Stone, Metal & Glass

For general discussion of:
1.) Project management or other professionals used during the project.
2.) Anything related to house design tools and applications. This would be an area to share and get feedback on your ideas for a house plan.
3.) Architectural styles used within Thailand.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Stone, Metal & Glass

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:49 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:SSR = Steel and Solar Roof formally Intertech

Sometimewoodworker wrote:I can see that you have a cliplock roof with insulation attached with a radiant barrier incorporated. SSR do not offer this option on cliplock now. It is probably one of the better choices if it's available.

If Steel and Solar Roofing (formally Intertech) no longer supply PU foam with a radiant barrier incorporated they still show insulated factory applied foam on their website http://www.steelandsolarroof.co.th/en/gallery . If they no longer supply then they have just lost my support and I'm sure other members support as well.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:18 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:SSR = Steel and Solar Roof formally Intertech

Sometimewoodworker wrote:I can see that you have a cliplock roof with insulation attached with a radiant barrier incorporated. SSR do not offer this option on cliplock now. It is probably one of the better choices if it's available.

If Steel and Solar Roofing (formally Intertech) no longer supply PU foam with a radiant barrier incorporated they still show insulated factory applied foam on their website http://www.steelandsolarroof.co.th/en/gallery . If they no longer supply then they have just lost my support and I'm sure other members support as well.

You must have missed reading that they supply that kind of insulation for other roof profiles, there are quite a few, just not for the cliplock system.

You can easily see that the profile of metal shown in the gallery is not cliplock. Your insulation was not fitted into the profile in the same way as the profile shown as you show in your build.
image.jpg
from the SSR website http://www.steelandsolarroof.co.th/en/gallery

It is easy to understand why as a cliplock profile would need the insulation cutaway at the fixing points.
image.jpg
Insulation will prevent cliplock clips engaging

Of coarse TIT so someone else may get a different answer.

BTW do you remember the details of your roof install? One or more days for the top? How the insulation fitted around the clips?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby andymac » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:18 pm

Some updates from my latest trip :D

First off big thank you to Bill and Ken and their better halves for dropping by, great to see you all.

A successful trip, we achieved a lot in spite of the crazy heat. The target this time was to finish the rendering, raise the land at rear, make a start on the stonework, finally get mains electricity connected, make a start on the entrance construction and have another go at the waterfall. Tall order for a week :D

IMG_2640.jpg
Land already raised at rear and only the upper wall still to be rendered

IMG_3532.jpg
Stone delivered, stone masons arrive tomorrow to begin their work

The clock is ticking, we need to get the upper walls rendered and the waterproof sealant applied to the walls before we can make a start on the stonework.
IMG_2668.jpg
You gotta be kidding me!

IMG_2669.jpg
Working late into the night to get the job finished

IMG_3533.jpg
One side done

IMG_3559.jpg
Two sides done, make a start on applying the Sika Topseal 107, messy stuff

IMG_2671.jpg
Second delivery of stones arrive, now we're set to start the stonework
andymac

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Thanks for having us Andy, made for an enjoyable day. Seeing a build first hand did remind me just how much work is involved to accomplish a dream here in the land of smiles. I enjoy following your project and that will only improve now after seeing it first hand.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby andymac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Before I get into the awesome stonework photos - a quick recap.

This garage/studio build is a test build for the Stone Pavilion shown on the first page. I'm testing the materials and design concepts on this before we go full steam ahead with the main build, hopefully later this year. So we have a dual metal skin insulated Colourbond roof, a variety of Q-Con wall types from 10cm single skin, 7.5cm double skin cavity and 10cm plus natural stone facing. Glazed openings will be a mix of double glazed units and single 11mm thick laminated units. This should give me a good idea of the insulation properties of the choices we've made.
If we're going to have a hot interior due to the stone walls retaining too much heat or the roof insulation not working, I'd rather find out with garage than the main house. The same for any water leaks or damp penetration, rather find out now and revise the design before starting on the main build.
However, so far so good, it looks like everything is working out just fine, fingers crossed that continues.
andymac

