Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:Having ridden, driven (and been driven) in and around BKK a bit (30 years motorcycle, car and taxi) I can see that it's not much use there and having followed you once I can easily see why it's no good for you.

I'm a stickler for driving safely with speed. I was taught by an old NSW police senior sergeant at Saint Ives (New South Wales). If you are going to use the fast lane then you should drive at speed, if you get caught over the limit (set for wet weather), that's your fault for not having a radar detector. I was also on the Military Police motorcycle demonstration team that used to tour Australia and I regarded all of the team as temporary Australians. :lol:
Lazy drivers cause accidents. During my time with the Military Police (12 years) I was seconded to the NSW Police Accident Assessment Unit for 6 months. During that time we found that not one accident had been caused by speed (outright), there were always mitigating factors and many of those factors were caused by lazy drivers and they became indignant when questioned why they were in the fast lane doing under the speed limit and not letting other people pass. The older the person the more indignant they became when they were asked why they didn't allow other drivers to pass them. The excuse was "they were speeding", which is not an excuse as they didn't enforce the traffic code. In most cases they were the cause of a fatal accident (which was the finding of the coroner after our evidence). People get frustrated with lazy drivers, even in Thailand.
I too like to engage adaptive cruise control, but within 200 clicks of Bangkok you can't do it, well you can, but it's a waste of time. Thais are not taught how to drive safely. Their films are brilliant, but having sat through two I noticed that not one Thai paid attention, even though they used movie stars, all the Thais were on their cell phones and they do not go through a driver training course.
Aussie drivers are bad enough, but Thais are three times as bad, and the farangs who put their feet up are even worse (take note Luk :D ). Driving requires 100% concentration and awareness and adaptive cruise control makes people lazy and lazy drivers cause accidents.
Just have a look on Youtube at the videos there (Russia especially) and they are forced by their insurance companies to mount dash cams because they are lazy.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:55 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:Having ridden, driven (and been driven) in and around BKK a bit (30 years motorcycle, car and taxi) I can see that it's not much use there and having followed you once I can easily see why it's no good for you.

I'm a stickler for driving safely with speed.

That I do not question.

I hope you did not take my comment a criticism of your driving, it wasn't, just an observation.
Driving requires 100% concentration and awareness and adaptive cruise control makes people lazy

As I mentioned so far I haven't used cruse control but your position on it is a little confusing. Surely in the statement above you really meant to be a bit less absolute didn't you? You did say

I too like to engage adaptive cruise control

I rather think that Luc had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek. :?

My guess is that for my journeys not having to be constantly checking that my speed is legal will help not hinder my concentration. The HUD in the Mazda 3 also looks as if it helps so could be a deciding factor between it and the Elantra
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:25 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:My guess is that for my journeys not having to be constantly checking that my speed is legal will help not hinder my concentration.

Just to prove a point about total concentration whilst driving here is the result of the holiday fatalities in Australia: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-27/h ... sh/9286606
People seem to forget that fatigue causes most accidents. If truck drivers are forced to have a 20 minute break after 8 hours driving, then a full 8 hours after another two hours and keep log books, perhaps the people driving vehicles should do the same. I hated going to fatal accidents with people still trapped inside the vehicle and the person/s who had caused the accident was/were in denial and walking around.
I can recall an accident at Narooma where a man had failed to check his mirrors and pulled out and ran another vehicle off the road causing the male driver to hit a tree, killing him and seriously injuring his new wife. And the man who had caused the accident only stopped because his car had been scraped and he wanted insurance money and he just went shopping whilst accident rescue and ambulances were taking away the people. The police sergeant who did the investigation was ready to gaol him, instead he took his licence and forced his wife to drive. He was charged with culpable driving.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 am

I've very limited knowledge about cars and trucks but, for what it is worth, we purchased a Honda Jazz RS (have a Honda Fit in the US, mostly the same aside from some small features) 750k and a Isuzu D-Max (4 door, 1.9 liter turbo, 2 wheel drive, 1m) because we rented one for a month when we first moved here and liked it so much. So far we are pleased with both purchases (only been about 4 months). I prefer taking the Jazz for Udon trips as it is a bit swifter at passing other vehicles but "feel" safer in the truck.

