Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am

BKKBILL wrote:Oh Dear!

The Grand Bore: End of the road for Jeremy Clarkson's £100million show as Amazon doesn't offer fourth series as veteran lands himself job as Who Wants To Be A Millionaire host

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -Tour.html

Having watched the first series I agree with "The Grand Bore" title ... in fact not even grand, compared to what it could/should have been with the budget they had to work with. The final episode was pathetic.

In other news ... the original Top Gear has improved and is actually watchable.

What will the other three do next? Anything or nothing at all, as they have all made enough dough to last them a lifetime.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 pm

BKKBILL wrote:The Grand Bore: End of the road for Jeremy Clarkson's £100million show as Amazon doesn't offer fourth series as veteran lands himself job as Who Wants To Be A Millionaire host

What a pity, although I admit I only watched the "free" ones I could get hold of because Amazon had this thing about me being Australian, having a Thai address and coming out of Japan, Mexico, the US or where ever my VPN provider sent me.
Someone will kindly post them to Youtube in the next few years, so I can watch them for free as I have ad blocker.
The American "Stig" and the tent talk ruined it for me.
James May has a new show as well with all of the series available on Youtube. Richard is working for National Geographic and being promoted as the next David Attenborough even though he hates all things creepy crawly.
I guess they could always sell their car collections if they were short of a quid. Perhaps Richard will find time to rebuild his collection of junk?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm

VWs using more diesel, failing pollution tests after recalls: study
SYDNEY: Volkswagen vehicles recalled and fixed after the worldwide "dieselgate" emissions cheating scandal are using more fuel and still failing pollution tests, according to a study by Australia's peak motoring body released Monday.
VW admitted in 2015 to equipping about 11 million cars worldwide with defect devices.
VW admitted in 2015 to equipping about 11 million cars worldwide with "defeat devices", which allowed them to deceive emissions laboratory tests but emit up to 40 times the permissible levels of harmful nitrogen oxide during actual driving.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/wo ... alls-study
How to fix a problem you have caused?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Just as a follow-up on what was said earlier about VW who own Porch, I found this in the Bangkok Post: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... e-charging
Perhaps the old dear should have jumped into it and made it her 10 million baht funeral pyre.
Perhaps it is also a warning for those of you who don't have Safe-T-Cut boards and proper earths to get them in quickly.
I had my usual 6 months service on my air conditioners the other day and the man who normally does them had two new crew, within 30 seconds of them pulling down the second air conditioner one of the kids put a screw driver where it shouldn't go and tripped my upstairs board, good enough to not only trip the fuse for the air con but also the main board. Lucky boy, he could have fried himself as he was not using the right screwdriver.
I notice that John Cadogan has even irked a VW dealer in the US who posted saying that what he said was untrue and that dealers were nice people, then contradicted himself. In his open reply spread over 90% of the replies were in John Cadogan's favour saying he was totally correct. I'll see if I can find the post again.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Here's the site from Australia and low and behold the man is still a car dealer which explains a lot : https://www.carbusiness.com.au/drives-john-cadogan/
The mechanics who have placed statements under the man's rant are in total agreeance with John, who also happens to have a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree.
I've read a few of his rants as well and all he does is try and flog heaps of junk like Holden and Ford and admits that he's had to fix other VWs because other Dealers have said there was nothing wrong with them.
I'll put him in the category of being a mouthpiece for the auto industry. And he also advocates Scrape Armour when in fact it is a design fault that causes the scrape as the tyres are too large for the car and the suspension is not set properly. On an BMW M3 I doubt his claim too, having driven one and watched the British Police hit all the speed humps without the scrape he claims happens. Just another failing of the Ford Mustang which is the most serious offender.
When you are forking out thousands of dollars you expect a new car to be perfect, and not have to buy all the added extras he promotes. If my BMW 525i did any of what he claims I would have it back into the workshop in 5 minutes.
And another claim that a BMW engine is clagged at 280,000 kilometres is also codswallop, especially as he says it needs replacing, I've seen dozens of them over 500,000 and still running strong. I actually had mine compression tested and even though the cylinders are down slightly on the original specs they are all withing 5 PSI of each other. When that changes I'll have the head reconditioned which my mechanic says will take about three days and cost less than 40,000 baht.
This idiot should watch Wheeler Dealers and see how Ed China restores very old cars to their former glory and updates them at the same time.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Nigglyb » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:23 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:And another claim that a BMW engine is clagged at 280,000 kilometres is also codswallop, especially as he says it needs replacing, I've seen dozens of them over 500,000 and still running strong.

I had a 7 Series with just over 300,000 km on the clock when I sold it. The engine & auto box were still smooth as silk
Nigglyb

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Nigglyb wrote:I had a 7 Series with just over 300,000 km on the clock when I sold it. The engine & auto box were still smooth as silk

My 525i has 270,000 and I've had the auto transmission reconditioned, which I expected to have to do as the Thai who owned it before thought keeping the paint shiney was servicing it. It is now fully serviced and will be every 10,000 klicks or less.
John Cadogan is not liked by the car companies nor the "stealers" (dealers) because he knows the law and also is a mechanical engineer. He might be a bit rough around the edges but he calls a spade a spade and he knows all the rorts and rip-offs the car companies and dealers pull and he goes into bat for car owners.
Why this used car salesman thought he could take a nasty swipe at John on the Internet and get away with it shows the mentality, or lack of it, of ex VW Dealers and the replies show that the used car salesman is totally wrong.
There's a lot wrong with the car companies when they send out bad design after bad design and then expect the customer to foot the bill even under warranty.
The Suzuki gets traded in a few weeks and it will be a Mazda 2 or preferably a top of the line Subaru.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Chzydeath » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:49 pm

< nonsense post removed - mod >
Chzydeath

Previous

Return to Friendly Banter