Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Very impressive, as usual from BMW, but it's still only a laptop as Jeremy Clarkson said. They get everything right except for the batteries, when are they going to get rid of lithium-ion and use paper batteries? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_battery

Please Please not in the next 5 years...lol...
We're making ton's of money from Li-Ion Battery recycling..
Investing heavily into larger facilities and it just keeps growing..
Cobalt is the new gold..it's going through the roof right now.
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

schuimpge wrote:Please Please not in the next 5 years...lol...
We're making ton's of money from Li-Ion Battery recycling..
Investing heavily into larger facilities and it just keeps growing..
Cobalt is the new gold..it's going through the roof right now.

Paper batteries have been around a few years so you have no worries as car makers and phone makers are making money hand over fist using Lithium-Ion. It takes me back to the day that Sarich in West Australia won the invention of the year with the Sarich Rotary Engine and Ford immediately bought the patents and shelved them. The motor weighed only 60 lbs and could be replaced in minutes for little cost and with various drive trains could power just about anything. But, the big motor companies couldn't have that, so they just bought him out. As the motor had two serious flaws Sarich needed the money to solve them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarich_orbital_engine which is why he took the money so he could reinvent the motor, which is a work still in progress, but he does still get royalties from the air conditioning makers.
Paper batteries are a reality, but whether they power cars is another story. There are other battery inventions from Universities being tested at the moment, but cobalt is not one of them.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue May 22, 2018 8:02 pm

This post is in regard to the Ford Focus etc and their powershit transmission that I did warn was going to explode in Thailand. It finally has.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ction-suit
If you have a Ford Focus etc with the guilty/faulty powershit transmission, get rid of it now, it can't be fixed, there is a fault in the design.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:This post is in regard to the Ford Focus etc and their powershit transmission that I did warn was going to explode in Thailand. It finally has.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ction-suit
If you have a Ford Focus etc with the guilty/faulty powershit transmission, get rid of it now, it can't be fixed, there is a fault in the design.

308 plaintiffs left and no effect on persons or groups outside the case.
Wife's car is running well. Service from Ford Pathumthani is 1st class and I'd recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat.
As I mentioned quite some time ago. It's not the problem that gets people upset, it's the way it is fixed, and the garage in Pathum, as it stands, is pressing all the right buttons without fail.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 pm

I know RR, you're going to flame this like no other, but this is Ford Australia's take on the problem: https://www.caradvice.com.au/570740/for ... -remedies/

And it's not only Ford, Volkswagen has the same problems.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 am

You're wrong Luc, I am not going to flame this anymore than Ford has already and I quote:
The PowerShift transmissions represent a dark chapter in the Ford Motor Company's history and, by its own admission, it didn’t deal with the issues as quickly and as effectively as it could have. It ought to prove a humbling experience for the American brand, though, and that can - should - only be a good thing.
When you buy a new car you expect it to be covered by the warranty, but Ford refused to replace, fix, or give owners of the cars a replacement at their expense, instead they charged the customer and claimed it was caused by their driving style.
The ACCC is a wimp, this is the first time they have ever taken on the big boys and they did so only after 5 years of accidents (sudden deceleration), lock-ups and the whole time claimed it was the driver's fault, or they lived in the wrong place. This is the first time they have admitted they have three problems with the design of the powershift and all three of the "fixes" have not really worked and have been makeshift at best.
Imagine buying a brand new car and then having it sitting at the dealers the whole time, and each time you get it back the same or another problem arises.
I notice the so-called motoring journalist is a pawn of the industry, as are most Aussie motoring journos. You want proof of that? Just have a look at all the magazines like Wheels and others that would never report on the defects because they were told they wouldn't get another car if they did.
This has been going on for 7 years at least and the problem existed before that in other Ford models. Very expensive Ford models. My mate owned a Limited Edition Ford Ghia with the 351 motor and it spent more time in the Ford Dealers than out of it. It had a manual gearbox, but you wouldn't know it as each time I had to jump start it in neutral, it would jump forwards and try and crush my legs between the cars. The Ford dealership in the country town we lived in refused to touch it so it had to go to Canberra each time. And before you say anything about the battery, that was brand new, but wouldn't kick the motor over. Over a 4 year period that very expensive high powered car sat in Ford dealerships for over 3 of those years and nothing was done under warranty, even though the car was new.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 23, 2018 12:42 am

Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed May 23, 2018 9:13 am

schuimpge wrote:I know RR, you're going to flame this like no other, but this is Ford Australia's take on the problem: https://www.caradvice.com.au/570740/for ... -remedies/

Cheers,
Luc

Hi Luc

Most of the article that you referred to is PR lies by Ford and VW Australia is virtually as bad as Ford.

Try Hyundai if you want a DCT that works.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby schuimpge » Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
schuimpge wrote:I know RR, you're going to flame this like no other, but this is Ford Australia's take on the problem: https://www.caradvice.com.au/570740/for ... -remedies/

Cheers,
Luc

Hi Luc

Most of the article that you referred to is PR lies by Ford and VW Australia is virtually as bad as Ford.

Try Hyundai if you want a DCT that works.

