Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 am

Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Saying goodbye to the Duc

Complete service from one hole to another, new battery, new fuel pump & new tires at a cost of TB 76,500 and now up she for sale for USD 7200 or TB 252,000

Someone will get themselves a nice bike and possibly kill themselves a month later :roll:

pipoz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:58 am

An unusual day in F1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-26/d ... tion=sport
I'm pleased Australia's Daniel R (Honey badger) has introduced a new word into the Australian language (shoey) and his American mate partook of the champers with him after the race.
Hamilton wants to fight Vettel "like a man", which might prove interesting and I think the UFC could arrange a bout at the end of the F1 schedule. My money would be on Vettel because, well, I just don't like Hamilton. :lol: :lol:
I think the Honey Badger might have paid Vettel to run into Hamilton behind the safety car, but who can tell in F1.
I do wish Renault would fix their engine so that it is as fast as Mercedes and Ferrari, nothing is more embarrassing than watching the three cars on the straight, with the Renault powered Red Bull acting as though it is only running on two cylinders, with Mercedes and Ferrari flashing past at 30 Kph more than the tired old Renault motor. At least it makes it to the end of the race, sometimes, this season.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 am

The wife and I officially moved to Thailand in January, after many years out of the country. We decided to buy a small car. Just by accident we ended up in a Nissan dealer in Bangkok and saw the Almera. Before that we really had no intention of buying one. Upon coming to Phayao we looked at most all the dealerships but kept going back to the Almera. We bought a black Sportech.

The car is quite nice and feels huge to me. My last cars in the States consisted of two MB AMG convertibles, a brilliant twin-turbo RX-7 (best sliding car in the world), assorted Corvettes and Italian two-seaters. So anything with four doors is huge!

The power is mostly invisible and a shopping cart probably is faster but for Thailand it makes a lot of sense. Reasonable quiet and comfortable and gets amazing full economy. I think it is quite cute also!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We have driven from Phayao to Bangkok and then on to Buriram (Superbike races) and back, averaging 120kph and about 45mpg. We have tackled all the mountain roads in the north and have never had a problem. Plucky little bugger.

But... I still want a ZL1 Camaro... Hehe

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Saffles

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am

Mark,
Black is not a good colour for Thailand, the air conditioning will be running flat out the whole time. It's a pity about Nissan, the only car in their fleet that has been upgraded in the last 10 odd years is the GTR. My wife works for Sumiden International and she says the wiring harnesses, which they supply, have not changed, except for the GTR, in the last 10 odd years and the motor hasn't been upgraded in that time.
Why would you want a Camaro ZL 1, there are too many corners in Thailand for one of those :lol: and if your going to give away money, the Koreans are the leaders of the pack in small/medium cars with updated motors and upgraded electronics and all the whistles and bells for the same price as the Nissan.
I owned a Camaro in the US and I left it in Washington State and rented a car when I drove around America.
As I'm a BMW fan (and owner 525i SE), I'd recommend the M3 or M4, it walks all over the Camaro and it goes around corners too. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Roger,

The black color is working out fine...air is no problem. But Phayao is a cool province. Buriram was over 40 everyday but not a problem. Car cools down rather quickly. After a couple of minutes I keep it on the slowest setting.

I have owned or driven extensively most of the popular sports cars or the last forty years. As I said the Mazda was the absolute best car for drifting (we use to call power sliding). The new Corvettes and Camaros will absolutely obliterate almost any car on the road in corners. Nothing the Germans make will come close (maybe the M4 GTS) especially at one third their price. New Caddys also will compete easily with most of the Germans.

I owned an M5, great car.

For the combination of shear raw power and handling...and price give me a ZL1!

Mark
Saffles

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 pm

pipoz wrote:Saying goodbye to the Duc

Complete service from one hole to another, new battery, new fuel pump & new tires at a cost of TB 76,500 and now up she for sale for USD 7200 or TB 252,000

Someone will get themselves a nice bike and possibly kill themselves a month later :roll:

pipoz

Pipoz,

If not for my medical condition I would be there in a heartbeat! Love the Ducati. I still have in the States my Yamaha Superbike FZR750 RR 0W01 that I used to race and a matching FZR 400 used for endurance races... And the original Honda CBR900 RR. Oh, and a super fun Honda XR600 that can climb trees.

