Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Tempted to post some off topic material in the Building Forums....... Want to talk about football, your neighbor's dog or exchange friendly barbs with other members?? Start your conversations here!!!

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Vehicles you've owned! Plus other vehicle stuff.

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:46 pm

After some requests for more lets see what we can come up with.

This Healey you have seen but it was a fun car to drive.

Sold it to get married. :( :( Think it”s obvious which would be preferred now.

8) 8) 8) 8) Those where the days. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Oh will even throw in a video of a Austin Healey 3000 not mine but you know. :D :D The sound is about right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-cVeejZUBE&NR=1

Next will dig out my first vehicle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Re: Vehicles you've owned!

Postby Nawty » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:40 pm

My first mechanical beast....thats the sleeping quarters on the other side...

File0046.jpg

My next beast.....

File0052.jpg

Before this....

File0043.jpg

then this....well not exactly then this...several others inbetween..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby otis-a » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:12 am

Yesterday in cRai saw an Austin coop looking simular to the cooper mini on 1st glance thought it was a mini but closser look with 'Austin' and slightly enlongated body told me him no mini. Seeing the name Austin reminded me of my 1st serious desire in '68 for an AH, the guy only wanted usd 350. how i wanted the money to buy that little jewel. instead i got a job as dishwasher which afforded me a green Otasco stingray bike for Christmas, far more safe for a 13year old. 2 years later comes a Kaw90cc 2stroke orange. It took afternoon news paper route and weekend evenings as short order cook at local drive-in movie to support the bike mods, subsequent piston / ring failures (speeding tickets), and motoX crackups. But was gr8 applied mechanics to round out my Aeronautic studies in Civil Air Patrol. After a gob of engineering studies, my job pay as teacher assist with Texas Center for Energy studies was enuf above basic survival that i had $100 extra to get my 1st car a 1961 chevy impala. and being mobile was then able to take second job at Texas Instruments as graveyard shift waterwaste & water plant operator. some of the xtra $ went to yamaha 450 and a TI59 programmable calculator. my 1st new car was an 84 Pontiac Fierro. It was a really advanced design mid-engine and well suited to running Death Valley, and the open spaces of New Mexico, Wyoming as well as the winding roads of the Rocky Mountians
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby MGV12 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:50 am

Shortage of pics unfortunately as they are in a file back in the UK.

Three examples of cars I owned and had great fun with:

Lotus Europa ... the original Lotus Elise ... great fun and handled like nothing else I have driven other than pure racing cars. Colin Chapman really knew what he was doing ... light as a feather ... you felt like you were wearing it. Didn't have it long as it was built for small people. GKN built one with a 3.5 litre Rover V8 engine .. would have loved to have had a go!

Ford RS3100 ... one of 250 homologation specials ... there was also an RS2600 built in Cologne. I re-built it from the ground up and then later developed a supercharger system based on the Wade blower ..... drawing through side-draught Webers .... everything sat beneath the standard bonnet ... went like >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :twisted:

MGB V12 ... started life as a fairly rotten [most were as they rusted badly] 1969 MGB GT which I ran as it was for a while [no money] I had a Jaguar XJS company car later and fell in love with that silky-smooth V12 engine. The MGB needed a rebuild badly by then .... one day the crazy idea popped into my head ... stick a V12 in the MGB!

Can't be done 'they' said ... oh yes it can.

Fully road legal and since copied by a few equally crazy folk:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:51 am

I see CTH members not only like building but also enjoy outstanding conveyance.

Otis we need pictures even if you have to use the inter-net to get some. :) :)

Always good to hear not only about the means of transport but how it all came about.

Here is my first truck. Was fifteen so no drivers licence and in grade ten. All my buddies would pile into the back for rides home.

The cops were more lenient and looked the other way in those day. Worked part time even then in construction for the princely sum of 75 cents an hour. Got the big pay as my dad owned the company. 8) Gasoline was 29 cents a gallon so two dollars you were good for the week-end.

This ford had the flat head V8 and a three speed column shift. Not fancy but was my pride and joy and got washed daily. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:47 pm

One 'milestone' car I sort of owned in the mid '80's, I was running a Motor sport Promotions company and it was one of our evaluation cars, was an RS Sierra Cosworth.

A milestone car because they went by very quickly ... it was the first car in which I exceeded 150 mph on a public road ... not too reckless as it was a newly-opened section of motorway early on a Sunday morning and I only saw one other vehicle during the entire period over double the the speed limit; that was a Porsche doing the same thing on the opposite carriageway! Later at a Ford track day I got to evaluate the Sierra Cosworth RS500 [race trim version] ... RS500 meaning the production run was only 500 units ... that produced 550BHP [std car 225PS/222BHP] which was a lot in the '80's :D Ford have recently brought out a road-going Focus RS500 which develops 350PS/345BHP ... as they are all going through the front wheels they can keep it as far as I am concerned.

