Bathroom Tile Mortar

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Bathroom Tile Mortar

Postby groucho » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:59 pm

Hello,

I will start tiling my first of four bathrooms soon, and researching what mortar to use. I am trying to find out what mortars are used in swimming pools, figuring they have the best waterproofing attributes. Actually I will be using 6x6 swimming pool tiles on my floors. Going through the Crocodile catalogue of Tile Adhesive (Dry Set Mortars) I am somewhat confused by the product descriptions. After reading through the individual data sheets for Platinum, Gold, Silver, etc. I read under Limitations that the ones I thought would be good are "for In interior dry areas only"?

I would be grateful for any advice, or experiences using thin set mortars for bathing areas.

Thanks,

-groucho
groucho

Re: Bathroom Tile Mortar

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:49 pm

groucho wrote: I am trying to find out what mortars are used in swimming pools, figuring they have the best waterproofing attributes.

The mortar used in swimming pools is latex mortar.....see below.

groucho wrote:I would be grateful for any advice, or experiences using thin set mortars for bathing areas.

Water-mixed mortar or dry-set mortar is a form of thin-set mortar. It is a combination of Portland cement, sand, and an element that promotes water retention. This mortar is simply mixed with water and is beneficial because it allows the adhesive to hydrate.
Latex mortar and acrylic-mixed mortar have additives that increase adhesion and lower water absorption, and either is perfect for wet or dry installations.
Epoxy mortar is made from sand, cement, resins, and hardeners and is more expensive than most other tile adhesives. It is a good option when the setting bed is not compatible with cheaper adhesives.
Medium-bed mortar is applied thicker than the rest — 0.25 inch (6.35 mm) — making it a strong option that is best for handcrafted tiles or those with uneven backs.
Hope that helps.
Roger Ramjet

Postby groucho » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for the advice, then Platinum Crocodile Thin-Set Mortar has the latex characteristics you mention. I will also check out some other brands.

-groucho
groucho

Postby groucho » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:18 am

At the Swimming Pools Thailand website they say that Crocodile recommends "Tile adhesive Red Crocodile". They also have an instructional video (in Thai) showing how to prepare and lay tiles using Red Crocodile. However there is no mention of latex in this mortar mix.

-groucho
groucho

Postby groucho » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 pm

I decided to use WEBER 2-in-1 Tile Adhesive Mortar with water preventive additives ( 385 baht a bag), used in swimming pools, bath rooms/wet rooms. Twice the price of the Red Crocodile mortar.

-groucho
groucho

Return to cement, concrete and mortar