Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderator: MGV12

Re: Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:26 pm

Let us not forget what the Beeb's reply was to the new and improved TG.

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 12.16.57 PM.jpg

Too flaccid and eager to please … Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc in Top Gear. Photograph: BBC Worldwide
Of all the repercussions to have come from Jeremy Clarkson lamping his producer, the most upsetting was the hobbled Top Gear that sprang up in its wake. Although replacement hosts Chris Evans and Matt LeBlanc gave it their best shot, the format turned to ashes in their hands, becoming simultaneously too flaccid and eager to please. It was a hollow shell of a show, and Evans legged it as fast as he could. The rave reviews received by Clarkson’s new show The Grand Tour – which, even more than his old series, is just a load of doddery old men larking about near some cars – only compounded Top Gear’s failure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Thought the The Grand Tour episode 9 Berks to the Future was quite good it should do well in America.

MGV12 may not think so since an MGB was destroyed. Oh well.

If anyone wants to watch this episode or most any TV series ads free there is a link at the chrome web store called Stream Series for watching TV online with Google chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e-ntp-icon
BKKBILL

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Thought the The Grand Tour episode 9 Berks to the Future was quite good it should do well in America.

MGV12 may not think so since an MGB was destroyed. Oh well.

If anyone wants to watch this episode or most any TV series ads free there is a link at the chrome web store called Stream Series for watching TV online with Google chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... e-ntp-icon

Whoops :oops: :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 am

Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Indeed. The history books will say that he made F1 what it is today .... although they might disagree where the line is drawn between the plus's and the minus's.

Good to see Ross Brawn involved. I feel more optimistic about the future of F1. Time will tell .. as will how much time it takes. Getting Ferrari to give up their 'divine right' may be a stumbling block ... but left fielding BE off his throne shows they are capable and mean business. The real guy at the top [John Malone] isn't known as Darth Vader for no reason!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:44 pm

The Del Boy of F1
Date published: January 26 2017

Bernie_Ecclestone-700x367.jpg

Last August PF1’s Andrew Davies looked into the future and predicted the exit of Bernie Ecclestone. Here’s what he had to say at the time…

It’s hard not to read Autosport these days without seeing some features about the parlous state of F1. And the reason F1 is in a sorry state is really thanks to one man and the adrenalin – or excitement – fix he needs by making deals.

Step forward Bernard Charles Ecclestone.

The ‘paddock line’ from the great and the good in F1 teams – who need to get into the paddock through the Bernie-controlled gate system – is that he has been the saviour of F1, dragging it into the 21st century and making it a multi-billion-dollar-earning sport. They like to compare F1 now to where it was in the 1970s before he organised the teams and improved the TV coverage.

This has become the accepted line even though it is rubbish – many sports have become multi-billion dollar successes without having a small ex-motorbike dealer at the helm. The Premier League, MotoGP, the NBA, NFL and MLB are all doing very well without relying on one man with no succession plan.

Bernie once said that F1 should have no more than 20 GPs “otherwise it becomes like tennis”, i.e. unremarkable. This year we will be having 21 GPs, and the fundamental reason why is that Bernie likes making deals with race circuits and such is the need to make money for F1’s owners, CVC Capital Partners, that the only reliable way he can do it is by adding on GPs.

This has been his blinkered view for quite some time now, hence a rash of short-lived GPs such as India, Korea and Turkey. These races weren’t established to spread the gospel of F1, they were strictly money in pocket. And it’s a shame that neither the Korean track or Istanbul have continued because these were distinctive Hermann Tilke tracks that generated real racing excitement.

It would be fair to say that the races in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi haven’t generated a mass of local interest in the sport, but they have continued because the promoters have deep pockets and are keen to bankroll the events for political purposes. Look at us, we’ve got a Grand Prix. Eh, Azerbaijan.

Bernie is keen to exploit this validation of countries with no real motorsport heritage because it pays the bills. The consequence of this is empty stadiums, a lack of atmosphere and a diminution of the product. The final South Korean GP was so empty it felt like a test session at Barcelona.

The hosting fees he has negotiated for more established circuits are so high now, they have to recoup the massive investment by charging exorbitant prices to the paying public. This has seen a massive drop-off in crowds, particularly in Austria this year, but there are few full grandstands to be seen at almost all the venues that F1 visits.

