Dogs 101

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Dogs 101

Postby fredlk » Sun May 13, 2012 3:41 pm

I am very pleased to report that the Pattaya Floating market is dog-friendly. Personally I don't really like the place, but some of the Thai family was doing a whistle-stop tour of Rayong and Chonburi provinces - "If it's Sunday this must be Pattaya" for those of you who remember the similarly titled film - and so we went to meet them at the Floating Market because some of them had never met Eddy and Patsy. Somebody asked me if there was a dog show there today because there were so many dogs. Many Thai people were bringing their dogs along.

The first dog Eddy and Patsy encountered was a male Pug who decided that Patsy was a good-looking bit of fluff, but Eddy was having none of it. I could see him thinking "This is one ugly dog". Then an un-doctored 11 month old female Beagle showed up. Patsy didn't like her and kept saying so, but Eddy seemed to say "Aha, at last! One my own size" and for the next 10 minutes or so he showed his determination to father her children. I was a bit embarrassed, but the Thai loved the show and the Chinese seemed to as well although I couldn't make out if they were saying "cute" or "delicious".

Being on or in the water it's supposed to be somewhat cooler there, but coming back home to my place in the hills there was at least a 3 or 4 degree difference in temperature.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Just as well you don't have a Bulldog Fred .......

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby pattayapope » Wed May 30, 2012 8:30 am

Here are a couple of pictures of my lower "IQ" dogs, I must admit the seem to be greedy and stuborn and Jack likes to play tuff with Maggie (she is half the size) but she got her own back yesterday and drew first blood on Jacks ear and later on my hand[*] :lol:

Jack.jpg

Maggie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pattayapope

Postby MGV12 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:38 pm

pattayapope wrote:Here are a couple of pictures of my lower "IQ" dogs

As with humans the subject of IQ is overrated ... some of the brightest people I have been fortunate to know in my life wouldn't know what MENSA is ... let alone be asked to join.

The most contributing factor with human or dog is more about 'heart' than 'mind'; MENSA folk [or MENSA wannabes] I have brushed against have mostly been the opposite.

Your dogs appear to offer the challenges and contributions of most other dogs ... the balance always goes to contributions ... thanks for sharing.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am

Would you like soda water with that?

MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:55 pm

MGV12 wrote:Would you like soda water with that?

Very funny video!
I hate to see what his carpet looks or feels like.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:44 pm

We had an 'incident' yesterday. Our wealthy neighbour ... on one flank ... apparently can't afford to drill a well [as if] so has been drawing water from the stream that runs between us to irrigate his newly laid lawn ... strange to lay a new lawn in the driest time of the year! Therefore when I heard the drone of a petrol-driven pump yesterday I didn't think anything of it .... apart from the fact that some Farangs can also be thoughtless and noisy. Turns out it was coming from my Thai neighbour's property on the other flank ... he had called in the heavy-duty bug sprayers to attend to his Lamyai trees; naturally without advising us :roll: Our dog Tiga often visits their land and did so to see WTF was going on ... he returned at high speed frothing at the mouth and shaking violently! 'Daddy' fired up the Vigo and did a high speed delivery to the vet as this is obviously not a good sign! Fortunately our local vet is very good [Master's studying in Austria and The Netherlands] and she recognised his symptoms immediately ... even more fortunately she had an antidote. After many injections and a couple of hours on an intravenous drip and with the help of ice-packs he had settled and his initial dangerously-high temperature was back closer to normal. She said the chemicals they use are incredibly strong [no kidding ... those ants are most certainly a challenge!] and when inhaled burn from inside ... without very fast intervention he would have suffered permanent damage to vital organs. As it was there is still [hopefully immune system-repairable] damage to the liver especially but also to throat and lungs ... but being a young and very strong dog he should make an almost full recovery. Without the antidote ... or 'leaving it for a while to see how it goes' ... it would have meant the final curtain. This morning he appears to have recovered well but will require lots of pills and a trip back later for another dose of the antidote. Just goes to show the strength of the chemicals they appear to indiscriminately spray around and which are a major cause of health problems in those who administer them and who are unknowingly exposed to them. I had seen Tiga just a few minutes earlier and being still a puppy [by Labrador standards!] he would run away from anything strange ... so exposure would likely have been just a few seconds. I suspect that the sprayer aimed his wand at Tiga to make him go away ... potentially permanently! Often in those circumstances animals crawl into a corner somewhere and that's the end ... fortunately I was home and his first instinct was to come back to me. Thankful.

