Coloring Grey Cement to be Light in Color

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Coloring Grey Cement to be Light in Color

Postby dozer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:15 pm

There are a number of members either currently involved in projects with colored cement which is good for making a very artistic looking exterior or interior render coating. I'm interesting in this method for an upcoming project and so have been looking at a couple of CTH members projects and thanks for the help....

Here is one thing I am looking for and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or any idea how to find it here.

First some background. For coloring cements for a render coat one of two types of cement is normally used; the traditional grey cement (like sua) or a white portland cement. The grey cement (ie sua) has the advantage that it is cheaper (50 kg for 120) than the white cement (which is 20 kg for 180) and also the white cement is not made specifically for the render application (where the grey is) and likewise may have more of a tendency to crack over time.

The color pigments are sold in 5 colors, yellow, red, yellow, blue, green. The problem comes into play when attempting to come up with lighter shades of colors using the grey cement. With the color of pigments and the grey color cement, the colors will be darker - light shades are not possible. This is where the white cement is normally used.

However, as I was reading here http://www.hoovercolor.com/about/faq/#answ8 (a color pigment distributor in the US) - there is a commonly used light tinting agent that is used as a pigment to lighten colors (ie a 'white' pigment). There is tons of information on this material on the internet which is called Titanium Dioxide TiO2. There is a good definition here: http://www.plasterarc.net/essay/essay/CassarT.html

As of yet I haven't had any luck sourcing this material here. Has anyone seen it or know where it can be found in Thailand?
dozer
Site Admin

Postby dozer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 am

There is a lot of really good information here. There is also really good phone support if you call the contact number, a person with knowledge of all of the uses of white cement will answer your questions.

http://www.siamwhitecement.com/

The product I was looking for is called NatureWhite. I am going to get a sample today and try playing with it to lighten the color of grey cement. It is based on calcium carbonate (from translating) not titanium dioxide, but it is the same idea, a natural pigment which lightens the color. They recommend using it in white cement if you want true white, but will also most likely be usable to lighten the color of grey cement.

Also, confirmed that white cement can be used for rendering. Most problems arise because the surface is allowed to dry prematurely.

Please anyone new doing 'paintless' surfaces -- please post your experiences to the cement category.....
Last edited by dozer on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby atlas_shrugged » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:59 pm

I found a source for titanium dioxide in Bangkok if you're still interested:

http://trade.indiamart.com/details.mp?o ... =8&cat=132

Also, my builder told me cracks in render come from not wetting the underlying surface enough. He says they have to wet it the night before rendering, then again before rendering. Sounds like they have to keep the render wet after rendering, too.

-Atlas
atlas_shrugged

Postby dozer » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:37 pm

That is a good contact, I am trying to get a sample bag. I called today. The price, by the way, is 1950 dollars per metric ton.

You are correct about white cement. The company Siam White Cement will send a full information package to anyone that calls, you can find the number on their website. It is really great, it includes a CD and instruction manual. The cover various uses for white cement in good detail, including external/internal wall rendering.
dozer
Site Admin

Re: Coloring Grey Cement to be Light in Color

Postby missiongrowers » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:43 am

so what was the results with the white cement? i was told you need to coat (seal) it or it will be chalky? is this true with other cement colors?
missiongrowers

Postby dozer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:55 am

A silicone sealant is recommended and should be applied every two years to minimize any discoloration or fungus growth.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby missiongrowers » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:10 am

can you please recommend a product name? is it applied with a roller? im considering using siam white cement on the floors.

i assume a silicone sealant would be a film sealant rather than a penetrating sealant?

is a sealant also recommended for acid staining? a product that both seals and dyes at the same time seems attractive. anyone found such an animal is los? http://www.adcsc.com/dnsdyes.htm
missiongrowers

Postby missiongrowers » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:25 am

anyone found any additives to color cement in LOS, other than acid wash?
missiongrowers

Postby geordie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:09 pm

missiongrowers wrote:anyone found any additives to color cement in LOS, other than acid wash?

if you are looking for a specific you can use the search engine at the top of the page to look through old threads i have bumped sutch a topic hope it helps
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby dozer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:06 pm

can you please recommend a product name? is it applied with a roller? im considering using siam white cement on the floors.

i assume a silicone sealant would be a film sealant rather than a penetrating sealant?
Dulux has one brand of silicone sealant but I am not sure of the number. You can find the Dulux silicone sealant or select any other brand at most larger construction related stores such as homeworks. The sealant can be applied with a brush or roller. It is a penetrating sealant.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby missiongrowers » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 am

thanks for that info...i'm still looking for a one step application product but may have to resort to the multi process method if i cant locate it in los
missiongrowers

Return to cement, concrete and mortar