therefore suggesting that they anticipated this might happen :roll: :lol:

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 am

"Budgie smuggler"

You do know how small a budgie is .. right?

Just attempting to comprehend ............

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:31 am

This is doing the rounds by email:

Remus Rudd

No matter what side of the political fence you're on, THIS is FUNNY and VERY telling! It just all depends on how you look at the same things.

Judy Rudd an amateur genealogy researcher in south east Queensland , was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that ex-Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's great-great uncle, Remus Rudd, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Melbourne in 1889. Both Judy and Kevin Rudd share this common ancestor.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows at the Melbourne Jail.

R1.jpeg

On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription:

'Remus Rudd horse thief, sent to Melbourne Jail 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Melbourne-Geelong train six times.

Caught by Victoria Police Force, convicted and hanged in 1889.'

So Judy recently e-mailed ex-Prime Minister Rudd for information about their great-great uncle, Remus Rudd.

R2.jpeg

Believe it or not, Kevin Rudd's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:

"Remus Rudd was famous in Victoria during the mid to late 1800s. His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Melbourne-Geelong Railroad..

Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad.

In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the Victoria Police Force. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honour when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."

NOW That's how it's done, Folks. If you can spin/lie like this, you might have a brilliant political future ahead of you. This is to show you what is wrong with our system/thinking today!!! jwh

The lengths folk will go to in order to try and tarnish the name of a fine upstanding Australian :P

It is of course [some might say unfortunately!] a HOAX

"The claims in the message are false. Kevin Rudd has no such ancestor and no such "political spin" reply was ever sent. In fact, the message is just one more version of an old joke that has been used to target several public figures in the United States and Canada. The condemned man shown in the gallows photograph, is Tom "Black Jack" Ketchum, a murderer and train robber who was hanged in Clayton, New Mexico in April 1901. "

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/remus-rudd-h ... hoax.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:44 pm

MGV12,
What a pity they posted the wrong photo of Remus being hung, but any person having a little knowledge of Old Melbourne Gaol (then buried at Pentridge Prison) would know that it's built out of stone, with a slate roof. If they had made it Sydney's Long Bay Gaol (a complex of five prisons) they would have also been wrong, as all hangings were done inside the Central Industrial Prison's 4 wing.....however, an Australian politician with those sort of relatives would be extremely happy to admit it, after all we have a whole town (Glenrowan) aspiring to be relatives of Ned Kelly or his gang.
A fine piece of investigative reporting by another Rupert Murdoch newspaper.
I'm still laughing.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:MGV12,
What a pity they posted the wrong photo of Remus being hung, but any person having a little knowledge of Old Melbourne Gaol (then buried at Pentridge Prison) would know that it's built out of stone, with a slate roof. If they had made it Sydney's Long Bay Gaol (a complex of five prisons) they would have also been wrong, as all hangings were done inside the Central Industrial Prison's 4 wing.....however, an Australian politician with those sort of relatives would be extremely happy to admit it, after all we have a whole town (Glenrowan) aspiring to be relatives of Ned Kelly or his gang.
A fine piece of investigative reporting by another Rupert Murdoch newspaper.
I'm still laughing.

I knew edification would be forthcoming from your direction RR ... maybe one day they will employ investigative reporters instead of journalists; using the latter term lightly of course. Unlikely though as they probably would have to pay more and 'the masses' aren't really interested in the facts anymore. They have been force-fed sensationalism [and several other 'ism's] for so long that's all they want.

Moment off-topic but related: Back in the day when fish fingers were first invented they were a sort of beige colour. Then one brand appeared in a very appealing shade of yellow ... sales of that brand rocketed and so every other producer followed suit. Turns out the yellow was an artificial colouring [E-102 Tartrazine] and this was one the first to be associated with allergic reaction and specifically hyperactivity in some children. When the producers were challenged as to why they used this substance the short answer was "We are giving the public what they want!" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartrazine

MGV12

Postby Nawty » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm

My great great great great grandfather won a trip from ireland to Oz.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Nawty wrote:My great great great great grandfather won a trip from ireland to Oz.

Seems back then pinching a loaf of bread would get you that trip. :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 am

Maybe understanding others in the world might be a bit easier if one takes as gospel the conclusions from the long term studies of all the different races in our world. Apparently we have the Jews and the Han Chinese/ Japanese/Koreans at the top of the I.Q. stakes, with the African Negro at the bottom and us Caucasians in the middle. As we are all supposed to have come out of Africa a few hundred thousand years ago with some moving north who then over time split again with some moving East. The theory then is the eastern lot developed bigger brains (Actual size) less athletic ability, slightly longer pregnancies but less child mortality. Where as the African Negro was the opposite in all of those things and again with us in the middle. Any arguments with those theories.?
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 am

Mike Judd,
Can you identify what a Jew is, I thought it was a religion.
Are you claiming the US is run by a neanderthal?
Roger Ramjet

Next

Return to Friendly Banter