The RS Sierra Cosworth set the benchmark for quite some time.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby otis-a » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:32 pm

the cars more 2 follow later o
otis-a

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Not one I've owned or ever will but nice.

(Lotus created a buzz in Paris by introducing five concept models, including a radically redesigned Elise and a reborn Esprit supercar — with a midmounted, 620-horsepower V-8 — expected to go on sale in 2013 for about $175,000. )

My test drive of the Evora began, like Mr. Straus’s and Mr. Nagler’s, with modest expectations. But by the time a car-loving, cigar-chewing truck driver named Joe came to retrieve the car, I was surprisingly sad to see it go. As I drove the Lotus onto the flatbed, two children stopped cold on my Brooklyn sidewalk to stare at this life-size Matchbox toy.

“Daddy?” one asked his father, his concern matching my own, “where are they taking that pretty car?”

I wanted to tell him: To sports-car heaven, son. A place where Lotuses run free and never shed their carpets.
BKKBILL

Postby otis-a » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 am

the passport & Ford Econo Van and not least m35-764 the kaiser diesel showed if she dont fire on oxygen snort u fuel pump anit got correct pressure & Ford inline showed if a gas burner runs only with CH2 or C2H6 then u got fuel system problems such as weak but not dead fuel pump and yes dirt dobbers plug off a brake system & keep a close eye on your contractors give em half a chance & u will get ripped same goes for hired help. A wise man once told me if u cant supervise it then do not venture it. good words
otis-a

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:56 am

BKKBILL wrote:Not one I've owned or ever will but nice.

(Lotus created a buzz in Paris by introducing five concept models, including a radically redesigned Elise and a reborn Esprit supercar — with a midmounted, 620-horsepower V-8 — expected to go on sale in 2013 for about $175,000. )

My test drive of the Evora began, like Mr. Straus’s and Mr. Nagler’s, with modest expectations. But by the time a car-loving, cigar-chewing truck driver named Joe came to retrieve the car, I was surprisingly sad to see it go. As I drove the Lotus onto the flatbed, two children stopped cold on my Brooklyn sidewalk to stare at this life-size Matchbox toy.

“Daddy?” one asked his father, his concern matching my own, “where are they taking that pretty car?”

I wanted to tell him: To sports-car heaven, son. A place where Lotuses run free and never shed their carpets.

Yeah Lotus....they look great....have a great power to weight ratio....but the last time I saw somebody crawling in a Elise....that was great...many people arround stopped and were wondering how this works out...ha ha....he must have a spine made of silicon.
Yes when I built cars for "Barbie" they will have less weight! In a Porsche I can at least enter and exit whitout blaming myself!
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:07 am

Well I don’t know anything about building cars for "Barbie" but do know what I’ve liked over the years in vehicles.

Here after the Ford pick-up is my first car.

1949 Ford it also had a flat head V8 and column 3 speed transmission. Took over an hour to clean the white-wall tires. :D :D

The flathead V8 was in production from 1932/54 and was getting old when it was retired. General motors produced an over head valve engine in 1949 few pushrod type engines remain in production outside of the United States market.

These days I think overhead camshafts are the order of the day.
BKKBILL

Postby ningnong » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:17 am

Is this "Cool Thai House" or "Cool Farang Car"? :roll:
ningnong

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."
John Lennon (1940 - 1980)
ningnong

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:33 am

ningnong wrote:Is this "Cool Thai House" or "Cool Farang Car"? :roll:

Guess it is the rolling eyes that prompted me to reply.

Actually it’s Vehicles you’ve owned, Expat Life, Friendly Banter in CTH.

So do you or have you ever owned a vehicle that would be worth the time and effort needed to post or ................

Are you still planning on moving to Thailand in November?
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:39 am

I apologise to all for posting my $3,000 Ford in the wrong thread. I won't say "it won't happen again" because I am fallible.
It was worth posting though. Thanks for not deleting it Bill.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:39 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:I apologise to all for posting my $3,000 Ford in the wrong thread. I won't say "it won't happen again" because I am fallible.
It was worth posting though. Thanks for not deleting it Bill.

Rodger if you owned it or would like to own it you are in the right thread even if it was a Ford.

Oh! Guess I shouldn’t say that as the first two vehicles I owner were Fords.
BKKBILL

Next

Return to Friendly Banter