What kind of masonry cement is the best one for brick laying

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: What kind of masonry cement is the best one for brick la

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Khunchai wrote:What is the advantage of using AAC superblocks instead of standard red bricks?

Easier to lay, load bearing, quicker to lay, simpler than red bricks, easier to keep straight... the list is endless.
Superblock and AAC are the same.
You do not use masonary cement, you use AAC "glue" cement which is applied sparingly... less than 1/16th of an inch.... sorry I can't recall what that is in metric. You save on massive amounts of masonary cement as little is used, the AAC blocks are by far stronger than red bricks, provide insulation from the heat, are easier to lay, easier to cut and the AAC people will come out and give a free demo if you ask them.
There are a variety of "superblocks" in Thailand.... I think three or four manufacturers and every store will be delighted to order them for you. If you get them direct from the factory they come on pallets and the truck has a crane to lift them off. If you have breakages the company will normally replace them.
I used double 7.5 superblock with with an air-gap and ran all the electrical and plumbing inside the walls. Other members have used the 20 ? ones which are mostly for load bearing walls.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Khunchai » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Thank you very much for your information.

As far as I can understand there are no load bearing walls in my new house, please take a look here.

There are 13 foundation columns with very deep and large footings.

So I believe that "double 7.5 superblock with an air-gap" will be suitable for me.

I would like to see a picture of this particular superblock.

What is the exact size of this superblock?

What is the Thai name of this superblock?

How to choose good quality superblocks?

There is Global House and Mega Home in my area.
Khunchai

Postby thailazer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:43 pm

khunchai....We used the Tiger Green on our build with red bricks and it worked well. There were several bags left over and it worked well for my small projects which used gravel aggregate and forms. We laid our bricks flat rather than on the edge like the Thai's like to do. Makes for a much more soundproof and cooler wall build up as that puts two air columns in the wall to the outside, but it does use more brick. All the electrical routing was milled out after the mortar was well set.
thailazer

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Khunchai wrote:So I believe that "double 7.5 superblock with an air-gap" will be suitable for me.

I would like to see a picture of this particular superblock.

What is the exact size of this superblock?

If you start here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=585 you'll see the tool for laying the glue as well as the bracing straps and if you read on you'll probably get all the answers to the questions you posed.... along with a lot of photos. I used a variety of superblock due to the floods.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:05 am

Already answered
Sometimewoodworker

Postby cooked » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:34 am

I am a bit puzzled by the question as far as I know, 'cement is cement'. I never in my life worried about what cement to buy, it is all made in the same way.
Anyway I never saw these brands as mentioned.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby Khunchai » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:55 am

I am not an expert in house construction. I just wanted to use the best cement.

According to this article:
The best and most expensive hand-mix is elephant brand red (chaang). It is about 10 % more expensive than the tiger brand.

Where to use this cement?

As nowadays everyone seem to use a ready mixed CPAC concrete for the floor, beams and foundation columns :?:

Please correct me if I am wrong... :oops:
Khunchai

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 am

Yes you would use CPAC usually for big pours, but there is nothing wrong with mixing on the job if they keep the quantities right and take it easy with the water.? An electric mixer is easiest otherwise cement /sand/water and stone last in a tub is the way most do it. Also a sharp sand or River sand is preferable for concrete then the soft sand as is used for brickies mortar or rendering. If your guys are experienced they will sift the sand through shade cloth with water to get any small bits of stones out of it when rendering to get a smooth finish.
Mike Judd

Postby Khunchai » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 am

How do I know that the workers are using the best possible CPAC concrete mix for the floors, beams and foundation columns :?:

How to check this :?:

We are about to sign an agreement with the construction team. How to specify it in the contract that they should use the best possible CPAC concrete mix grade :?:
Khunchai

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Khunchai wrote:How do I know that the workers are using the best possible CPAC concrete mix for the floors, beams and foundation columns :?:

How to check this :?:

We are about to sign an agreement with the construction team. How to specify it in the contract that they should use the best possible CPAC concrete mix grade :?:

Specify that they use only use CPac http://www.cpac.co.th/cpacweb/index.php not any other readymix company.
Do the research on this board for the strength of concrete needed for each application, it's here,
Specify that you have a slump test on every delivery before permitting the concrete to be off loaded. CPac is probably the only company that will do it and it is free.
Be present for every concrete delivery and make sure that they do the slump test and that no water is added after.

Understand that if you are not there for every load you will get substandard concrete.

Understand though you may trust your construction team they will probably accept any concrete because it is easy and if your not there you will never know anyway.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby big40fella » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:10 pm

http://www.mitre10.com.au/downloads/pdf ... icking.pdf

Try this link, only found it recently
big40fella

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:57 am

I think there is enough info on Super block or Q-Con on this Forum to answer all your questions, but there are basically so many options with using them it's a no brainer really. That's why as mentioned most builders are using them. My Guy had never used them in his life before but had no problem adapting to the thin glue method of laying instead of cement mortar. Even the thinnest ones ( 75m.m. ) leave more of the wall after any chasing out for any pipes or conduits than those little red bricks , why they don't start making them a decent size is beyond me.
Mike Judd

Previous

Return to cement, concrete and mortar