Footings, Columns,Beams, and Floor slabs

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Footings, Columns,Beams, and Floor slabs

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:40 pm

splitlid wrote:or you could just add a winder.

That being
Winder.GIF
Winder.GIF (8.42 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

Affect on the bathroom ceiling height?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 pm

BKKBILL wrote:sirineou,,

Got thinking about your stairs again.

Building them with a smaller tread, steeper rise may be within code but that doesn’t make them comfortable in use.

I understand the constraints of your design and a possible solution could be to bump out the outer wall.

This would allow

a smaller rise
larger tread
less room taken up in the hall
a larger bathroom with more head room under the landing.

You could go out as far as the roof drip line without altering it or costing a great deal more.

It is interesting idea, apparently we think alike, :D
I had suggested the same idea to he her a few weeks ago and she said that se did not like the way the outside of the house looked with the bump out.
I personally , think it actually looks better as it gives the house a little character. and it puts the drain of the downstairs bath tight under the drain ou the upstairs bath ,making the plumbing child's play.
In view of the stairs situation I will approach that subject again.
Thank you for than innovative suggestion.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 pm

If you make the bump out continue to the roof line you get that extra space on both floors without adding extra roofing or increasing the costs too much.

But if that's the wife listen to her.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm

MGV12 wrote:
splitlid wrote:or you could just add a winder.

That being
Winder.GIF

Affect on the bathroom ceiling height?

Good idea splitlid but,
winding the landing will only affect the ceiling height, on steps 5-9 by the corresponding height of the rise of each step.
an interesting idea, But the ceiling height of the bathroom is not really an issue, as it is we already have 7 ft of height.
and I am afraid the complexity of the design might be beyond the skills of the builders,( the house is being build by her uncle).
I think the only real solution would be the bump out, that Bill suggested. If we did that I can move the stairs in 25 cm giving me adequate space for 10 inch threads, and increasing the headroom of the stairs to the upstairs hallway, by at least 7 inches . also it will make the front guest bedroom bigger by 1 meter, as I will no longer need to bump the bathroom in to the bedroom.
sirineou

Postby splitlid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 pm

a floor plan would help heaps :)
splitlid

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:09 am

by BKKBILL » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 am

If you make the bump out continue to the roof line you get that extra space on both floors without adding extra roofing or increasing the costs too much.

No this is not my build, I am helping a Thai friend design a home. I f it was my home I would do it a lot different.
Increasing the height of the bump out to the roof is a good idea if I can get rid of the section of ring beam at the stairs return landing, that is in the way, then I can move the stairs back as much as I want. (as much as a meter, and it would eliminate the need or a roof.
by splitlid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 am

a floor plan would help heaps

Image Image
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Just bump the ring beam out, same same.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:55 pm

It could be done as a cantilever on the upper floor only ? downstairs stay the same it just goes out further on the upstairs
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sirineou » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Thank you guys, I am working on a draft design and I will propose it to her.
Question: she went to the home mart in Udon Thani and the quoted her a price for Super Block ( it go's by so many trade names,), 20x60x10 cm block price is 33.50 bath each and the 20x60x20 cm block is 67 bath each , it sounds a little high to me, can you all suggest a more reasonable supplier.
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:15 pm

sirineou wrote:quoted her a price for Super Block ( it go's by so many trade names,), 20x60x10 cm block price is 33.50 bath each and the 20x60x20 cm block is 67 bath each

I have no idea about suppliers or names but in 2010 we paid 45 Baht per 20x20x60 block and this year I was told 50 Baht although the builder might have rounded the price upwards to impress.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:44 pm

sirineou,
That sounds about average for superblock.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:40 pm

I am sure i read somewhere about ordering direct from the supplier and a reasonable saving was acheived
you just have to be accurate with the BoQ its not something you would want to over order :wink:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sirineou » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:23 am

geordie wrote:It could be done as a cantilever on the upper floor only ? downstairs stay the same it just goes out further on the upstairs

We decided to go the whole height of the house for aesthetics.
It is only a 1 meter bump out, do you all think I will need foundation footings for it, or do you think cantilever is sufficient.
Got plenty of room for the stairs now, made the threads 10 inch, and got plenty of headroom between the stairs and the upstairs hallway beam
sirineou

Postby splitlid » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:13 am

MGV12- yes, but one(maybe 2) winders on the landing would have reduced the riser height enough, and had minimal effect on headroom.

sirineau- there are 2 rooms upstairs and one room downstairs which are not identifiable as to what they will be used for, what are they?

also, if you have no footings under the extended stairwell, then you can do away with the columns.
splitlid

Postby sirineou » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:43 am

splitlid wrote:MGV12- yes, but one(maybe 2) winders on the landing would have reduced the riser height enough, and had minimal effect on headroom.

sirineau- there are 2 rooms upstairs and one room downstairs which are not identifiable as to what they will be used for, what are they?

also, if you have no footings under the extended stairwell, then you can do away with the columns.

I Think I need the columns downstairs to support the staircase landing, They might want to eliminate the two columns upstairs,as they are really not supporting anything other than that portion of the roof.
Downstairs the two rooms on either side of the stairs are guest bedrooms, and the room next to that all the way in the back is the kitchen
Upstairs you have the master bedroom next to the bathroom, the room on the other side of the stairs is an office. the two rooms in the front are both bedrooms. I guess they must have a big family.
sirineou

PreviousNext

Return to cement, concrete and mortar