Exterior CMU Wall vs. Steal to Stucco Finish, Basement

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Exterior CMU Wall vs. Steal to Stucco Finish, Basement

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:21 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:
sirineou wrote:in the US also.
I know the pump you are talking about, dont forget to bring a check valve with you to keep the water from backing up in your sump.
Look forward to seeing how you make out with the metal studs exterior wall. Will you be using DensGlass board for your sheathing and how easy is it to get in Thailand.I have googled it with no success.

Never heard of DensGlass actually, but just Googled it. No, was planning on using exterior gypsum board (hoping that is available) as this is not for waterproofing.

Thanks!
-k-

Having heard of a few cases of problems with exterior usage of gypsum board I would be looking into sherawood or equivalent as I haven't heard of any problems with those.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:37 pm

[/quote]
Having heard of a few cases of problems with exterior usage of gypsum board I would be looking into sherawood or equivalent as I haven't heard of any problems with those.[/quote]

Thanks. Shera Wood appears (from my search) to be more of a finish board for the exterior...maybe looking at the wrong sites. I suppose I could just get some 3/4 or 1 inch concrete board for this purpose and then use a roll-on exterior water membrane and get both the smooth surface I need across the posts and framing as well as some additional water-proofing. If I wrong about the usage of this product can you note a website on it please?

Thanks!
-k-
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby kmanonmaui » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
kmanonmaui wrote:
sirineou wrote:in the US also.
I know the pump you are talking about, dont forget to bring a check valve with you to keep the water from backing up in your sump.
Look forward to seeing how you make out with the metal studs exterior wall. Will you be using DensGlass board for your sheathing and how easy is it to get in Thailand.I have googled it with no success.

Never heard of DensGlass actually, but just Googled it. No, was planning on using exterior gypsum board (hoping that is available) as this is not for waterproofing.

Thanks!
-k-

Having heard of a few cases of problems with exterior usage of gypsum board I would be looking into sherawood or equivalent as I haven't heard of any problems with those.

Never mind. Think I found the one you are talking about at http://www.searaeu.com/boards.html . Looks good!
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Previous

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management