Proper Way to Plaster

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Proper Way to Plaster

Postby oneday » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:08 pm

A question to anyone who has experience with plastering or has watched it being done...do you see Thai workers, who are plastering a block or concrete wall, applying water to wet the concrete first before applying the plaster?
oneday

Re: Proper Way to Plaster

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:22 pm

oneday wrote:A question to anyone who has experience with plastering or has watched it being done...do you see Thai workers, who are plastering a block or concrete wall, applying water to wet the concrete first before applying the plaster?

The answer is yes, the crew I used used those worn-out fibre "brooms" to dip into the bucket of water, flick it on the wall, then render. I helped them by adding a dash of Lanko to their bucket. I also got them to mix the render with Lanko 751 instead of straight water.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:46 pm

We normally refer to it it a Splash Coat, which is a mixture of cement and water into a slurry and yes, make sure they flick it onto the block work with a broom or a 6 inch wide hairy paint brush. I personally would add into the slurry mix, a little Bondall BondCrete or whatever the Thai equivalent is.

I think Sika (in Thailand) have one called Mono Top 610 and there is another one call Rockmax Latex floating around the Thai market.

Also wet the block wall down before you start, so it doesn't such the moisture out of the splash coat to quickly.

If yet a good bonding splash coat and you are half way home

pipoz
pipoz

Postby oneday » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks all. I thought this had to be done, but just wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about first. The tip on additive to help the bonding was great.
oneday

Postby groucho » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:30 am

I used LANKO 751, for all my walls and floors .. if you can't find it you can use FLEX-77 Super-Bond.
groucho

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:42 am

groucho wrote:I used LANKO 751, for all my walls and floors .. if you can't find it you can use FLEX-77 Super-Bond.

You're a wise man Groucho. Sika also make similar products equally as good or so the shop people tell me.
A 1,000 baht investment of a 5 gallon drum of Lanko 751 before a build is the wisest investment anyone can make.... I think I used 4 or 5 of them in the end. The render people loved it and said it made the render smooth as silk and twice as easy to apply.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Psychic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:40 pm

I've noticed that if render has cracking problems later it is almost always on the posts. Is this caused by movement of the foundation or beam? Is there a way of preventing it?
Psychic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Psychic wrote:I've noticed that if render has cracking problems later it is almost always on the posts. Is this caused by movement of the foundation or beam? Is there a way of preventing it?

If you are referring to the columns or beams I used "chicken" wire on all mine. Any place that was just cement I anchored chicken wire to it with concrete nails.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Psychic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:16 pm

RR, yes the columns. I have seen numerous examples of where they are level with the rest of the wall (almost always breeze block) and have had render applied. Later the rest of the wall looks ok but there is vertical cracking along the edges of the columns.
Are you saying you applied chicken wire on the columns before the render? I am just wondering why the cracks always seem to occur there in the first place.
Psychic

Postby groucho » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
groucho wrote:I used LANKO 751, for all my walls and floors .. if you can't find it you can use FLEX-77 Super-Bond.

You're a wise man Groucho. Sika also make similar products equally as good or so the shop people tell me.
A 1,000 baht investment of a 5 gallon drum of Lanko 751 before a build is the wisest investment anyone can make.... I think I used 4 or 5 of them in the end. The render people loved it and said it made the render smooth as silk and twice as easy to apply.

Actually I was wise enough to read a few of your early posts about LANKO 751.

For a broader confession I have to apologize for not contributing more to CTH regarding my build of 20 months. A 350 sq. meter, four story shop house in Bangkok. Words can not describe the daily trials, and tribulations that I have endured. The successes, the failures (never my fault . . err except not stopping them earlier), you know it goes on and on. I have gotten great information from CTH, and I promise to reciprocate in kind with plenty of photo's when I have a moment. My deep respect to all that that have taken the time to photograph and detail their projects. Seriously how to do find the time?

-groucho
groucho

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:45 pm

Psychic wrote:RR, yes the columns. I have seen numerous examples of where they are level with the rest of the wall (almost always breeze block) and have had render applied. Later the rest of the wall looks ok but there is vertical cracking along the edges of the columns.
Are you saying you applied chicken wire on the columns before the render? I am just wondering why the cracks always seem to occur there in the first place.

Because I used superblock and hence superblock render mix I got the builder to cover all the columns and beams with chicken wire. There's a photo somewhere in my build. I have to admit I saw it done in Australia by two master builders otherwise they wouldn't have done it here. It's the different material and that materials expansion that causes the cracking.
groucho wrote:Words can not describe the daily trials, and tribulations that I have endured. The successes, the failures (never my fault . . err except not stopping them earlier), you know it goes on and on. I have gotten great information from CTH, and I promise to reciprocate in kind with plenty of photo's when I have a moment. My deep respect to all that that have taken the time to photograph and detail their projects. Seriously how to do find the time?

I actually felt it was quite theraputic to off-load all my trials and tribulations on the rest of the members. I changed many things by listening to the members and when the floods came I went back over everything that had happened and changed more things. It was like keeping a personal diary about everything that could and did go wrong, then off-loading it on the members and getting it off my chest. Would I change anything if I did it again? Yes, if I even think about doing it again then I should be locked up and the key thrown away as I'd be stark raving mad.
I think anyone contemplating building here should read at least two or three builds first. I know I did and I was cheering and booing as I read through many of them. If I hadn't read Building in Don Tau It Katchanarburi by Apetley I might have bought a Jaguar and that would have spoilt half the fun..... and I wouldn't have anywhere to park it either.... now I have a place to park it but no Jaguar.
How do people find the time? They just make time, I was posting photos at 4am sometimes. It's always hard to sleep when there are major cock-ups. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby Psychic » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:41 pm

Ok thanks for the info and tips. I'll dig up the pics from your build RR.
Psychic

Return to cement, concrete and mortar