drain pipes for forms

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

drain pipes for forms

Postby chorizo » Thu May 24, 2007 8:57 am

This is for Jazzman, i see in ur photos you used drain pipes to form some of your columns..this looks like an easy way..question is..is there asbestos in the concrete mixture and would that not be dangerous? Or does the finish work on them eliminate the problem ?
My contractor is using the drain pipe but said he will cut them off later because of the asbestos..leaving a 30 CM column, that size is ok with me.He says the last 10 years they have been using asbestos in drain pipes..??
Bet the workers do not have masks on when they cut them off...
Appreciate an advise from you, Jazzman.

Chorizo
chorizo

Postby jazzman » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Hi Chorizo,

I must have missed this posting. You've probably gone ahead anyway but here's the answer for anyone joining this thread now:

Using drain pipes for colums is a common practice and the finished effect can be very nice. It certainly saves a fortune on formwork. We are going to cover ours with some light green, matt mosaïc tiles. We are using the pipes for all the columns of our hexagonal sala too.

There is no asbestos in them. They are made by our local cement and concrete supplier in the village.
jazzman

drain pipe forms

Postby chorizo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 pm

We did go with this, we had to go with a smaller size to start with, could not find the 30cm ones that day. So they rendered it to size with wire mesh in the form, looks great. I have 3 columns on my front terrace and two on the terrace off my bedroom.They will be painted. I am glad i seen this in your post, Jazzman, i think if one did it thru out the whole house it would look nice.
Thanks, Chorizo
chorizo

Return to cement, concrete and mortar