The last week or two, though, I missed not having a heater...never occurred to me that most Thai cars wouldn't have heaters.
kmanonmaui

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:52 pm

When the Jazz first came out it was in two variants, the 1.3 litre 7 speed with paddle shifters, and the 1.5 litre 5 speed without. I've owned both, but the 1.3 litre was by far the superior in every area. And now they have the Jazz RS and I'm falling over laughing. Not one thing updated in 3 complete models, just cosmetics. RS stands for Rally Sport, but the Jazz doesn't qualify as it still has the exact same 1.5 litre engine with a 7 speed transmission from the old 1.3 litre. The brakes are still like milk bottle tops and I bet you the Satnav still doesn't work properly. At least they have corrected the indicator on the side mirrors that used to reflect off the side windows so you saw it, then you didn't. I even swapped mine over for conventional ones. And still the motoring journos gush over it, well some of them, the ones that want all expenses paid holidays and a new car to drive in each week. Talk about prostitution on a grand scale
It's as though all the car makers have gone to sleep at the wheel 15 years ago, except for the South Koreans and Mazda. Sigh.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:51 pm

Odd, our 2017 has paddle shifters as well. No really sure about the other data...again, not that much into cars.
kmanonmaui

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:13 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:Odd, our 2017 has paddle shifters as well. No really sure about the other data...again, not that much into cars.

As I said they just moved the 7 speed transmission and paddle shifters onto the 1.5 litre motor without changing either.
If you buy a different BMW, say 3 or 5 series each time a new model comes out, the engine is different, the transmission is different, the electronics have all changed and been upgraded, in fact just about everything on the car has changed. Honda have just added superficial stuff like spoilers and cosmetics, they have the same motor, chassis, the same transmission and suspension and they then stick a badge called RS on it, when it's not. :lol:
Don't get me wrong, there's not much wrong with the Jazz, except it's 15 years of doing nothing. I enjoyed it whilst I had it and the resale value in Thailand is high, just watch out for bumps in the road, the mag wheels have a habit of splitting if you hit a solid pothole (I went through three) and ditched their spare and bought a new mag wheel with neutral tread so it could fit front or back as I like wet/sports tyres. I also had the mag wheels and brakes upgraded for 70,000 baht and never regretted it. Honda did offer me a replacement vehicle, but as I had already booked the car in for the brakes, I declined their offer. They did upgrade the Satnav but it was as bad as before.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:27 am

Well if you read my post carefully, with lazy driver I meant to say that I will adapt to the speed of the fast lane.
What I do NOT do is sticking to the bumper in front of me at less than 10 meters what lots of Thai drivers seem to think is the norm.

That's where a Thai sticking to my bumper goes all nuts as he sees that 30 or more meter space in front of me and wants to get past me.

Also said that if it's not busy, then I will move over any time and way in time for a faster vehicle to pass me..

Keeping that distance also allows me more time to slow down, allowing for safer, more consistent and fuel efficient driving.

Thats my meaning with lazy driver / tourer, rather than aggressive, bumper sticking racing.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:40 am