I am informed that 'Lamyai sprayers' in particular show a complete disregard for those around who might be affected. True? Whatever ... the property owner should take responsibility. We have four large Lamyai trees adjacent to the house and they are infested with red ants but from what I can see they don't do much harm to the actual tree ... just me! Maybe they do to the fruit-bearing ability for those who grow for profit but I have seen no convincing evidence. Would be interested in feedback from anyone with knowledge of why they use such highly-toxic chemicals to knock out tiny ants.

Termites is another issue :evil: but I doubt the spraying has too much effect on those subterranean assassins.

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed May 15, 2013 8:04 pm

MGV12 wrote:We had an 'incident' yesterday.

That's a horrible story with thankfully a good outcome. I can imagine the horror and the relief you felt.
Luckily the (poor) cassava growers here use only a little watered down weed-killer at times and I try keep the dogs away when I see them at it.
As for termites, I had the system installed under the house, but it's never been used. The dogs are often under there hunting frogs, lizards, snakes, rats, mice, whatever and so I'll never use toxins there. As there is no wood anywhere there seems to be no problem apart from the temporary wooden washing line which gets rebuilt every year or so.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sun May 19, 2013 12:41 pm

How is Tiga doing?
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:00 pm

fredlk wrote:How is Tiga doing?

Thanks for enquiring Fred:

The high-speed intervention appears to have saved the day and he is recovering well. He will be back to the vet when his pill medications have ended but he looks to me to be back to 95% of his old self. In a way I would personally be happy with 95% as he is more subdued and chasing the odd motor bike[r] seems to be less attractive. We all have to live with our neighbours after all ... even though he may only be chasing those he suspects have eaten dog at some point! :lol:

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Sun May 19, 2013 1:12 pm

MGV12 wrote:he looks to me to be back to 95% of his old self.

That's good news. Watch that he pees normally to keep an eye on his kidney functions. I had cats way back who were poisoned and although they recovered their kidneys had, unbeknown to me, been affected.
MGV12 wrote: chasing the odd motor bike[r] seems to be less attractive.

Don't complain, mine prefer chasing 10-wheeled trucks, tractors with ploughs and the odd steamroller. Needless to say the steamroller driver almost had a heart attack when Patsy ran around the front of his vehicle and out of his field of vision.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:16 pm

fredlk wrote:
MGV12 wrote:he looks to me to be back to 95% of his old self.

That's good news. Watch that he pees normally to keep an eye on his kidney functions. I had cats way back who were poisoned and although they recovered their kidneys had, unbeknown to me, been affected.
MGV12 wrote: chasing the odd motor bike[r] seems to be less attractive.

Don't complain, mine prefer chasing 10-wheeled trucks, tractors with ploughs and the odd steamroller. Needless to say the steamroller driver almost had a heart attack when Patsy ran around the front of his vehicle and out of his field of vision.

Both dogs chase every tractor ... I think it's in every dogs' genes :roll:

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Many moons ago we had a discussion about ticks and I swore by what my vet used to vaccinate my dogs with. That was then, but for the past year I've done without.

What happened was that Patsy especially was prone to various vague skin conditions which cleared up quickly enough but there was never any cause. I was taking either one or the other almost monthly to the vet for some complaint or worry. At the same time they still had ticks and fleas and so I thought to try and stop the treatment. Since not long after stopping, all Patsy's allergies cleared up, Eddy's bouts of sneezing stopped as well and the visits to the vet ceased almost completely.

The ticks are now quite numerous and they sometimes have fleas as well and so I try and kill them them if I can. I also use a little water-based tick-and-flea-spray on my hand to wipe the parts that seem to itch. That makes the ticks jump ship. I am consoled by the fact that Thai ticks do not carry any disease.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:31 pm

fredlk wrote:I am consoled by the fact that Thai ticks do not carry any disease.

Where did you hear that Fred? http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/seameo/2008 ... 0-4238.pdf

Our lab is a prime host for ticks as he is rarely dry .... labs love water .... and he also spends much of his time rummaging in the undergrowth. A few days ago he was scratching more than usual ... turns out a female had decided he was the perfect place to raise her babies. A tick can lay up to 3000 eggs apparently ... I would say he got the lot! Tiny little buggers that the nit comb won't pick up as they are too small. As labs have a fine downy under-coat it's totally impossible to remove them all ... so out came the scissors and he looks like he has been set upon by a band of midget Samurai! My loved-one wielded the scissors! Lots of tick-shampoo and tick-powder and the infestation is coming under control. I also don't like the injections or the spot-on products.

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

MGV12 wrote:http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/seameo/2008-39-6-full/10-4238.pdf

Too long to read it all but it seems to talk about bovine disease. I heard from a few vets and from a couple of doctors that there is no need to fear ticks.
MGV12 wrote:Lots of tick-shampoo and tick-powder

I tried that once on the little ones and Patsy (with the short hair) came out in a terrible skin rash so I dumped that.
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter