drying times

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

drying times

Postby fredlk » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:41 am

I was told by my architect to wait 2 weeks before putting heavy objects on the freshly-tiled floor, my present builder says 3 days, my chemical engineer nephew says 1 week.
I am inclined to believe the 1 week, but would like to hear from others how long they think it will be before I am able to park a car on my new garage floor without denting it.
fredlk

Re: drying times

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 am

Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:24 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:http://www.tkproduct.com/Curing%20Concrete.PDF

I've read all those but was wanting to hear the expert opinions here on the ground in tropical Thailand (in the rainy season).
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 am

I don't think it is so much a function of putting a dent in your tiles and or cement.( the cement will easily support the weight of the car after a day), as it is a function of the tiles separating from the cement.
I would play it safe and wait a week before I park my car on the tiles.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:52 am

I would go with the builder 3 days but avoid harsh movement on the steering and wheelspins
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:59 am

sirineou wrote: I would play it safe and wait a week before I park my car on the tiles.

Being a cautious optimist I was planning on waiting 10 days. Thanks, I'll shorten it.
geordie wrote: avoid harsh movement on the steering and wheelspins

That's difficult to avoid if a certain golden chariot turns up and reverses in with a heavy load, but in my Suzuki with its 1242 CC engine and CVT gearbox there's not too much wheel spin.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:42 am

The reason I posted the site and did not write was simple; if the builder kept the concrete covered during the curing process, if the concrete had a curing additive, if the concrete was ordered as "slab" concrete (2700) and if the builder laid plastic underneath to stop the water leaching into the soil, if the concrete was not exposed to direct sunlight..... All those damned if's that nobody can give an answer to and then the tiles, if the tile layer used the correct cement, if he used an additive, if he knew what he was doing, if they were spaced properly, if the grout used was suitable.....nobody can answer that question but you.
The curing time for concrete for tile laying is a minimum of 7 days if all the above was done correctly, if it wasn't then guess.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:59 am

RR you speed reading :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the concrete has been down weeks ?? the question was how long for the tiles to set before parking a car ? because the tiles are laid on an almost dry mix my reckoning was three days should be enough with caution
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:19 am

Geordie,
Totally correct, IF they used the right adhesive cement, if it was grouted correctly and if they were lade correctly. All those ifs.
I had a similar problem with my tile man, he wanted to use the cheapest meanest nastiest adhesive cement he could get his hands on, whereas I wanted the best for the job (most expensive). As I was doing the buying I won. At least I know they won't lift, were grouted correctly and sealed properly.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:07 pm

would that not be "cure" time not "dry" time ?
Makmak456

Postby fredlk » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Makmak456 wrote:would that not be "cure" time not "dry" time ?

I wanted the title to read: "how long they think it will be before I am able to park a car on my new garage floor without denting it." but it was too long.
Read cure for dry or ham for cement, I'm easy. :lol:
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Makmak456 wrote:would that not be "cure" time not "dry" time ?

.... and curing takes from at least 28 days to much longer so no it should read DRY and not CURE.
fredlk

Return to cement, concrete and mortar