I won't post the comments, that would be childish, but everyone has suddenly become defensive about their bad driving habits, that they claimed they had. :lol:
Me, I'm quite willing to admit I speed. And I also admit I like using in adaptive cruise control, but as I stated a waste of time in Thailand for 200 clicks around Bangkok. If you've ever driven Australia with mile after mile of nothing but dual/single lane highway and the occasional roo, emu, or wombat and of course the speed cameras or hiding highway patrol vehicle adaptive cruise control is very nice, but not in Thailand.
Australian Police forces will openly admit that speed traps are a major source of revenue and nothing more. Highway Patrol officers are there because they screwed up as General Duties officers and were sent to the Highway Patrol in disgrace. Camden used to be notorious for their black sheep. They were banned from the Military Police compound (Mess) because of their drinking and smoking of illegal substances (at the time) and then going out and booking civilians (and soldiers), whereas I would always drive the guilty home and make them pick the keys up from the Duty Officer at 3/2/1 MP Company the following day, normally with the wife bashing their ear. Justice! And like me they couldn't afford the fine or loss of licence (a habit I picked up from the New Zealand MPs in Malaya and Australian MPs in Vietnam), take the drunks home, get them off the road.
Cars do not adapt to a driver or his/her driving style, lets forget that one for a start, even I got hoodwinked into believing it, but then I thought about all the different Military Police vehicles and army vehicles with different drivers everyday, sometimes three or four times a day, as well as the British Police force's fleet of cars (BMW's) and laughed at my own gullibility. And all those public buses and company cars out there. The Dealers certainly pulled a good one there and it's bullshit. A car is a car, pure and simple. It's like saying my computer has adapted to me, not true, my computer doesn't think, it's programmed by me and the makers and the system to do certain tasks, that's it.
Anyway good luck with the adaptive cruise control and don't become a statistic, just pay 100% attention the whole time.
The only think I regret is the 90 days leaving the country, I rather enjoyed those drives to Aranyadapet and I certainly would love them now in the BMW. :D :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 pm

pipoz wrote:Saying goodbye to the Duc

Complete service from one hole to another, new battery, new fuel pump & new tires at a cost of TB 76,500 and now up she for sale for USD 7200 or TB 252,000

Someone will get themselves a nice bike and possibly kill themselves a month later :roll:

pipoz

SOLD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pipoz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pipoz

Postby schuimpge » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:21 am

Was time for a 10k service. Been happily driving for the last 6 months, so called the garage, and they said: Sunday 9.30am ok? Perfect for me..no need to miss the car for work. As I mentioned before, (it's an automatic, 5 speed + reverse) there was always a bit of lag in shifting gears, and online reviews all mention this as a remark even for brand new cars. Bit sluggish/slow in shifting gears.

So brought it in. Same as last time, wait for about 15-20 minutes while they're reading out the data and do a quick visual check.
After that, all is updated in the system and a full list comes out with the cost.
Standard 50k service is Oil & Filter change, Wheel balance check.
Total cost was THB 4,000. Signed the documents and they said 11am the car would be ready.. nice and quick.
On the way home, the garage called. They found that a small part in the steering system had worn out, if they could change that as well. 300 Baht extra. Sure..no problem..

Came back around 11.30am. They had given it a nice carwash and cleaned inside and out, ready to go.
Immediately thought: Something changed, it's driving differently.
So this morning driving to work, I had a bit more time behind the wheel and from the slow traffic to Future-park and the faster part passing Bangkok & Thammasat Uni's. Don't know exactly what they did, but the car drives beautifully smooth now! It's day and night difference with last week. I'm guessing the mechanic had some time with the Motor Management software and if so, then that guy knows his stuff. Could be other adjustments, I'm not a mechanic for sure...but from feeling every gearshift before, I now have to check the rev-counter to see the gear-shifts (or listen to the engine sound), that's how subtle they became..Difference of day and night!

Happy camper here, sure enjoying the car even more now. Lets see how it holds up.
Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Cars do not adapt to a driver or his/her driving style, lets forget that one for a start, even I got hoodwinked into believing it, but then I thought about all the different Military Police vehicles and army vehicles with different drivers everyday, sometimes three or four times a day, as well as the British Police force's fleet of cars (BMW's) and laughed at my own gullibility. And all those public buses and company cars out there. The Dealers certainly pulled a good one there and it's bullshit. A car is a car, pure and simple. It's like saying my computer has adapted to me, not true, my computer doesn't think, it's programmed by me and the makers and the system to do certain tasks, that's it.
:D :lol:

You're having a very wrong understanding of this. If you think that you are still 100% in control in a car, then you forget that between yourself and the mechanical parts of the car there's a nice computer with software. That software translates your input (throttle, steering, brakes) into commands that are run through a long list of variables stored in that software. If your input is within those limits, then it allows the car to execute those commands.