Hopefully I can recover and ride wild again. Keep the bike!!

Mark
Saffles

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Saffles wrote:For the combination of shear raw power and handling...and price give me a ZL1!

Did you know that three motoring journalists from England test drove the ZL1 and even though they liked it, they liked European cars a lot more, so much so they picked the three fastest cars from the US and then three from Europe and actually raced both lots. The US cars on the salt flats and the speeds and power was adequate after a lot of refining, but none lived up to the manufacturer's claims, but they did say that they finally liked driving them.
They also tested three European cars (finally) and they still talk about them today.
The problem with the US cars is the NCAP rating, the fabled new Mustang managed to scrape just a 2 out of 5 and they still have that great steel girder for a rear end. I always loved the Trans Am, the design was brilliant, but half the time the headlights didn't work and the brakes were not what you could call brakes. I've watched Chip Foose (Overhauling) and he shakes his head half the time about what could have been a great car, then he makes it into one, but I would hate to see the cost for replacing that steel girder and brakes and many times the motor. The US car companies are all about profit at the top which is why the US government had to bail two of them out.
Would I buy a US or Australian made car? Not anymore, they've lost the plot compared to European cars and currently Ford and GM in Australia are facing huge law suits bought by the government, caused by failures (Ford clutch, and GM brakes and safety), and it's not about fining them, it's about fixing their cars under warranty, so people can drive them. And meanwhile the Koreans are offering an unlimited miles and 12-14 years warranty, which they honour, unlike both Ford and GM.
You can talk all you like about speed and raw power, but you have to go around corners and stop, which you can do in a BMW, but is lacking in US cars. The cost may be higher, but as I found out you don't have to use the Stealers to fix a major problem as long as you go to an authorised mechanic who uses German parts and then the cost is less than a quarter of the Stealers
It's about staying up with the technology and Nissan haven't bothered, except with the GTR. Neither have Honda and neither have Mitsubishi. Who wants a 2017 Honda Jazz with the same faulty brakes it had back 14 years ago and everything else the same, except for the exterior. I'd much prefer the 10 year old BMW 525i with the beautiful leather, the refined engine that gets better fuel consumption at 16 Kpl and has all the whistles and bells as standard. Cruise control, lights on, wipers work auto, disk brakes all around that stop you on a dime, day running lights, sport mode and it costs less as well.
If you want shear power then you can get a Ferrari La Ferrari, that will eat your little ZL1 one for breakfast, or the Mclaren P1 or even the new M3 or M5. It's the driver too.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:04 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Mark, Black is not a good colour for Thailand.
As I'm a BMW fan (and owner 525i SE), I'd recommend the M3 or M4, it walks all over the Camaro and it goes around corners too. :D

What's the color of your BMW again RR? Dark blue or so?
schuimpge

Postby Saffles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Nurburgring lap times...

Camaro ZL1 1LE...7:16:00
BMW M4 GTS... 7:27:88
BMW M4... 7:52:00

I have raced cars and motorcycles since I was 14.
Saffles

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:04 am

schuimpge wrote:What's the color of your BMW again RR? Dark blue or so?

No, if you look it's a silver grey.

Saffles wrote:Nurburgring lap times...

Camaro ZL1 1LE...7:16:00

I don't know how the M4 keeps getting mentioned, but I do know that ZL1 1LE is not a standard production car and only manages to come 15th around the Nurburgring and even two Dodge Vipers beat it. :lol: And I know Sabine Schmitz waved away the opportunity to drive it. Sensible girl that.
The Camaro failed in the NCAP ratings test http://blog.caranddriver.com/mustang-ca ... ash-tests/ and I know I would prefer to drive something with an NCAP 5 rating. The Camaro doesn't even have forward collision warning and the three cars tested are the top three in the US for collisions. I would hate to think what your super modified 1LE has had taken out of it too.
When you buy a European car you are told the NCAP rating and if it's not a 5, you'll also be told the insurance will be sky high.
My 525 will do me with 10 airbags (not Nataka) and my 10,000 baht a year insurance with 45% no claims bonus +2,500 baht for a comparable replacement car whilst it's being fixed will do me.
And can you tell me where you can buy a Camaro ZL1 1LE in Thailand and the cost, which is what you said was cheap. :lol: Because when I looked it up it was comparable with the Ferrari la Ferrari and I know what I would drive. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 am

I never said you could get the Camaro in Thailand. Wanting something and getting it are two different things. A ZL1 1LE is not highly modified, just order one... About $70,000 or so. Regular ZL1 is about $60,000+. Last I saw a LaFerrari at auction was $7,000,000... A bit of a difference.

