Wet Delivery???

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Wet Delivery???

Postby oneday » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm

See video.

I would love opinions as to whether or not anyone thinks this concrete mix, that was delivered tonight, is too wet. It sure looks awfully wet to me. This is our first delivery and we won't go back to them for any further deliveries if I can get some expert advice. It was supposed to come at 3pm and did not get there until 7pm.

One more piece of information -- this pour is all going into the footers and ground beams formed by dirt on all sides except the top. So the concrete will have a lot of the water sucked out into the surrounding dirt and maybe that is why it is so wet or at least it won't be so bad. I hope.

IMG-20140430-WA0006.jpg
After the pour.
oneday

Re: Wet Delivery???

Postby vanda » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Can't view the video, says it's private. You'll have to set it to public viewing before we can see it. The concrete does look to be a bit wet from the photo, did you have them perform a slump test before the pour? Which supplier did you go through to get your concrete?
vanda

Postby oneday » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:53 pm

vanda wrote:Can't view the video, says it's private. You'll have to set it to public viewing before we can see it. The concrete does look to be a bit wet from the photo, did you have them perform a slump test before the pour? Which supplier did you go through to get your concrete?

Changed video to "Public".

I am not on-site. For this wall build my wife is handling it. I taught her a lot before this and she is doing a good job, but I failed to have her have them do a slump test. She did say the video was taken right when it first came out and very soon it got thicker. Hopefully you can view the video now.
oneday

Postby vanda » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 pm

From what I can see in the video it looks quite wet as it's appears to be pouring very quickly. From what I've heard and also read on these forums is that quite often the cement trucks will carry enough concrete to supply more than one customer to avoid returning to the depot to fill up. To prevent the concrete drying out too much they put more water into the mix and take it to the next customer. The ideal amount of water in the mix should be just enough to make it workable not self-leveling. If you scroll down to Step 2 at this website:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/masonry/p ... e/view-all

click through the photos there and it will give you an idea of what your concrete mix should and shouldn't look like. Bare in mind concrete can have additives in the mix, plasticizers, that will make the concrete easier to work and appear to be watered down a bit, this is generally used for certain applications where it may be difficult to have someone work the concrete into place.
Always have a slump test done with any delivery of concrete and if you're not satisfied send it back.
I personally wouldn't accept any delivery that didn't provide a slump test.

Some of the other members here, that have spent more time with Thai dealings of concrete, may be able to tell you more, this is my understanding from various sites I've worked around Australia. Hope the info has helped mate, best of luck!
vanda

Postby thailazer » Thu May 01, 2014 6:35 am

Premix operators have wet mix all the time so they can run it down the chutes. After our footings were poured from sloppy pre-mix, we had the crew mix it as not only was it dryer, the process control on the amounts of aggregate and cement was much better. The crew would make these pyramids of buckets before the cement bag went in the mixer. All it takes is a stuck hopper gate at the premix plant and the whole load is bad.

edit: Just saw the video and that was very wet! It should have traveled down the chute a lot slower, with an occasional shovel used to pull it along.
thailazer

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu May 01, 2014 7:02 am

Way too much water http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3485&start=30 shows both usual sloppy mix cement and slump test showing that it can and should be done. Probably only CPac will do it. And it's free.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Mike Judd » Thu May 01, 2014 7:40 am

There has been enough posts on concrete mixes, it is a problem for us Farang's as we are used to the correct methods being used mainly. There aren't enough ready mix companies it seems in most areas outside Bangkok to weed out the bad suppliers, their trucks and particularly their chutes are dirty with dry concrete so lots of water is needed to get it moving in the first place. Then again the best of them ( I consider mine good workers) still seem to have no idea of how important it is to take it easy with the water, keeping the concrete separate from the dirt and that you only have a limited time before the mix starts to go off and adding some more water to soften it is not the answer.
Mike Judd

Postby oneday » Thu May 01, 2014 7:26 pm

I know what correct concrete should look like, I know Thailand has a problem with too much water, but I have also read that deliveries from CPAC are usually more controlled with the ratios. I was more concerned about the workers adding water to the mix as it came off the truck, I wasn't prepared for a company to deliver it that way. I hadn't read about problems with that. Now I know the problems with too much water exists at every level.

I just wanted confirmation and comments and that I got. Thanks for all the replies.
oneday

Return to cement, concrete and mortar