If your input is outside certain limits, then the computer will check what systems it has available to correct your input. (Think ABS, Body-roll, Traction Control, Brake Force Assistance and dozens of other systems nowadays).. The computer will then activate those systems to help you control your car to avoid it spinning of the road for example. It's not programmed or capable yet to completely control everything, but it's getting closer to that point, in other words: closer to being fully autonomous (Tesla as a good example).

Back to your claim of nonsense on adaptive gearbox...

What the motor management computer and its software also do is storing those inputs you made. It stores how many times you floor the pedal, it stores how fast you drive off, it stores how strong your braking is and many more variables like fuel economy, gear shifts, top-speeds and average speeds for example.

Aside from your car-manufacturer who loves this kind of data for their product-development, the software in your motor-management system uses that information to make changes internally as you drive your car over a longer period of time.

For example, for automatically shifting gears, the software has an instruction to allow and execute shifting gears between 1500 RPM and 3000 RPM.
When you buy a car new from the factory, the software is programmed by that factory to always try to shift gear at 2000 RPM..
You start driving the car and the motor management software starts building up data of your driving style..
Lets say your driving style is on the more aggressive side, meaning that most gear shifts take place between 2500 and 3000 RPM.
The Motor management software will react to that after a certain amount of time (and a minimum amount of data collected) by adjusting the factory settings gradually from 2000 RPM gearshift to 2500 RPM.

The computer doesn't change, the car doesn't change, but the software changes settings. Those settings are what is called 'the adaptive' part of an adaptive gearbox...

Cheers,
Luc
Last edited by schuimpge on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:13 pm

And just to add on your example with cars that are frequently driving by different drivers: those cars adapt, but less likely noticeable since the data collected most probable is all over the place, so after averaging that out, the setting will stay in the middle of the band it is allowed to operate in.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:16 pm

And for your BMW, the procedure to clear old your transmission from previously learned settings: check this link... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=261285

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 pm

schuimpge wrote:And for your BMW, the procedure to clear old your transmission from previously learned settings: check this link

Have you really read Bimmer? Half the idiots on there (probably including me) have no idea what they are doing or why it is doing it. As for the transmission, I have firstly a rebuilt transmission and secondly I go "through the gate" to sports mode a lot and run it out to 5,000 RPM before shifting up. I also drive in Bangkok traffic and half the time I do what you do, look at the rev counter because now I rarely know what gear it's in. If I floor the accelerator, which I do quite often, it will drop you back in the seat, the seat belts will tighten and the seat will fold in closer and it may drop down two gears, then it surges away. In other words it does what I want it to do, not what the computer tells it to do.
Quoting Tesla is not a good example. Just feed in "Tesla problems" into Youtube and you'll be able to look at videos all day long, including the fact that they are 75% behind in their production and the finish is absolute crap.
Cars do not adapt to drivers and their on-board computers only do what the factory programmed them to do, and the ones here in Thailand are programmed not to do much at all. You can buy the plug and software to run on your laptop, but you can't change the factory settings and neither can the dealer (Stealer). There is only one place in Bangkok that can change the settings for about 50-70,000 baht, otherwise you have to lump what the factory have put into the car when it was built. I have read all my settings and they haven't changed since I bought the car even though I've played with it many times, but I can turn on and off the traction control at the touch of a button on the dash and I can find out when it needs another service, again by the touch of a "switch" on the indicator stalk and it will tell me it's "okay" for the engine and servicing.
You have been listening to too many Dealers Luc and what they want you to believe.
Computers do not adapt to people's driving styles just as your computer at home and work doesn't unless it's programmed to do so and both BMW and Tesla have that locked down.
Even the M5 Ring Taxis have to go back to the factory to have the settings changed and they have many different drivers each day.....ask Sabine Schmitz.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter