Pre-stressed concrete planke

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Pre-stressed concrete planke

Postby cangolfbuilder » Wed May 09, 2018 11:21 am

Hello,

Lets say a house design has 6 meters between columns. When you design for the 2nd storey floor do you use 6 meter pre-stressed concrete planks or would you add in an additional beam and use 3 meter planks instead?

Thanks
cangolfbuilder

Re: Pre-stressed concrete planke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 pm

cangolfbuilder wrote:Hello,

Lets say a house design has 6 meters between columns. When you design for the 2nd storey floor do you use 6 meter pre-stressed concrete planks or would you add in an additional beam and use 3 meter planks instead?

Thanks

Most would use 2 X 3 metre planks, however you can certainly get hollow core 6 metre planks though not so easily.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby eyecatcher » Wed May 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Setting up an extra insitu connie beam down the middle and the same time as the rest is definately the most straightforward method.
However as you can appreciate concrete beams are 400/500/600 deep and if you are considering a fancy tiered recessed ceiling then a concrete beam in the middle is going to scupper that idea.

Next option would be to set up a UB or a couple of back to back Channel sections. The concrete plank sections can sit inside the flange thus avoiding a problem with the ceiling. the downside to using steel is often the cost, and long heavy sections require a crane.
eyecatcher

Postby cangolfbuilder » Wed May 09, 2018 5:47 pm

The reason I am asking is because it seems everyplace I see online only sells to a maximum of 5 meters. Will I be able to have 6 Meter planks custom made and still stay within load bearing spec's?
cangolfbuilder

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 10, 2018 12:15 am

cangolfbuilder wrote:The reason I am asking is because it seems everyplace I see online only sells to a maximum of 5 meters. Will I be able to have 6 Meter planks custom made and still stay within load bearing spec's?

The answer is yes, you can order planks custom made, but you must wait for at least a week if ordering through Thai Watsadu.
Roger Ramjet

Postby cangolfbuilder » Thu May 10, 2018 8:06 am

Thanks for the responses.
cangolfbuilder

Postby Klondyke » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 am

You can look around in the area, there are companies providing concrete prefabricates of any size any shape.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu May 10, 2018 7:49 pm

cangolfbuilder wrote:The reason I am asking is because it seems everyplace I see online only sells to a maximum of 5 meters. Will I be able to have 6 Meter planks custom made and still stay within load bearing spec's?

Those are probably the solid concrete ones, you should look for the hollow core ones.
Sometimewoodworker

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management