Postby andymac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:28 pm

The Stonework

As you know the "Stone Pavilion" (page 1) will have the two main structural walls faced in stone, hence the name. So I wanted to include the same materials and construction details on this build. My builder was honest enough to say he can't do this type of work and he didn't know anyone who could. I spent months searching for somebody who could, literally knocking on doors asking - who built your stone wall? I finally found somebody who looked like they had the skill and track record, I then waited almost six months before he was available to do the work.
I believe it was worth the wait.
andymac

Postby andymac » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:57 pm

It's a team of three brothers, no English understood and my Thai is typically nit noi. But I was pleased when they delivered the stones that my colour range communication was understood, warm golden sandy colours, with minimal grey and black.
We have Sika Topseal 107 applied to the Q-Con wall plus a waterproof additive to the cement for the stones. They have a 10cm depth to play with.

IMG_3562.jpg
The first stones are placed

IMG_3561.jpg
Team of three brothers

IMG_3567.jpg
Craftsmanship takes time, every stone is carefully checked

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg
Stone against the Corten Steel on the right

IMG_3578.jpg

So this is the end of the first day, I'm told it will take them three days to complete this wall. It's now late afternoon and the colours and textures really pop :D
andymac

Postby schuimpge » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:36 am

Stunning..
schuimpge

Postby pipoz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:30 am

Very nice, I presume its a type of Sandstone

pipoz
pipoz

Postby andymac » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 pm

pipoz wrote:Very nice, I presume its a type of Sandstone

pipoz

Yes I think it's the Sandstone family, my GF is tasked with finding out the name, still a work in progress :)
andymac

Postby andymac » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Some update shots of my favourite wall from different times of the day.
IMG_3613.jpg
Early morning

IMG_3647.jpg
Late afternoon

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg
Work starts on the corner detail

IMG_3639.jpg
Wall between the garage doors

IMG_3649 (1).jpg
Corten Steel and stone

IMG_3608.jpg
Utility building on the right, the space between will be the al fresco dining area

And that's as far as they got by the time I was ready to leave.....
andymac

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Does look good Andy you were right on about the steel, stone together. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby andymac » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Here's some shots of the area outside the studio where I plan to have the al fresco dining area.

IMG_3269.jpg
Drain run to the septic tank before we can raise the land

20160314_150457_resized.jpg
Excavating footings for retaining wall posts

20160315_163100_resized.jpg
Rebar for retaining wall

20160324_164041_resized.jpg
Everything but the kitchen sink being used to brace the formwork

IMG_3491.jpg
Retaining wall looking pretty solid

IMG_2637.jpg
Land raised, area looks so much bigger now

IMG_3571.jpg
Trees added to provide privacy

Next job is to lay down paving stones, so first we will put down 10cm of gravel and topped with sand to level the area. Also need to install drain gratings for the roof run off. I'd like to get that done before the wet season arrives. BBQ can come later :D
andymac

Postby MGV12 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm

andymac wrote:Here's some shots of the area outside the studio where I plan to have the al fresco dining area.

Next job is to lay down paving stones, so first we will put down 10cm of gravel and topped with sand to level the area. Also need to install drain gratings for the roof run off. I'd like to get that done before the wet season arrives. BBQ can come later :D

Your retaining wall looks the part ... even if the 'great floods' ever arrive!

I am envious of the stone walling ... superb!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby andymac » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Updates Updates Updates

It's been a while since the last updates, unfortunately I've been very busy with work and only managed the occasional long weekend trips to Thailand, so progress is slow for the garage/studio. Currently we're just finishing the installation of the surface drainage channels, just in time for the wet season. We will have further updates later in the month when we have the windows and doors delivered.

However, in the meantime I decided to make a start on the main entrance seeing we had the stonemasons available. I'm reasonably confident not too much could go wrong while I'm away. :D

001.jpg
This is how the entrance looked when we bought the property almost three years ago.

002.JPG
And here's the temp entrance that we had for far too long. (Lost the old longan tree in a recent storm)

003.jpg
Finally here's the design I prepared a couple of years ago.

004.jpg
The main block walls are 3.2m high and the structural opening is 4m

005.jpg
Stone facing again makes all the difference.

006.jpg
Rendered walls complete, the proportion looking good.
andymac

PreviousNext

Return to House Design, Architecture & Project Management