weights and meaures

Almost everything that needs to be said about concrete, cement, hand-mixing, uses and prices has been said on this forum. Please check out the contributions before posting new questions.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

weights and meaures

Postby geordie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Large stone and small stone
Large stone is sold by the cubic meter as is the small having ordered two meters of large one of small i was a bit dissapointed to find not nearly enough stone for even half of what i wanted today i ordered 3 cubes of the large and a meter of sand and a strange thing happened ??
The same truck turned up with roughly the same quantity of materials so it was not rocket science to work out that i was being done over
I pointed out to the driver why had he brought large stone/small stone ?? not sand and where was the rest of it ???
After the usual crap about no that was it i got out a peice of paper and a tape measure and measured the dimentions of the truck body with three cubic meters on it should have been flowing over the side,s the mr,s phoned the company and got the boss out who still disputed what was on the truck was 4 cubic meters ?? so again the truck was measured and a calculator used proving without a doubt the truck loaded level front to back and 150mm above the height of the sided came out as 3 cubic meters therefore yesterday,s delivery was short nearly a meter cube and today 1,1/2 cubes ?? they agreed and compensated me with a cube of sand and a cube of large stone it reinforces my previous statements with short measures
although i will now have to find a different suplier this one got caught and did not like it :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Re: weights and meaures

Postby Nawty » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:31 pm

I love it when they sell rope or wire by the kilo.

How many metres in a kilo ??.......arrr
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby jazzman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:27 pm

They also often sell PVC or rubber hosepipe by the kilo. The answer is to weigh 1 metre then calculate the cost of the length you need;
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Shastadad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:32 am

I ran into a Thai thing yesterday, bought some microbe solution for the septic and the directions stated to use 100 cc of solution

Went to several pharmacies to find something to measure 100 cc and the best I could come up with was a 10 cc syringe that I used 10 times :wink:

If I had an iPhone I could have googled and determined that cc and ml are the same :oops:
Shastadad

Postby thailazer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:03 pm

We were looking at teak beams for a hand rail a few days ago and the used stock was marked with chalk numbers. Turns out the mark was for length in "arms". 9 Arms is about 4 meters. Guess I have to go buy a new tape measure! :?
thailazer

Postby MGV12 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 pm

thailazer wrote:We were looking at teak beams for a hand rail a few days ago and the used stock was marked with chalk numbers. Turns out the mark was for length in "arms". 9 Arms is about 4 meters. Guess I have to go buy a new tape measure! :?

You have to be very careful when buying old wood [amongst other things] as when you ask the price per metre the 'arms' measure is what they may quote you ... circa half a metre.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Shastadad wrote:I ran into a Thai thing yesterday, bought some microbe solution for the septic and the directions stated to use 100 cc of solution

Went to several pharmacies to find something to measure 100 cc and the best I could come up with was a 10 cc syringe that I used 10 times :wink:

If I had an iPhone I could have googled and determined that cc and ml are the same :oops:

I have an I phone :lol: :lol: do not know how to use it :lol: :lol: have used an ais card and true no signal on either so i have decided its not worth the bother it eats a battery overnight ?? so its probably set up wrong as its a new battery do you still think it would have helped :mrgreen:

Maybe they are using arms to measure stone so when you think you are getting a cubic meter ?? they revert to 1 arm x 1 arm x 1arm = 1 cubic arm :(
geordie

Postby cooked » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:10 pm

if it's any comfort, up until recently in Europe you could buy poisonous chemicals stating things like 0.1% or even 0.01% and be faced with incomprehension when you tried to buy something to measure the bloody stuff with. Yoghurt comes in 200ml containers here, for instance, useful for mixing 2-Stroke oil into a 5l can. But people like you are rare, most people just chuck some in, then after second thoughts a bit more, to be sure.
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Don't some people in parts of the world still weigh themselves in stones? Wonder how many of those to a truck?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Don't some people in parts of the world still weigh themselves in stones? Wonder how many of those to a truck?

2.6 cubic meters unles its spilling over the sides but amazingly here they can get four meters on there and still have spare capacity even after i measured the truck with the ""boss"" and proved it they still sent it out next day
short almost a meter ?? i now i will use a different yard their profits must be astonishing on sand and stone for every delivery they sell 3 cubes and win one free 5 deliverys a day and the staff wages are covered

Ps uk has surrendered on that to kilo,s :roll: :roll: i think america still use pound though
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:44 am

geordie wrote:
Ps uk has surrendered on that to kilo,s :roll: :roll: i think america still use pound though

Is it ten per cent[ish] less than the UK pound like their gallon? Thought everything in the US was bigger than anywhere else!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to cement, concrete and mortar