Thailand ready mixed concrete deliveries

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Postby striker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 am

geordie wrote:Tip when your truck arrives climb the ladder and look knowingly inside the truck they can and will short change you (a meter delivered for cash en route) the reality is if they chuck in some more water you cannot do anything but guess whats in there its when you find that the three meters ordered fill two thirds of what you expected ?? inconvenient to say the least this gag is common in the UK

for the layman its impossible for him to do a spot check on the payload and get it right.(and if your measurements are accurate,this will certainly show up very quickly on a short payload)

the striker was a concrete driver in the middle eighties, as for the dropping off enroute and adding water etc etc quotes ,no way, why would you risk your job, better ways to do it, in those days
the rorts were always between plant operator/ batcher and driver, and many a time there would be left overs from pours, to get a extra quid without risking your job, and i guess these days with all the computer programmes operating you would nt be able to get a extra bucket load of concrete, out of the yard, and that includes thailand
striker

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Stalker re read what i said digest it then try understanding my geordie accent you are confirming what i said other than challenging the thefts as to how
Given the weight batch nature of the yards the drivers have little recourse other than to steal "your" concrete in the stonhenge when you were working as a driver times were a lot more lax than they are now i have had reputable UK companies short load me and drivers try and tell me i mis calculated by 1-1.5 mtrs i have also caught out a driver claiming he had an extra couple of meters if i wanted it he had done this three times to my mate before i got there I asked first how Terry his boss was ! secondly why Terry who personally saw all six trucks loaded had allowed him to leave overweight ? he gave back the money when he realised i was a freind of his boss if you have a full load it should be that a full load if it falls badly short of your estimation something is wrong recalculate and find out what it will usually mean you have been short changed if the driver is not resposible it may well be the yard ? the boss wanting to up profits i know as quoted above the exact same thing for loose materials i had two loads that looked short so i mesured the truck cubed it and got the boss here ? she knows what her truck holds so why blame the driver you cannot put 3 mtrs into a truck that holds 2.25 without spillage in this instance it barely toouched the side,s she apologised begrudgingly and sent out another mtr still not as much as she had robbed from me maybe i am just becoming cynical because all of the above is common practice taking things on trust is asking to be mugged look like you know can act as a detterant
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

thailand ready mixed c/crete deliveries

Postby striker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:00 pm

during my time as a concrete driver, never at any time, was there any thought to nic part of a load, enroute to a customer, and i worked for a very large company at several different yards..the flavour of the day, back then, was to nic the company,( foreign orders ) as posted to morning
still have friends in the game, perhaps sometime back ,they told me the good old days(foreign orders) were finished long ago(computer age).
will see one of those friends very shortly and get a update on any new rorts
as for thailand have had umpteen of loads delivered and not at anytime was there, a short payload, have had delivery times cancelled, and at times deferring deliveries for one to three days, that was irratating, to say the least, but never a short payload
your experiences , certainly surprised me, but tell me, where is there a perfect world
Last edited by striker on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
striker

Re: Thailand ready mixed concrete deliveries

Postby sirineou » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Short loads is not a problem, a simple calculation of the area poured will tell you precisely what was delivered http://www.concrete.com/calculators/concrete-materials-calculators

The problem is usually of not having the correct PSI delivered, that's why in the industry, we take sample cores and test them.
and of the load sitting in the truck too long, and having to be rejected.In Thailand where adequate delivery logs might not be present, I am sure a driver might be willing to add some water to the load before taking it back to the plan. For that a slump test is always advisable.

