Crack on tiles !!!!

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Crack on tiles !!!!

Postby Sunpax » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 am

I have a big probléme... I have now 2 m very fine crak on tiles upstairs , right along the beam ! and another 1 m opposite but also along an other beam ....lopk like a square perimeter is moving !!!

is it coming from the ciment under the tiles ? or from the chape ? or from the slabs ? or from the beam ?

is it dangerous ?

What can I do ?

Thanks
Sunpax

Re: Crack on tiles !!!!

Postby canopy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Get a qualified engineer to inspect it. Ask at the Amphur if you don't know any.
canopy

Postby Sunpax » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:26 pm

I would better ask what can I do myself !!!

I Have NO trust anymore in engenner and other people here !!!! they are all incompetent .
Sunpax

Postby canopy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm

lol, I know the feeling. Builders are often inept, workmanship poor and building codes ignored, all meaning major issues become commonplace. Whatever you do, I would not bother with any builders advice, especially the one that made it. The Amphur usually have qualified engineers on staff. As in the first post, the key word is qualified. This could be life threatening so get an expert, and fast.
canopy

Postby Sunpax » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 pm

well I had a look at google pages on this probleme ,seems that its an expansion of the concrete chape over the precast slabs !

the house fondations looks right...the vertical pilars are looking good

the floor are still horizontal.....the visible horizontal beam along the stairs are good ! so because its the same concrete ..i think the beam under the crack are good too

the part that has been moving are support by 2 m long precast slab

if the crack get larger I will...make open the gypsum downstairs and take off the tiles upstairs...

By anyay...I don't see what a suppose ingeneer will do more ?

bean B10 to B4...
the B10 has 12 x 20 mm steel and more steel in the middle than other beams ! and is big : 0.45mx0.20m

on the net..this kind of probléme happen often to news houses...because they still moving :( and because that has no membrane coat between the slabs and concrete chape...
Sunpax

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 pm

I think you answered your own question Sunpax. Concrete will move if the tiles are installed properly they will crack. Think you have it right keep close watch. Frustrating but IMHO not life threatening.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 am

It's all about expansion joints with concrete slabs and with big areas of tiles, not something Thai's are big on. Another area is under slabs resting on brickwork, they need to be-able to slip back and forward with expansion ,other wise the top course cracks, nothing structural just unsightly sometimes. Have a look on your next visit to the Service station for gas, if the concrete slabs are not set out in approx max 6mt X 6mt areas, there will be cracks everywhere. The same in the new Shopping centres with the tiles, you will see brass strip joints if it has been done correctly.
Mike Judd

Postby Sunpax » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am

I have a 50 m2 tiling area in one time , without expansion joint !!! or mambrane or something else :(

If I had this information before !!!

Its an other big strss for me , i sleep other the cracking area !!! and I canot put my bed in an other place due to bathroom or door or windows !!

I am sill very concerne about that (afraid)...That for sure I am not an ingeneer or archictect or builder even not a man ..lolll

Need to learn everything myself alone....now i know a little more about construction...building and other but !!!

I see that concrete science is not exacte ! and its can be a multiple cause for my probléme !!!

Then searching for informations about concrete slab and floor....plywood come often in the discussion ???

Do you Uk and USA people are building your upstairs floor on Plywood and then put concrete over ???
Sunpax

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:18 pm

The average Thai construction is entirely different from western methods where the walls usually take all of the load bearing of additional floors, whether they are concrete or more often all timber. Unless you are a western builder, it's best to stick to the Thai method of everything from the roof down supported on the columns and beams. Without photos or seeing the cracks it's hard to comment on what path you should take. Some one obviously needs to have a look to see how serious your problem is , whether one of our members who is not too far away could look, or as suggested an independent engineer's report might be the only way. I understand your reluctance to go that way, but as long as he doesn't have a vested interest in the outcome, it might be your best bet.
Mike Judd

Postby John » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Don’t panic and don’t lose sleep. Hair line cracks in tiles laid over beams that support pre stressed floor slabs is quite common. There are many reasons why this happens but its rarely a due to a serious structural defect .
I very much doubt the crack will widen but it might increase in length.

As for the lack of expansion joint theory, forget that idea in this case.
John

Postby Galee » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Apparently the last thing the guy in America said before he disappeared down that sink hole was, "have you seen the crack in this tiiiiillllle. " :D

Sorry Sunpax, couldn't resist, only joking.
Galee

Postby hansened » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:17 pm

if you find solution to tiles on roof you can't get to.. ket me know

i'm seeing a hi pressure sealers; spray on for silione or anything to seal some holes. can't get up on it ; hard to get under it.

sure seems to be in demand for a extendale tube to spray on at any pressure using a paint compressor or any 1-4 bar hose to get it done !

:)
hansened

Return to cement, concrete and mortar