precast concrete planks

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

precast concrete planks

Postby wally » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi,
Could someone kindly tell me where I can buy 5 metre long good quality precast planks, prestressed if possible or even hollow core in surin province.
Many thanks, Wally
wally

Re: precast concrete planks

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:29 pm

wally,
Those lengths are 'custom" ones, but if you go to Thai Watsadu or major building suppliers in your area they will order them for you.
Roger Ramjet

Postby thailazer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 am

Find a PCC Concrete company in your area and you can get virtually any length and design. They even have pre-fab buildings now. We bought 3 planks 4 meters long for a bridge stressed for 3 axle concrete loads. 5000 baht each. Floor planks are around 300 baht each for 4 meter lengths and they will come out to your place and measure for a custom fit. They laid our second floor planks in under two hours for over 90 square meters.
thailazer

Postby jazzman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Concrete planks are called pan peun in Thai. Ask in almost any hardware store and they will tell you where you can get them. They may even be able to order them for you. Get several quotes though and watch out for the special farang prices!
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby wally » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks all for replys, the planks we have seen when in los have been of variable quality and although they are only part of the floor with mesh and concrete on top I do not want the finished floor to fail especially as most room sizes are 5mx5m square on a 2storey house. Maybe we should use ply shuttering and concrete the entire floor ourselves if we cannot find planks that give me confidence.

Something else, is there a quicker way to lift ready-mix up to the second floor ring beams than in buckets as we did on ground floor,although this worked well with 12 of us in a bucket chain and was a lot of fun where the lorry could not reach.Can we hire a crane or rubber conveyor as we wish to do in one pour.If you can help, many thanks ,wally
wally

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Wally,
Firstly on the precast concrete planks: If you have a look at my build Nontharburi/Pak Kret you'll see I used all custom lengths, some well over 4 metres long. I detailed it all with many photos including how to do it properly using and brace it properly. If there is any problem with the precast planks they will give you replacements. If you start at this page similar questions were asked, to which I tried to give detailed answers including the use of Lanko 154? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864&start=405
Ply shuttering is used for the bathrooms as they are lower than the floor of the structure, or should be.
The easiest way to lift the concrete up to the whole house, including the ground floor is by crane, they come with a 1 metre bucket and should cost about 6,000 baht for the whole day. Even the ground floor requires a crane in many cases due to access restrictions. It is also far simpler to pour the beams with it as well. The bucket brigade is only used if you miscalculate and need to mix the last bit on site.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:28 am

wally wrote:Thanks all for replys, the planks we have seen when in los have been of variable quality and although they are only part of the floor with mesh and concrete on top I do not want the finished floor to fail especially as most room sizes are 5mx5m square on a 2storey house. Maybe we should use ply shuttering and concrete the entire floor ourselves if we cannot find planks that give me confidence.

Something else, is there a quicker way to lift ready-mix up to the second floor ring beams than in buckets as we did on ground floor,although this worked well with 12 of us in a bucket chain and was a lot of fun where the lorry could not reach.Can we hire a crane or rubber conveyor as we wish to do in one pour.If you can help, many thanks ,wally

As RR has said you can get a bucket and crane, you can also get a rubber conveyor, one of the threads here has one, you can also get concrete pumps here. As to costs had where that is another matter. But they are all in Thailand.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:you can also get a rubber conveyor, one of the threads here has one,

Can't remember the exact cost but it wasn't expensive ... you need to book well ahead to ensure it's available when you need it.

Conveyor.jpg
Conveyor.jpg (53.05 KiB) Viewed 1616 times

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby wally » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi, Many thanks for your help,we plan to come out to Thailand again this year to continue our build and will look for a crane and will visit someone near surin who we are told makes good concrete planks.
Again many thanks, Wally
wally

Return to cement, concrete and mortar