<Video repositioned - mod>
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Stalker something that intrigues me you mention having spare left in the truck ?? i have never ever heard of a driver leaving a delivery site without washing out his truck small or large sites the format has always been the same the load is emptied like it or lump it not always convenient if you miscalculated and had "overs"
I have way since lost track of the amount of shortages received and untill i built for MIL i was always on the ball there i fell short a meter ? 1/3 of the load but being a farrang its a natural assumption that i am stupid
I pointed out to the driver i would be speaking with his boss i can accept a 1/2 dozen barrows either way
but on a slab pour even ground ??? Not a chance i was wrong
Blatantly obvious and also pointed out to the driver was the previous pours!! his load fell way short of the area covered which is strange as it was a continuation of the same slab after that i climbed the ladder every load and looked in :mrgreen:
It was enough to stir up some honesty when the exact same game is played you start to recognise it
which country are you from with this unusual honesty ? certainly is not uk
geordie

Postby striker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 am

apparently you have received short payloads in two different countries, a very very rare occurence, in my experience as a concrete driver and a customer in thailand,as i previously said its not a perfect world, and in your cases, i guess, you can,t help bad luck
my posts on this thread, was only to highlight ,that this practice is in the minorty, and there is no need to be mountain climber and check the incoming load, where a simple calculation is only needed( as sirenou pointed out, and i did the same on my opening post, first line in brackets) to pin point a short payload,if so follow the chain in command with a smile and i am sure a amicable agreement will be met to suit both parties
striker

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 am

How naive and condacending "I have been unlucky in two countrie,s" wake up and smell the coffee UK has a department specifically to keep check on this sort of robbery =weights and measure,s
You must live in utopia wheras i live in the real world :|
Try and argue a short load when its been laid ! you have no way of proving it your calculations will be brought into question was the ground dead level were there hollows did you lay a membrane ! no ? ah well its soaked into the ground ! :(
As a user of concrete for more years than i can care to think my working life started on a batch mixer not an experience easily forgotton stone in one box sand in a second box cement in 45,ish kilo bags the machine could batch a cubic meter using scales on the bucket you had a large pan on a dragline you walked behind
The good news was it did not matter the stone and sand was from a quarry = delivery note stating empty weight of truck weight on leaving time left it must work they still do it exactly the same way today with deliverie,s to builders merchants !! cement is easy count the bags
Mix all three materials with water and the quantities become difficult to asses "DIFICULT" but not imposible especially when you have a formwork ready to accept the stuff
Listen to the bull you get when you have 3mtrs of stone delivered along with 3 meters of sand ?
Its comical when some halfwit is trying to explain the two stacks are different because the stone is heavier
maybe so but a cube is a cube whatever the weight sometimes greed is the motivation sometimes incompetance but either way as an end user you will be the one that bought fresh air ?
I seriously doubt that you have "always received" the quantities you paid for in any walk of life standard measures evolved to counteract the short change merchants but it cannot stop them from trying
Would you buy a gold chain without checking it was gold ?
I am as most people are aware disabled yet i still climbed the ""moutain"" to look inside the cement truck so its not beyond most people,s capabilities what harm can it do to take a look especially if it early days on the job you can determine there and then what the truck should look like comparing that load against you estimated need,s ??
Lets assume you are having Ten loads 3cm and all of them are down even 1/3 of a meter you lose 3 cm over the course of you deliveries someone gets a cheap driveway the driver eats well = you lose
Climbing that ladder could save it from becoming habitual rob the dork he has no idea
your money that you spend as you wish but personally i prefer to check as best i can within my abilities that the goods i paid for are the goods delivered but i don,t live like you in utopia up in the mountains away from this sculduggery
geordie

Postby striker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 am

its very interesting to note, that you have quoted in your posts on this thread that your mil build(thailand) as being a victim to concrete short pay loads, but your mil building story there is no mentioned of this malpractice :o
but you are entitled to your opinions and views ,as much as i am.
striker

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 am

striker wrote:its very interesting to note, that you have quoted in your posts on this thread that your mil build(thailand) as being a victim to concrete short pay loads, but your mil building story there is no mentioned of this malpractice :o
but you are entitled to your opinions and views ,as much as i am.

Firstly it happened there ONCE ? it was spotted imediately so hardly the highlight of the build checking made sure it did not happen again :lol:
The build story was started never finished because it got political one particular idiot had too many own opinions none worth a damm but thats just my opinion which i am also entitled to
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:34 am

I am going to lock this thread for now to cool the situation down a little.
pattayapope

Return to cement, concrete and mortar