Source for AAC (Q-Con)?

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Source for AAC (Q-Con)?

Postby MH2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 pm

I am building a house using 20cm AAC blocks throughout. I know these are available in Thailand, since they were recommended to me by a local architectural firm that I spoke with some time ago. This was also confirmed by my (now ex) architect. However, my builder is telling me his source is out of stock, and there is no timeline for availability. I find this difficult to believe.

I am concerned that my builder may have been put on a "blacklist" by my ex-architect, who abandoned my project when I complained of watered down concrete. Apparently, he has contacts in the industry who will do him favors, as he managed to blacklist my builder with the local CPAC supplier--not just for my project, but all of the builder's projects. Fortunately, there was another local concrete provider otherwise I'd have been in a world of hurt, as would be the totally innocent builder I contracted with. Anyone else have this experience? Know if the "shortage" is real or imagined?
MH2

Re: Source for AAC (Q-Con)?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:25 pm

MH2,
There was a shortage both before and after the floods, however, that appears to have been fixed. It will depend on the supplier for the local region. I had to travel to about 10 small building suppliers to get the remaining 1,000 odd blocks for my build. Currently Thai Watsadu in Bang Bua Thong has about 1 million sitting in their supply yard, so I don't think supply is your problem.
There is a way around all the problems by going directly to the local agent for AAC blocks.... that's how they work here, through agents. If he says he won't supply, then you know your builder has been blacklisted for whatever reason.....however, when I ordered through the agent (3000) there was no mention about who was building the house.
I hope that helps.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MH2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:09 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:MH2,
Currently Thai Watsadu in Bang Bua Thong has about 1 million sitting in their supply yard, so I don't think supply is your problem.

Is that 1 million 20cm blocks? The builder says he can get 7.5cm blocks, but I want the 20cm blocks.
MH2

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm

MH2,
MH2 wrote:Is that 1 million 20cm blocks? The builder says he can get 7.5cm blocks, but I want the 20cm blocks.

I have no idea what size they are, I just saw them from a distance, but as I said previously, AAC Q-Con blocks have to normally be ordered through their agent.....unless one of the large suppliers has them in the yard.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:29 pm

20cm Q-Con blocks used and always per preorder and complete truck loads!
Never a problem to get them but prices went up from little bit over 60 bath to nearly 80 bath per block.
I ordered at the local Home Mart as they were the authorized dealer.
Maseratimartin

Postby MH2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:17 pm

@Maseratimartin

Maseratimartin wrote:20cm Q-Con blocks used and always per preorder and complete truck loads!
Never a problem to get them but prices went up from little bit over 60 bath to nearly 80 bath per block.
I ordered at the local Home Mart as they were the authorized dealer.

I gave up on this post since I didn't get many replies. Just now saw yours. When was the last time you ordered 20cm blocks? Do you have a phone number for your supplier (Home Mart)?
MH2

Postby Kiwi65 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Maseratimartin
I am new to this site, but it looks to be very helpful.
I am also considering using 20cm QCon blocks.
What has been your experience with quality??. ie breakages, strength??.
Are you using a confined concrete structure (columns beams) or are you using them as load bearing walls??

Do you have experience with fixing doors, windows to the block''

Any other experiences you have had will be most welcomed.
Kiwi65

Return to cement, concrete and mortar