If that's the case, then sure it's a slick story..wont argue if it's PR or anything, as I simply don't know.. and well, it doesn't matter to me anyway. As I mentioned before, don't have any problems with Ford, except the nuisance of bringing the Fiesta to the shop, which of course I hope is now solved, but I'll post here if anything crops up again..
As far as buying other brands, well, for me, the next car I'd buy would either be a 2019 model Everest, Ranger or the Raptor..I like the design...but that would then be in 2020 or later as buying a new car is a waste of money. The moment you drive out of the garage, you lost 200k ThB already...
schuimpge

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm

I would be ice skating in hell before I bought a Ford vehicle of any variation and if you have, or know anyone who has, a Ford with a DCT sell it if you can or tell them to get rid of it.

This is only one of the incredibly bad Ford f****ps, if you buy a Ford diesel pickup never drive it off road as if you do there is a non-zero chance of it catching fire and if you and all your passengers do not get out of it in less than 60 seconds there is a non-zero chance that your (or their) cremation will be much sooner than you would like

A failure rate of at least (Ford admitted the number) 50% (it's probably higher) is incredibly bad if there is a failure rate it should be a long way under 1%

Ford clearly doesn't know how to engineer a DCT and has demonstrated that it doesn't care about its customers.

Some details from the Sidney Morning Herald https://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/ford-ordered-to-pay-10-million-fine-for-unconscionable-conduct-20180426-p4zbrc.html

As background, the affected Ford vehicles were fitted with a six-speed dry dual-clutch automatic transmission system, of which, to date, Ford Australia has sold over 70,000 in various versions.

As of last month, around half of those vehicles have been back to Ford for a transmission repair. Of that number, around 12,000 have had their clutch replaced with the latest version (5000 of them, Ford claims, as part of a proactive campaign initiated by the company).

By Ford's on admission they sold 70,000 DCT vehicles and at least 35,000 of those have had to have at least 1 repair, some many more. That doesn't count the vehicles that were not brought in or where the owners were told it's thier own fault.
Ford has had a AU$10,000,000 penalty after the court finding the way it responded to consumer complaints about PowerShift transmission (PST) cars was “unconscionable”. The

“Of particular concern was the owner loyalty program, which resulted in customers paying an additional cost to buy new vehicles although they may have been eligible for a refund or no-cost replacement vehicle," Mr Whickman said.

Customers had complained to Ford and the company’s dealers about a number of issues including excessive clutch shudder, noisy transmissions and excessive shuddering and jerking when accelerating.
Of those vehicles, 37 per cent had at least one clutch replacement, but Mr Sims said the company told consumers the issues were not its fault.
“Despite knowing that shuddering was a symptom of the quality issues with the vehicles, Ford frequently told customers that shuddering was the result of the customer’s driving style,” he said.
“Ford knew that the symptoms of the quality issues with the vehicles were experienced intermittently, but required customers to demonstrate them on demand in the presence of a dealer in order for repairs to be undertaken.
“In most cases, Ford refused to provide a refund or no-cost replacement vehicle to consumers, even after vehicles had undergone multiple repairs that had not resolved consumers’ complaints.”
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed May 23, 2018 9:20 pm

schuimpge wrote:
If that's the case, then sure it's a slick story..wont argue if it's PR or anything, as I simply don't know..

From the story
Whickman says that allegations against Ford, that it didn’t refund or replace vehicles for customers that had been adversely affected by repeat issues, is false.

From the court proceedings
In most cases, Ford refused to provide a refund or no-cost replacement vehicle to consumers, even after vehicles had undergone multiple repairs that had not resolved consumers’ complaints.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:From the court proceedings

I didn't want to go into great details about Ford and why they dropped all their small to medium cars off their inventory and it's not just Australia, but also China and the rest of Asia and the world.
The second most valuable possession a normal person has after a house is a car and most pay them off. Just imagine paying say 15,000 baht a month (I'm guessing) and then finding you don't have a car for 3 out of the 4 years, or you get stuck with more bills for warranty work. The poor Thais who only earn 30,000 baht a month (guessing again) are the ones who get stuck with the duds and they have to use their wife's salary to pay the rent etc. It is totally unconscionable as the good judge said.
I'm pleased Thais are finally banding together and taking on the big guys.
As far as their offroad vehicles are concerned, Ford could have fixed the problem by using a $50 reflective shield, but instead, they ignored the problem until they killed a family on a bush trip and finally the wimpish Australian ACCC took action, but only after the coroner had ruled against Ford.
If you have a Ford in the bracket mentioned, get rid of it now as it won't be worth anything in a few months.
There's some (very few) car journalists out there with honour who will tell it like it really is, the rest just use the car for a month free and then write what the car company approve. It's the reason all the car magazines are bust or going bust.
Jeremy Clarkson had the guts to call out Ford and Tesla and he beat both in court. But you have to listen to what real journalists say, not believe the fluff the car makers spin. I still can't believe Ford claiming it was caused by driving habits, or because someone lived on a hill.
Cars cannot and do not think, they are machines that humans must input commands into, but the way Tesla spins it (even after killing people) you would think it was the driver's fault.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Well, seems I'm a magnet for nails and stuff. Grrr, second flat tyre in 2 months..Not flat yet, will get to a petrol station to see if it still fills up and hold for a slow drive to the shop for repair.
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 24, 2018 2:17 pm

schuimpge wrote:Well, seems I'm a magnet for nails and stuff. Grrr, second flat tyre in 2 months..Not flat yet, will get to a petrol station to see if it still fills up and hold for a slow drive to the shop for repair.

Good luck with that, you could of course get around it by buying expensive "run flat tyres" or have a BMW which allows you to do it. :lol:
And to think when they bought out the steel belted radials all the ads said it would stop the above from happening.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter