correct base for pr cast columns

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

correct base for pr cast columns

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:06 am

Whats the correct footing for a pre cast column, I saw my neighbours opposite just dig a very shallow hole and drop them in, not even sure they poured concrete round them.
So to summarize, Id dig a hole about a metre deep chuck in some thin concrete layer ( how thin) for the column to sit on using blocks for formwork, then some steel or not?? and top up with concrete.
Or maybe a 20cm thick layer of concrete with steel in for the column to sit on then just topped up with concrete to ground level etc?
I saw this in sometime woodworkers sunshade but some reckoned it was OTT
I have to start the "new maids house" and it will be very VERY cheap.
Good news for CTH member is we already have a guesthouse for you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gliffaes

Re: correct base for pr cast columns

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:15 am

gliffaes,
gliffaes wrote:I have to start the "new maids house" and it will be very VERY cheap.

Then why worry about columns?
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:15 am

gliffaes wrote:I have to start the "new maids house" and it will be very VERY cheap.

Then why worry about footings?
gliffaes wrote:Good news for CTH member is we already have a guesthouse for you

No thanks. :D
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:28 am

Why worry about worrying?

With the ground your patch of dirt appears to sit on you don't have any of the concerns of those members who chose to build on a bog ... swamp ... area prone to flooding.

Just get them [assuming you aren't now doing even this on your own] to dig holes [50cm x 50cm will do] until they hit something hard ... minimum 50cm deep if that occurs too early. Make life easier for plumbing the posts by leveling the bottom of the holes with concrete ... minimum thickness will do. Drop the post ... plumb it vertical ... fill up the hole with concrete. Then pour a slab that ties it all together. Way simple for the simple shack you are intending to build and probably over-engineered in comparison to that which millions of Thais have built over the years. If you don't have a cutter to trim the tops of the posts to get them level afterwards you will have to faff about getting the bottom of the holes level with each other.

Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. ~Swedish Proverb

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to cement, concrete and mortar