Constructive criticism of my house plan wanted

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Constructive criticism of my house plan wanted

Postby mikenot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi people ....
I think we are starting to get somewhere with our ideas ( it would be a lot quicker if the missus was more pro-active with some ideas forthcoming instead of saying "no, not like this" :wink: )
This plan is 142 sq.m. interior, plus about 30 sq.m. on the patio although I think I will probably extend that from 3m to 4m wide.
2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, an area for her Buddha and other mumbo-jumbo, a small storeroom and a bit of an office/work area for me. Western kitchen inside, but nothing too fancy, and an area outside for the smelly stuff. AAC 15/7.5cm walls, and colorbond roof if I can convince the missus that it is NOT just a tin roof !
floorplan.JPG
Floor plan

materials.JPG
15cm AAC for exterior walls, 7.5cm for most interior walls.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG
front view

landscaped.JPG

A preliminary landscaping idea, will definitely have the workshop/outdoor toilet building to the right of the house. The land is 40m x 40m, minus a bit at a couple of corners, on 2 levels with the house on the front part about 50cms higher than the rear garden area.

Any ideas, or can you see something that I have missed ?
mikenot

Re: Constructive criticism of my house plan wanted

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:07 am

A couple of points.

I would probably have the Thai kitchen rotate 180 degrees so access is from the patio.

I would also 1st reduce the size of the Buddha area then ask SWMBO if it's big enough. You may well find that smaller is better for her and that a bigger bedroom as a result can be a deciding factor. You can always change the size back.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Andyfteeze » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:27 am

I agree, you need to change the kitchen. It wants easy access to points of usage. Do you really need a dining room? Why not combine the kitchen and eating area. By removing the wall separating the two, you have easy access to the patio and eating area. You can shrink that dining area on your plan this way, which frees up some space
Another idea is to have a big sliding /folding window above the kitchen sink leading to the patio for easy food access. It gives a great al fresco feel.
Front door is out on its own. Put it under the carport, very handy in rainy season. Also protects the door from the elements.
Try to minimise the number and size of windows on the sunny side( sth side I think)
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Your office should be turned 90 degrees so that it doesn't cut half the room off. Having it where it is you are making a fair sized roof into a small one with a cubby hole. If you move it 80 degrees you'll gain the benefit of an office with natural light from a window.
Looks like a good Aussie bush home, but I would have the veranda running all the way around.
Roger Ramjet

Postby mikenot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys ...
re the Buddha area ....the missus has one of those big fancy tables, looking at it I would estimate 1.3/1.4m wide. Buddha has to face the length of the house, cannot look at a wall, into a bedroom or toilet apparently so it has to go there. Need a window to ventilate the incense :) , but it cannot go behind the Buddha, so will have to be between table and bedroom wall. A casement window would be narrower but I'm a bit wary about having a casement window opening out into the carport area. I think the bedroom is big enough, it's certainly larger than in our condo here in BKK, or at her room at her sister's house. The columns across are 3.5m centre<>centre so I can change that to 4m if perhaps I change my mind.
buddha_bedroom.JPG

The Thai kitchen ...yes, originally it was on patio level but the chef says she wants it on ground level, but I figure the counter top will make a good work surface for the charcoal burners and/or to serve up food so we will see.
thaikitchen.JPG

Inside kitchen/dining area ..." Why not combine the kitchen and eating area. By removing the wall separating the two, you have easy access to the patio and eating area'
At the moment there is an archway between kitchen and dining, and between dining and living areas, so I think access is ok with a free flow through the house, good for ventilation, but I was thinking last night that perhaps sliding doors across those might be a good idea to close up rooms if air-con is on ? Have to ponder on that.
" have a big sliding /folding window above the kitchen sink leading to the patio" Andy, a good idea, :!: , will make the window bigger.
kitchen.JPG

"Front door is out on its own. Put it under the carport, very handy in rainy season. Also protects the door from the elements"
As I said above, Buddha has already claimed that side access :( . I did try for a normal porch area at the front door, but I could n't figure out anything decent, it all looked strange next to the media/tv room bit of the house. At the moment I've drawn it up with 1m eaves to keep rain off ....how wide can you go realistically before you need supporting columns ?
I'm planning on a pergola out the front to keep most of the sun and rain off the doors. The "landscape.jpg" in the first post was not very good, this is what I have in mind :
pergola.JPG
Something like this with nice thick foliage to keep sun and rain off ?

"Try to minimise the number and size of windows on the sunny side( sth side I think)"
The land faces north-west, so the patio roof will block the afternoon sun on the south-west side, we will have to plant a couple of trees to stop the early morning sun hitting the bedroom window from the south-east.