Crash tests... Don't crash!! And the new Camaro did not fail. Worst thing was "acceptable" for the roof... I would want a drop top anyway. No front collision alert? Please, I have eyes... And more specifically a wife who points out every piece of paper io the road! And when have you seen a crash test on a Ferrari? Run a Camaro into a LaFerrari at speed and see who walks away.

BMW 5-Series is a nice car. As I said, I owned an M5. They slide well and are comfortable.

I never knock ones car of choice. We all have reasons for getting what we have. I take that back... I lived in China for four years...saw some really weird and crappy stuff there!!

Mark
Saffles

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:48 am

Saffles wrote: About $70,000 or so.

The kit makes it $75,000, and really I'm just being a bit pedantic as I owned a Camaro in the US and it served me well, sort of. But the brakes were like sponge rubber and overheated a lot. They did do a recall on them eventually, but that would have gone to the next owner.
My wife is like yours, she thinks my eyes have failed and she's always pointing out things I've seen, except the road repair signs we have here in red, right next to where the bloody great hole is without any other warning. Luckily I drive the same road each day and because of the monks with their cart (no reflectors, no light) that has been hit a number of times I travel that part slowly, but others end up in the holes and the monk's cart has been smashed a number of times, due to encroachment on what should have been a footpath.
The BMW handles the sudden swerves rather well without the usual yaw or near loss of control that both the two Honda Jazz's and the Suzuki Swift my daughter now drives to work, did not handle well at all. Not so with the Mazda though, one car that has kept pace with the Koreans, along with Subaru, but for the rest, especially Ford and General Motors (both which have class action suits against them here in Thailand - a first), they still churn out rubbish.
The first Honda Jazz I had was great, seven speed automatic and ran like a charm, but the one after, had a 5 speed auto, had to have the brakes totally replaced, bigger wheels and tyres as the brake pedal slowly sank to the floor when I first got it. They did offer a replacement but by the time they got around to it I had the whole thing sorted for 70,000 baht, and still they churn them out without blinking or doing one thing about the defect. Same chassis, same brakes, same motor and transmission as back in 2007, just a body upgrade that looks as bad as the Civic.
Anyway enough of my venom on cars in Thailand, Australia and the US. I'll stick with my BMW and pay dearly for it. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Saffles » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:45 pm

New Corvettes and Camaros are a long way from the old stuff. I have had a lot of each. My first car was a Firebird Formula and was a lot of fun (especially after dropping in a 443ci NASCAR-type motor). But can not compare with the new stuff.

New Chevys are top of the charts in stopping power, besting all comers.

It is a golden age of sporty cars. Unfortunately the safety first, let the car do the driving crowd is winning out...sigh...

Watch out !!! Thai wife aboard...
Saffles

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Saffles wrote:New Chevys are top of the charts in stopping power, besting all comers.

I'm sorry to tell you that new Chevys are not the top of the charts in stopping power, that's why they are being sued in Thailand (Class action no less) and Ford with it's clutch problems it says are caused by the owners..... that's a new one.
You could have bought a Chevy here if they are so good, but nobody wants to go near them, and I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they owe the USG a lot of money, yet still pay their top executives millions a year?
To be honest I've seen photos of your Camaro and it's not really all that good in the looks department. Now the IROC Z28, in the old days, did turn heads and the sound was something to kill for, but it was a beacon for police and not all that special in bodywork and paint and cheap tacky plastic, and oh those sponge rubber brakes, but at least I didn't have my mate's problems with his Firebird headlights not working and forever replacing the motors that lifted them.
Ford, GMH and Chrysler would have had to lift their game a heck of a lot in the last 20 years to be any improvement and as a certified police driver the Chrysler Charger was a death trap as a few NSW Police found out. And I probably owned the most sort after Ford in Australia, the 351 GTHO Super Roo at one stage, but couldn't afford to run it at 3 - 7 miles to the gallon.
And when they did make good cars in Australia the parent company in the US wouldn't let them export them.
I've found you can't build a car around a motor, you have to design it from the ground up.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter