Stone, Metal & Glass

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Stone, Metal & Glass

Postby andymac » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:48 pm

007.jpg
Installing the surface drainage channel.

008.jpg
Channel connects to an underground pipe that feeds into the pond

009.jpg
Concrete pour for driveway

010.jpg

011.jpg
The bamboo is temporary until the teak panels are ready.

012.JPG
Eye in the sky - drone view.

013.jpg
Rendered walls painted white and planting completed.

I'm pleased with the progress on this small diversion project and very pleased indeed with how it turned out. I think I will keep the bamboo gates for the time being, I may forego the teak panels.

Next up will be the delivery and installation of the windows and doors, they're being fabricated in Bangkok at present. Hopefully I'll also try to get the garage roller doors installed at the same time, except I haven't decided whether to go with remote controlled doors or manual operation.
andymac

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:35 pm

Good to see progress Andy, If you keep the bamboo don’t forget to have it sealed does look good.

Auto doors are a nice treat in this rain. :)
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Welcome back to the rainy season Andy ... today it has never completely stopped raining here.

Makes keeping the jungle at bay challenging ... let alone getting on with other projects.

Chok dee

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby andymac » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 pm

So after a slight diversion to construct the main entrance while we had the stonemasons available, it's now back to the Garage/Studio. Actually all the major works are now finished, now we're just looking for some interior fit out works to be completed.

Here's some photos of the garage doors being installed, same spec as the roller door we used for the garden store, except this time we went with powered operation and remote control.
IMG_4376.jpg

The large panels on the floor in the foreground are the box covers.
I will probably remove these later on, I decided after they were installed that it actually looks better with the roller doors exposed.

IMG_4377.jpg

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4381.jpg
Part of the multiple control boxes being installed

IMG_4604.jpg
Final product, very smart

IMG_4506.jpg
The white roller doors against the rusty steel and stonework make a great composition
andymac

Postby andymac » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:12 am

Remember this from page 1
Stone Pavilion rev 07 01.jpg
Stone walls - Metal beams & roof - large Glass facade

We decided back then to build the garage and studio first to test out the design and construction details. Well we're very pleased with how the garage turned out, the colorbond roof performs great, rain noise is not a problem and thermal transmission is ideal.
The Q-con block walls also contribute in keeping the space pretty cool and of course the stonework is wonderful.

Stone Pavilion rev 07 02.jpg
So we've decided to make a start on the Stone Pavilion.

DJI_0294.JPG
Playing around with pvc pipes to get the orientation right.

DJI_0300.JPG
Orientation is south east

IMG_4591.jpg
This will be the view from the large 9 x 3m glazed facade
andymac

Postby andymac » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:07 pm

IMG_4655.jpg
Orientation and setting out complete, time to start the excavation

IMG_4658.jpg
We have the excavator for the day to dig out 11 holes for the footings

IMG_4657.jpg
Footings to support the stone walls are 2 x 2m

IMG_4664.jpg
Quick progress

IMG_4688.jpg
The holes are huge over 2m deep

IMG_4685.jpg
Excavating 180 cubic meters of soil needs to go somewhere

IMG_4661.jpg
Most of the surrounding garden survived undamaged
andymac

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Good progress Andy hope it goes to plan. Garage looks great.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:02 pm

There's a whole resort called X1 built out of the same material that looks spectacular. Just feed X1 into Google.
Roger Ramjet

Postby andymac » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks Bill,

It's been quite a journey so far and touch wood everything's gone according to the plans.
The only issue I'm struggling with is finding somebody who can make up some contemporary built in furniture.
So any info, suggestions or contacts greatly appreciated.

I should be back over this weekend, six weeks away is tough :(
andymac

Postby andymac » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi RR,

I take it you're referring to the X2 resorts?
I did see them and was tempted to go and check them out, see how they did their detailing, but never got around to it.

I do plan to have stone facing on the interior too, but the central core walls will be white, hopefully I can avoid the over powering cave look.
andymac

Postby andymac » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:52 pm

Here's some shots of the construction of the footings, we have a total of 11 footings supporting 19 posts.
IMG_4700.jpg
The blocks are only temporary support for the rebar until it was tied up, they were removed before the pour

IMG_4714.jpg
The mixer arrives, reversing down the drive

IMG_4742.jpg
The challenge of getting the concrete to the furthest footings

In fact access for the big trucks is becoming more of a challenge, trying to avoid ripping up the driveway and garden.
I will have two 9m length steel I beams to be installed. We will most likely fabricate on site by welding a six meter length plus extra bit.
I'll still be looking at a crane to lift them in place, that will be interesting.

IMG_4719.jpg
Resourceful bunch

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg
The twin posts will be to frame the 1 meter wide stone walls

IMG_4769.jpg
Three single posts down the centre for mid support
andymac

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:45 am

andymac wrote:I take it you're referring to the X2 resorts?
I did see them and was tempted to go and check them out, see how they did their detailing, but never got around to it.

Yes, sorry X2. There's nothing overpowering about them inside or outside (I think because they are so well spaced apart) and one complete wall facing the sea is all glass with a mechanised blind that covers the whole thing when the sun shines on them. The views are astounding, especially from the second floor.
It would be worth a trip to look at them and to see where they went wrong. The cement used is the same colour (grey) and ruins the rock work and in places where they used bamboo as a privacy screen they put all the concrete posts in the wrong way, which have now come lose due to the wind rocking the bamboo fence continuously and the fact they forgot to cement them in.
For something so well designed, the finish was was not the best with wooden doors that didn't close, didn't slide (bearings rusted) and generally ruined the whole experience, along, of course with the poor food and the expensive spa bath sitting out in all weathers (which didn't work).
The decking around the pool would have been okay if they had bothered to use a tape measure and some were 6 inches short and others 6 inches too long and were starting to rot on the ends as they hadn't been treated. They also forgot about the steel being rust proofed under the decking and you could see the steel wouldn't last too long.
It's a pity really. For a resort designed to be top end it only attracted Thais who gushed over it in their reviews, and the Farangs that had been there were all disappointed for the amount they paid, especially with the direct drainage onto the sandy beach that was turning black, just like the rest of Cha Arm and Hua Hin.
The sea wall was also undermined and in bad need of a serious fix.
I would hate to not have a car and be stranded there at the mercy of their "head chef", especially as absolutely fresh succulent sea food could be bought 15 minutes drive away and cooked on the spot.
Roger Ramjet

Postby andymac » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:00 pm

RR

The X2 villas do look pretty impressive in the photos and I would still like to go have a look and see if I can pick up any good ideas, it's finding the time these days is a real challenge. Unfortunately what you describe is something that happens far too often here, good design let down by poor workmanship and or lack of maintenance. We stayed at the X2 in Chiang Mai, but that was a city centre garden villa, different style altogether. Brand new at the time and without the signs of wear and tear.
Our Stone Pavilion will be single storey with the main floor raised 80cm off the ground, that will make the stone walls 4.4m in height, big enough I think :D
andymac

Postby andymac » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Here's some recent photos showing the construction of the footings and posts ready to support the ground beams.
IMG_4832.jpg
Final tweaks to the formwork before the concrete is added

IMG_4838.jpg
Frantic bucket work

IMG_4842.jpg
These posts will support a hefty ground beam that will support the big stone walls

Stone Pavilion rev 11_04.jpg
This is the general idea for the structure

IMG_4865.jpg
All finished for the day, finally peace and quiet
andymac

Postby andymac » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:41 pm

IMG_4868.jpg
Formwork off and plastic wrap on

IMG_4873.jpg

DJI_0370.jpg
Top left is the front facade with the mountain views

I'm looking forward to backfilling those holes and get back to a level playing field again.
It's difficult to visualise at times with all the mounds of earth obscuring the vision.

Stone Pavilion rev 11_01.jpg
And this is the vision we're aiming for

The interior space will be 110 sqm and one bedroom, that's pretty big by Hong Kong standards anyway :D
We've decided to forego the fireplace and have a window with a view of the pond.
andymac

PreviousNext

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management