"Looks like a good Aussie bush home, but I would have the veranda running all the way around."
Yes, that was the original inspiration. It started off as a long straight bungalow with a verandah all around but then I decided to make it shorter but with the side extension for the media/tv/office. Ultimately I might extend the pergola further around along the front and besides the patio.
Actually, calling it an office is a bit of an exaggeration, all I need is a large desk, filing cabinet and room for a dry cabinet for my photo gear. Workstation would be a better description. I think this will be plenty big enough :
workarea.JPG

Thanks for all your input, Mike.
mikenot

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:34 pm

mikenot wrote:Thanks for your thoughts guys ...

At the moment I've drawn it up with 1m eaves to keep rain off ....how wide can you go realistically before you need supporting columns ?

We have 2.5 metres on three sides two of those have no supporting columns, one has decorative columns. At the front we do have support but then the unsupported area is quite wide as I remember it is a minimum of 5.5 metres the outer 2.5 is unsupported.

We don't have a tile roof we are using colourbond so the roof isn't heavy.

Links are in my signature.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby mikenot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:We have 2.5 metres on three sides two of those have no supporting columns, one has decorative columns. At the front we do have support but then the unsupported area is quite wide as I remember it is a minimum of 5.5 metres the outer 2.5 is unsupported.

We don't have a tile roof we are using colourbond so the roof isn't heavy.

Links are in my signature.

OK, sounds good. Colourbond is on my planning list too so I might change the eaves to 2 metres at least.
mikenot

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 pm

mikenot wrote:OK, sounds good. Colourbond is on my planning list too so I might change the eaves to 2 metres at least.

Remember the old rule of support. What sticks out 2 metres must have 4 metres support inside, if your not putting in pillars. It's actually quite a good rule of thumb.
Roger Ramjet

Postby roy.sokolowski » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:01 pm

I would recommend a larger, covered outside area. Thailand is tropical and you will be able to spend much of your time out of doors,
roy.sokolowski

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 pm

roy.sokolowski wrote:I would recommend a larger, covered outside area. Thailand is tropical and you will be able to spend much of your time out of doors,

I concur. To expand a bit, the more roofing/shade you can put in the better. Have an 8' (okay @~2.5 meter) deck/lanai and the overhang like 2 meters PAST the deck, or as far as reasonably possible given the slope, isn't going to cost you much more but make a BIG difference. Put in them extra posts/supports and cover that sucker with as much overhang if you reasonably can. It shouldn't block the breeze (much, if any), if you're lucky enough to have one, but it will help block the sun and heat. Frankly I'd rather have a 1 meter deck with a 2 meter roof than a 2 meter deck with a 2.5 meter roof. Regardless of the direction, more coverage the better me thinks :D
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Sorry, but this screams "HOT", even for our modest climate in Hawaii, much less in Thailand....
HOT1.jpg
HOT1.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 98 times

I recommend li' 'dis:
HOT.jpg
HOT.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 98 times

Even if you have to add supports like this:
HOT3.png
HOT3.png (148.05 KiB) Viewed 98 times
kmanonmaui

Postby kmanonmaui » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:then ask SWMBO if it's big enough.

I finally Googled this SWMBO I've seen so many times but never bothered to look up. 555555, so accurate. I'm going to start calling my misses Swam-Bo and wait tell she asks me WTF I mean to explain. Sweet!
kmanonmaui

Postby mikenot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:13 am

kmanonmaui wrote:Sorry, but this screams "HOT", even for our modest climate in Hawaii, much less in Thailand....
HOT1.jpg

I recommend li' 'dis:
HOT.jpg

Even if you have to add supports like this:
HOT3.png

I will have to disagree with you here, a foliage covered pergola like that was not hot back at my home in tropical Australia where it gets just as hot as Thailand. Adding wider legs is not going to increase either airflow or the amount of shade, and having shade cloth or foliage down those extended sides would decrease airflow and obstruct access. The location is also on the north side of the house, and is not meant to be the main outdoor area, but mainly to keep sun off the front doors.
The main outdoor area is the 10 x 4 meter covered patio area, plus another couple of smaller areas/salas planned for later landscaping.
But thanks for your input.
mikenot

Postby mikenot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:39 am

roy.sokolowski wrote:I would recommend a larger, covered outside area. Thailand is tropical and you will be able to spend much of your time out of doors,

The patio, now widened an extra meter to 4m x 10m long, is large enough for the two of us and the occasional family member...... I don't want to encourage too many of the tribe to come around and raid my bar fridge ! :D
Eventually I may also have a covered pergola area between the patio and the workshop/outside toilet building, with maybe one of those common, ugly, concrete chair and table combos for the tribe and keep the good patio furniture for people who can appreciate it. But that will be down the track, about phase 4 or 5.
mikenot

Postby kmanonmaui » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:45 am

mikenot wrote:But thanks for your input.

Not a problem and I don't mind it being valued at cost :D
kmanonmaui

Next

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management