One of the reason that Premier League football has been so successful is that the crowds add to the sense of occasion. That is why motor races in Montreal, Silverstone, Singapore and Mexico are special. When Max Verstappen passed Rosberg at Becketts you could hear the cheering.

Apart from too many GPs Bernie has now turned his attention to messing up the TV coverage, though ‘mess’ is not actually the four-letter word I was thinking of. When Channel 4’s live .highlights deal ends in 2018, F1 will disappear behind a paywall for the 2019 season, courtesy of the deal he made with Sky.

It’s not going to be a help to the teams who rely on eyeballs-on-logos to sell sponsorship and advertising on their cars. Not only does it reduce the viewing figures, it actually reduces the kudos that sponsors get from backing an F1 car, because it becomes a minority sport. Look what happened to world rallying.

When it comes to the Concorde Agreement that governs the unequal distribution of money to the teams, he doesn’t want to deal with a big co-operative of teams previously represented by (FOTA) the Formula One Teams Association. He likes to make deals with Red Bull and Ferrari and pick them off one by one.

In 2019 when that Sky deal goes through he’ll be 88. He In many ways he is the Robert Mugabe of motorsport; he’s very old, a lot of people wish he’d disappear, nobody thinks he can go on forever (even though he does) but nobody’s going to do anything about it. Meanwhile the sport or the country goes down the pan. One person in the paddock who shall remain nameless (but wears a wig) seriously said, “What are we going to do when Bernie goes?”

Rejoice.

Andrew Davies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:09 am

There may be hope!

BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Oh my BBC .... the BBC I grew up with ... wherefore art thou?; that's the where and the why version.

The Amazon Prime version has taken a while [surprisingly] to find its feet ...

.... as for an American presenter attempting to replace the British version ... ???? .... give me a break; no disrespect to the associate presenters who know far more what they are talking about.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:27 pm

MGV12 wrote:Oh my BBC .... the BBC I grew up with ... wherefore art thou?; that's the where and the why version.

Romeo and Juliet would not be impressed MGV12. The stupid part of the trailer for the new Yank version of the old Top Gear is that when Clarkson, Hammond and May were at the helm the BBC either refused or forgot to insure the cars the presenters drove. And now they have decided that the Yank can't actually drive, they are trying to get insurance. The other two plus the Stig can drive. Clarkson was most vocal about having insurance because even the best drivers have serious accidents..... The Hamster crashed at over 300 MPH and required brain surgery and I bet he got not a penny in compensation for being in hospital for a month.
What are the BBC doing?
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm

And so the fun begins ... surely in no way due to Ferrari being upset by possibly losing an unfair advantage in the amount of money they receive from the FIA!

Ferrari fail to garner support in suspension protest

http://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-se ... n-protest/

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:59 pm

For the many who view this thread and the selected few who actually post on it:

Both the far-from-original and the less-than-equivalent Top Gear have been transcended by YouTube ... check it out.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Not suggesting this is a good example of what YouTube has to offer ... most non-geeks would be asleep within a minute:

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Sounds reasonable with hybrids but with electric only motors converters are not required.
Converters of any type have an efficiency cost. IMHO. :mrgreen:

As for TG we will have to wait a week to see if that debacle with the last presenter can be recovered from. Shant mention his name, shouldn't kick one who is down for the count.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:11 am

Still can't warm to Mutt The Plonker's stilted presentation ... but ... new series Top Gear much better than the last.

How could it not be.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3 ... ark-bench/

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 pm

And here's the new F1 that could change http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-22/f ... es/8374296
Who writes crap like this, the only thing I can see is the rear wing and wider rear tyres and no safety car start in the wet (until the next pile-up on the first corner), then it will be reviewed and be back in.
As far as the Honey Badger's fitness video that's just what he does day in day out, everyone knows that. He doesn't party like some, he's only ever had one girlfriend from state then high school to today, the only thing strange about him is he drinks champers out of a racing boot. Sorry MGV12 I couldn't resist the dig as I've been told that a certain person has made the lists of Men in Black as an alien life form.
Will it make a car go faster with more down force, only around a corner, but not in a straight line, that takes a reliable racing motor and Horse Power along with torque. Have Red Bull got that? Not with Tag Hauer, they make watches.
And sexy? What was the writer thinking. The only sexy car I can think of has M. Munroe at the wheel naked, along with a bevy of beauties all in similar attire with just enough room for you to squeeze in.
Oh well back to boring racing.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Friendly Banter